Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile....

Options
  • 29-01-2014 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Been with O2 for a good few years but out of contract now, and it seems that Tesco mobile 12 month sim only plan, €30 a month, 10000 texts and mins, plus 15gb data is the best out there for me.

Any thing I should look out for with tesco mobile, major problems, coverage issues etc.

If there is a better plan out there would appreciate the redirect.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Tesco mobile are using O2 network, so in my experience, it will work exactly the same as it worked for you with O2.
    If price is better, then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 suefox

I'm also thinking of switching from o2 to tesco mobile. I've been on prepay with o2 for 15 years and now finally switching to bill pay. Was automatically going to switch to o2 bill pay but tesco mobile is so much better value (with the exception that they don't do an 18-month contract, at least with the galaxy s5). I'm slow to move from o2 to tesco, though that may just be my prejudice...

Anyone have any advice on if tesco is a reliable / cheap / generally good network? Any catchers for the cheaper price???

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pmct

I was thinking of changing too but I heard somewhere that the 3G speeds are capped at around 2 gb does anybody know if this is true

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

Tesco Mobile is good. I've been with them almost 2 years (got in before the double credit offer ended) and I have no intention of switching.

I find their customer support online (Twitter/Facebook/Boards in that order) better than their phone lines as they have responded faster to my queries there consistently. Note I am not saying the customer support is poor - its very good in fact - I am saying that you'll get a faster response online.

I haven't had coverage issues when travelling to the sticks - Clondalkin has caused me more problems than anywhere else.

Their offers are very good also and hard to beat: only 3, 48 and Lyca come close for the amount of calls, text & data you get for the price you pay.

Problems
    I notice the internet (3g) goes from H+ to H to E to G and back up a fair bit. Its 15gb though, and I'm not using it to torrent stuff and has never caused problems with skype calls or youtube (beyond a bit of buffering for the latter) so I can happily live with it.

One thing I have noticed is the outages: about 3 of them in 18 months where the network reception for everything went and you had to wait (up to 24 hours) for everything to come back. I was luckily able to chat to them via hotel wifi to find out what was going on but it was a surprise the first time - they were faster to respond to the problem the other times. It hasn't happened in months, thankfully but is something to be aware of. I'm assuming most, if not all other networks go down for maintenance or similar issues from time to time.

The downsides weren't enough to put me off them though and I've stuck with them and been happy to do so, recommending them to herself and to friends of mine looking to switch network or move from bill to top-ups. Getting bonus clubcard points is a nice perk too.

Advertisement