Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

amiable wrote: »
    I like juror number 5, he's not mine so I can't comment on him, but I'd love him in my side

Latest ...

Harry has reported Roberto Mancini to the FA after Mancini waved an imaginary tax return at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

jenno86 wrote: »
    Rightyo, about to start the road to Anfield. On my way to Knock. Come on you reds, YNWA.

Please make lots and lots of noise when we don't have the ball and try to make those around you do the same! :)

Enjoy the game, hopefully it will be one to remember for all the right reasons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Wonder if the mirror will have a huge "Crook" or Fraudster" headline on the back of the paper if he's found guilty. Will they fck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Gordon Banks Here's John Martin with the tale: "Banks became a legend at Liverpool in the 1960s and early 70s on two entirely different counts. After Liverpool won promotion back to the old First Division in 1962 their progress to the upper echelons of the English game was halted on a regular basis whenever they played Leicester City for whom Banks used to produce performances of unbelievable agility and seemed to hold the Reds at bay almost single handedly season after season, so much so that he became public enemy No1 on the Kop. All this changed after a sixth round FA Cup tie in 1965 had ended goalless at Filbert Street, thanks again to Banks, and the replay on the following Wednesday was one of Anfield's great Cup nights. The Leicester goalie was once again magnificent and it looked as though he was going to defy us yet again but with less than 20 minutes to go Roger Hunt rifled home a shot that even Banks couldn't stop that proved to be the only goal of the tie. Obviously those of us on the Kop were ecstatic when the referee blew the final whistle but a seminal moment had arrived because Banks, before he walked from the Kop goal that he had been defending, turned and applauded our vocal encouragement of our team. Instantly he was transformed from enemy to bosom pal and he became just about the most favourite visiting player ever to appear at Anfield."

Thought this was a nice story.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jan/25/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wonder if the mirror will have a huge "Crook" or Fraudster" headline on the back of the paper if he's found guilty. Will they fck.

The media and FA will be funking hard for a fine here and no sentence. The public are stupid, and if he stays out of jail they will forget this one sharpish. If he does time (even if it was three weeks or something) it will utterly change their perception.

From the court proceedings thus far, it is clear that the guy is ethically bankrupt.

• Advertisement

Another article from the Guardian.
    Steven Gerrard has the offer of an ambassador's role from Liverpool but they are not spoiling him yet. The 31-year-old, along with the rest of Kenny Dalglish's squad, was subject to another calm, composed but cutting critique before training at Melwood on Monday as the manager showed that two nights' sleep had not lessened his disgust at their performance against Bolton. It seems it was forever thus for Liverpool's talismanic captain – backed into a corner and challenged to respond.

Manchester City's arrival at Anfield for Wednesday night's Carling Cup semi-final second leg marks the start of a four-day period in which Liverpool could knock both Manchester clubs from domestic cup competition and book a first appearance at Wembley for 16 years or retreat into renewed self-doubt as City and United move further into the distance while hysteria attaches itself to Dalglish's rebuilding work. There is no middle to squeeze at Liverpool.

Gerrard, of course, has seen it all before and, having converted the penalty that separated the semi-finalists in the first leg, he will be the man Liverpool turn to for the way through once again. The difference in this potentially defining week, however, is that the most strident criticism of Liverpool came from their own manager, a man immersed in the traditions and expectations that he declared his team betrayed at the Reebok on Saturday night.

"It was definitely justified," Gerrard admits. "When you put in a performance like we did as a group you expect criticism, especially from your manager. Kenny spoke in the dressing room after the game and on Monday before training. He wasn't angry, he just said it as it was. He didn't lose his rag or his control. He told individuals and us as a group that it wasn't acceptable. As captain of the team that is down to me and he went through all of us."

