Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

I'd like to believe we are capable of winning both cups and finishing 4th also. Since when did LFC settle for less. All the players are well paid pro's and need to remember they are playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world and with that comes huge responsibility and 100% effort and positive attitude for every match. Until the team learns that playing the likes of Bolton or Stoke takes the same commitment as when playing your United's/City's/Chelsea's or whoever we will never achieve much. I expect Kenny will let the players know as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Blatter wrote: »
    Why do you think that? Isn't Liverpool's revenue similar to Spurs'? And Spurs have plenty of quality players, many of whom are only going to get better; Bale, Kaboul, Lennon, Modric, Walker, Sandro, BAE, Livermore etc. supplemented by the likes of VDV, King, Dawson, Parker, Huddlestone, Defoe, Gallas, Pienaar etc.

If they do end up selling Bale and/or Modric eventually they well get an absolute fortune for both. And if they were to reinvest that money correctly, they could become even better. They are very likely to be in the CL next season, so may spend a fair bit of money improving an already very good squad in the Summer - and Redknapp is likely to leave and I can see them attracting a top class manager.

I agree with your point in general that people are often too short sighted and place far too much emphasis on what is happening in the present as an indication as to what will happen in the future, but I'm not sure I can see how one can say Liverpool have better medium to long term prospects that Spurs. They seem to be very well placed for the future as far as I can see.

My understanding is that Liverpool have a significantly broader revenue base than Spurs considering recent commercial agreements (also 8.5k more seats in Anfield too if I remember correctly and they have probably maxed out what can be reasonably charged for tickets). I also think that they are going to suffer the loss of key players within the next couple of years for various reasons, and probably their current manager also. For better or worse, the Spurs team that took the field yesterday will probably look very different to the Spurs team that takes the field two / three years hence.

This year they have played essentially a scratch side in cup competitions and they will have to do a lot of strengthening to feasibly compete in both the CL and Prem. It would also require a significant shift in owner mentality, considering the reluctance over recent seasons to have a significant net spend in the transfer market.

Obviously, all those hurdles could be jumped. But comparatively, Liverpool have owners willing to spend who are commercially saavy and already committed to the restructure of our squad. My belief is that we will be in better shape than Spurs because of a more settled and solid squad following the next three or four transfer windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Liverpool have owners willing to spend who are commercially saavy and already committed to the restructure of our squad.

Haven't seen the required coughing up of dough this transfer window.
    My belief is that we will be in better shape than Spurs because of a more settled and solid squad following the next three or four transfer windows.

We're in the middle of a transfer window. Some people are talking about transfer windows as if there all off in the distant future.

And there's more to it than Spurs. NUFC are sniffin' around these days. City have become a force which they weren't when we played CL football. Thats one less possible top 4 place for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Spearing to play v City and Utd?

I fúcking hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd like to believe we are capable of winning both cups and finishing 4th also. Since when did LFC settle for less. All the players are well paid pro's and need to remember they are playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world and with that comes huge responsibility and 100% effort and positive attitude for every match. Until the team learns that playing the likes of Bolton or Stoke takes the same commitment as when playing your United's/City's/Chelsea's or whoever we will never achieve much. I expect Kenny will let the players know as much.

Since we've consistently achieved less maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

ush wrote: »
    Liverpool have owners willing to spend who are commercially saavy and already committed to the restructure of our squad.

Haven't seen the required coughing up of dough this transfer window.
    My belief is that we will be in better shape than Spurs because of a more settled and solid squad following the next three or four transfer windows.

We're in the middle of a transfer window. Some people are talking about transfer windows as if there all off in the distant future.

And there's more to it than Spurs. NUFC are sniffin' around these days. City have become a force which they weren't when we played CL football. Thats one less possible top 4 place for us.

--> **our transfer window starts 31/1/2012 23:00 GMT**

Hot damn son, you are quite the depressive!
    Haven't seen the required coughing up of dough this transfer window

Hadn't completed a deal this time last year either! And I would prefer to stand pat till the summer if it means overpaying or panic buying.

Yeah City are magnificent and all conquering. But Arsenal have regressed significantly and have major issues with the current make up of their squad and how difficult it would be for a different manager to restructure (it's built to play a certain type of football).

Newcastle have depended hugely on a player with massive medical issues around him, and have enjoyed general overperformance from a couple of players in their defensive rotation. Pardew deserves a lot of credit, but I'm not worried (OMG! THEY'RE AHEAD OF US IN THE LEAGUE).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Liverpool are leading the chase to sign Udinese defender Mauricio Isla - region of £10m.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1484/32/liverpool-eyeing-%C2%A310m-rated-udinese-defender

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

opr wrote: »
    Liverpool are leading the chase to sign Udinese defender Mauricio Isla - region of £10m.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1484/32/liverpool-eyeing-%C2%A310m-rated-udinese-defender

Opr

Don't believe that for a sec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

manual_man wrote: »
    Liverpool will sign Andy Johnson. Kenny told me

A cross between Andy Carrol and Glen Johnson?? Excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Opr

Doubt there is anything to it. But he is meant to be a smashing player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Opr

??

IF true must be planned to play a more midfield defensive role ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mixednuts wrote: »
    ??

IF true must be planned to play a more midfield defensive role ?

Two far superior players in the Chilean midfield that I would have in a heartbeat before him.

Vidal at Juve (no chance of us getting him imho but fantastic player) or Medel at Sevilla (Think Mascherano but a few notches up in terms of timing and aggression)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Kess73 wrote: »
    Two far superior players in the Chilean midfield that I would have in a heartbeat before him.