Gerrard does not dispute Dalglish's claim that the City second leg contributed to the complacent showing at Bolton. "We didn't need telling really. I knew at half-time and I knew after the game that that hadn't been good enough. Maybe the lads had one eye on this and one eye on that. At the start of the season the big objective for this club was top four so, if you look at it that way, Bolton is bigger than Manchester City." He rejects outright, however, the idea that the 3-1 defeat represents an opportune wake-up call ahead of City and Saturday's inflamed FA Cup fourth-round tie with Manchester United.

"There is no good time to perform like that when you play for this club," he says, the disdain clear in his voice. "You have to win every game. The people new to the club will appreciate and understand that a bit more after a performance like that. You can't do it here. The fans won't accept it, they don't deserve it. It's not allowed. Otherwise you get criticised by your manager, like we have all experienced. I have been here a long time and experienced days like that and the important thing is to move on from it fast. If we perform like that against Manchester City, there will be no Wembley trip."

Dalglish said players would be moved on if the attitude at Bolton prevailed. His problem is that five of the team that started against Owen Coyle's then bottom-placed team were his signings and Craig Bellamy, the veteran signed on a free, was the only one to impress. The £75m spent on Andy Carroll, Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing remains a weight on the manager and, with the occasional exception from Henderson, poor value for Fenway Sports Group, the club's owner.

Gerrard says only: "Those players know themselves. They know how they are playing. They know what form they are in. What I can say is that those players are working so hard to put in good performances. They are not giving up, they are not throwing the towel in, they are working day in, day out. The effort is there. Maybe they just need a little bit of luck, something to turn their way and they can go on a fine run. We all know those three players you have mentioned are good players."

An outlay of over £100m in the past 12 months by Dalglish and Fenway, with £50m recouped from the sale of Fernando Torres alone, has not transformed Liverpool from a team hovering above the relegation zone when Roy Hodgson was sacked last January into convincing contenders for Champions League qualification. But they are where most expected them to be; competing for a top-four finish, playing far better football – Bolton being the most obvious exception – than in recent seasons and a home draw away from a first visit to Wembley since the 1996 FA Cup final. The murmurs of discontent about Dalglish, and not for his handling of the Luis Suárez controversy, have not escaped Gerrard.

"Our targets were to get into the top four and go on two long runs in the cup and it's still possible. Why change? Why are we crying out for change?" he asks. "We're six points off fourth and there are 16 games left. You're not telling me that this team and the players we've got here are not capable of making that up? The sides who we are competing with aren't on all-out consistent runs. Man United got beat 3-0 by Newcastle the other week, Chelsea drew with Norwich and Arsenal have lost their last three. Why isn't it possible? Why are people crying out for change?

"Don't get me wrong, it's not all great here. We've got a fight on for fourth but we had a fight on at the start of the season, when we were telling people our aims for the season. Of course you go into every season wondering if you can get into the title race but at the moment we're not in it and our realistic aim at the start was top four and two good long runs in the cup. At the end of this week we could be going to Wembley, we could be in the fifth round of the FA Cup and six points off fourth. The flip side of that is different but big weeks happen at big clubs and this is a big week."

And what would it mean to the Huyton-born midfielder to lead Liverpool out at Wembley? "Nothing," he states. "But to lift the cup at Wembley would mean an awful lot. To get to Wembley is the target, to win it is the dream."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jan/25/steven-gerrard-liverpool-manchester-city-semi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

i will not have this thread go onto page 2.

Get up there !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Ben Smith of the Times doesn't think liverpool will sign David Texeira

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Yeah, but on the other hand David Texeira is pretty sure Liverpool won't sign Ben Smith of the Times

Yeah, but on the other hand David Texeira is pretty sure Liverpool won't sign Ben Smith of the Times

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Zing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Every website I look at.....make that, every sport related website i look at has us linked with that left sided player for Udinese for about 15 mil.

I dont know much about him, but apparently he is pretty handy.

Anywho, I'm pretty nervous about tonight, rarely do I get like this about a game. The prospect of a cup final feels good, even if it's not a pretigious cup, its still an important cup that LFC are still in with a shout of lifting.
    Winning one thing gives motivation to win more. Hopefully it can kick start something for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone reckon Carroll will get a run out tonight?

It's hard to know what to do with him now tbh...he seems to be losing confidence every time he plays. I really thought the Suarez suspension would give him a chance to settle down, establish himself, grab a few goals and move up the goalscoring charts away from the likes of Torres and Howard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Carroll to get a hattrick. I can feel it.

He got an assist for Bellers the last time they played together so I think the two should start.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I reckon Carroll might be on the bench along with Bellers. The 2 could be brought on as impact players if required.

What we need is a steady ship and not to conceed, so not much emphasis on attack is required. But it would be great to get somethign on the break. So i'm guessing Kuyt will be up top alone, Downing on the left for a bit of pace on the break, and Maxi for a bit of crafty play on the right.

Then 3 in the middle that wont venture to far up the pitch unless we conceed.

Or Kenny could spring a suprise and go all out attack from the 1st minute because they wont be expecting that.

You need an outlet though and what better outlet tahn a fired up Bellamy playing against his old club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

He got an assist for Bellers the last time they played together so I think the two should start.

Agreed. Good strong header it was too. Carroll was actually half-decent against Bolton. It's a shame he had to come back into his own half to get the ball so often though.

You need an outlet though and what better outlet tahn a fired up Bellamy playing against his old club.

He's played alot of football lately, we dont want to send him to the glue factory just yet.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    He's played alot of football lately, we dont want to send him to the glue factory just yet.

Well maybe I should rephrase it, If the medical team think Bellamy is Ok to play I think he should definitely start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Well maybe I should rephrase it, If the medical team think Bellamy is Ok to play I think he should definitely start

He'd be my first name on the sheet tbh.

If we start tonight's game like we finished the last leg we will loose .

We need a confident steady start and the key tonight is good possession .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I wonder will Kenny spring a surprise tonight by having any of Sterling, Amoo, Suso etc on the bench as consequence of the ****e performance against Bolton?

Would love Sterling to start getting first team game time (even if he has been slightly off form with the reserves lately)

I would imagine at some point Carra will be on (if he doesn't start) and it will be a case of hoof it up to Carroll to either get it away from our box or for Carroll to try and knock it on so we can score.

I dont envisage any sexy football what so ever tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Bellamy, has to play tonight, and I think Carroll should start too. Saw some signs ( albeit rare ) of coherence against Bolton to show they may make a good partnership. Really think Carroll will pull one out of the bag for us tonight ( can feel it in my water ), would love for the guy score one to be honest. But i dont think we should 'park the bus', its Anfield, its our ground, lets show em whos boss!!!!

I would imagine at some point Carra will be on (if he doesn't start) and it will be a case of hoof it up to Carroll to either get it away from our box or for Carroll to try and knock it on so we can score.

I dont envisage any sexy football what so ever tonight.

If the plan is what is in bold above then i don't hold much hope .

Kenny has far too much experience to think we would get away with what we done in the last 25mins last week by starting this game in a similar manner , nor do i think will he go with a plan that keeps hoofing it up to the front men .

Im hoping the parking or the bus last week was just to get out of there with the 1-0 win and we wont see similar til probably the last 10mins if we are still winning.

If we play with confidence and keep possession , good movement and be creative then i am confident we will make it .

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Fowler87 wrote: »
    I wonder will Kenny spring a surprise tonight by having any of Sterling, Amoo, Suso etc on the bench as consequence of the ****e performance against Bolton?

Would love Sterling to start getting first team game time (even if he has been slightly off form with the reserves lately)

Highly unlikely I think. If we were playing a lower league team and a couple of goals to the good then yes, but not the league leaders in a touch and go scenario imo, despite the scathing criticism last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

First QF in the Nextgen series is on tonight and should be a cracker but it is on at the same time as our game - Sporting V Inter.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Pepe

Johnson---Skrtel
    Carra---Enrique

Agger

Gerrard---Henderson

Kuyt
    Downing or Maxi

Bellamy

What I would like to see tonight.

Opr