Vidal at Juve (no chance of us getting him imho but fantastic player) or Medel at Sevilla (Think Mascherano but a few notches up in terms of timing and aggression)

He's bloody mental :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Within the next 4-5 years City are going to be the only guarantee for a CL position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

But how long will Chelsea and Arsenal be floundering? Is a rubbish excuse to be honest. They are floundering and we still can't catch them. Now is the time to overtake them, not when they are strong. When Rafa was here he was competing with an extremely strong trio of Chelsea, Utd and Arsenal.

Knex. wrote: »

He is indeed. :D

Medel ..fcuk yea ! ..small , fast , niggling terrier .

How much do you reckon his current value is ?

Knex. wrote: »

No he is just misunderstood .

Medel would seem a good signing to me, but there has been no real sign that C and K are interested in him. In the same way that we discussed Arda Turan in here an awful lot the 18 months before he moved for a cut price fee.

Our near misses last summer included Jones and Wickam - the current MO does not involve the likes of Medel it seems...

• Advertisement

Medel ..fcuk yea ! ..small , fast , niggling terrier .

How much do you reckon his current value is ?

No idea. Would guess at around the €15m mark.

Himself and Moussa Sissoko were two I was dreaming of the summer before last.

He is pretty much Bellamy on steroids in terms of on pitch will to win and niggly personality. Very strong and very good at timing tackles. Decent passer as well. He is brilliant to watch against Barca and Real. Pretty much has taken Messi and Xavi out of the equastion with his reading of the game
    in two games for Sevilla against Barca, and he gave Xabi a torrid time when playing against Real, one of the few players that I have seen able to fluster Alonso into making mistakes.

Vidal would be a much better all round player than Medel imho, as Vidal can pretty much do it all in midfield and is as potent in attack as he is solid in defence, but Medel would be a nice addition and in terms of being a pure DM he would probably be better than anyone we have, Lucas included which is no small praise.

Medel would seem a good signing to me, but there has been no real sign that C and K are interested in him. In the same way that we discussed Arda Turan in here an awful lot the 18 months before he moved for a cut price fee.

Our near misses last summer included Jones and Wickam - the current MO does not involve the likes of Medel it seems...

Would appear like you are correct in terms of what we seem to look at. Madness not to be looking at some of the cut price players around Europe though. We missed out on some crackers in the last window.

Would love to see Medel in a Liverpool jersey and up against say Rooney.

I reckon he would have Rooney sent off within the first 10mins .:p

Only thing that would concern me would be the dire level and standard of the Refs in the EPL .
    I could see Medel getting sent off double the the amount of times deserved .They wouldn't be able to handle him .

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Kind of player I'd like to see at Anfield. You compare him to Mascherano and rightly so, great and all Lucas has turned out to be but I think players were more fearful of Mascherano and Medel would bring that.... watched bits of Sevilla's Copa match against Valencia the other night and he played very well.

Would love to see Medel in a Liverpool jersey and up against say Rooney.

I reckon he would have Rooney sent off within the first 10mins .:p

Only thing that would concern me would be the dire level and standard of the Refs in the EPL .
    I could see Medel getting sent off double the the amount of times deserved .They wouldn't be able to handle him .

Just imagine Suarez, Bellamy, and Medel in the same team.:D The will to win would be extreme, not to mention the niggly stuff.

Or just imagine Medel seeing one of his teammates gettingf some rough treatment. He would be like a heat seeker after whatever player was trying the rough stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Hadn't completed a deal this time last year either! And I would prefer to stand pat till the summer if it means overpaying or panic buying.

Phew, still time to sign an Andy Carroll then.

Yeah City are magnificent and all conquering. But Arsenal have regressed significantly and have major issues with the current make up of their squad and how difficult it would be for a different manager to restructure (it's built to play a certain type of football).

Newcastle have depended hugely on a player with massive medical issues around him, and have enjoyed general overperformance from a couple of players in their defensive rotation. Pardew deserves a lot of credit, but I'm not worried (OMG! THEY'RE AHEAD OF US IN THE LEAGUE).

Arsenal and Chelsea have problems and are also in a transitional stage. And we still haven't taken advantage of that.

And my points about NUFC and THFC aren't so much that they're ahead of us, but rather that we haven't stamped our authority on the league. Which we would have done if hadn't been faffing about in the league cup. Too much energy wasted defending Suarez with an ill-advised strategy. And too much focus will be spent on the domestic cups. Look at the league games after this week.

I don't think we can continue the position we have, in the greater scheme of things, solely based on historical reasons. Alot of the revenue from internet streaming that FSW are counting on requires continued success on the pitch.

Another 5-10 years tops. And every transfer window that isn't capitalised on will make it harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Richard_Buxton_ Richard Buxton
    Martin Atkinson will referee Saturday's FA Cup clash between #LFC & #MUFC. Howard Webb has been appointed 4th official for game at Anfield.

uh oh

Would appear like you are correct in terms of what we seem to look at. Madness not to be looking at some of the cut price players around Europe though. We missed out on some crackers in the last window.

And the likes of Krasic and VDV the previous summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I wouldn't like VDV at Liverpool.

Maybe that's irrational, but I've never been bothered we didn't get him.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I wouldn't like VDV at Liverpool.

Maybe that's irrational, but I've never been bothered we didn't get him.

*Shrugs* Rather him than Henderson - les than half the price too. That summer we got the mighty Joe Cole, and they got a productive creator for significantly less in wages.

God, we really have sucked in the transfer market the last few years...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement