Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12-Jan 2012 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Skrtel has been awesome of late. Man of the Match for me against Utd. Really impressed how calm and assured he has been on the ball and has become a threat in the oppositions box as well.

Agreed. He went through such a rough patch last year but with Agger alongside him he's so much more confident to pass the ball out of defence as opposed to the inevitable panicked hoof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Johnson would not provide the same threat from RM at all.

he doesn't have the trickery.

the fact he can make runs from deep, i.e. the RB position, is far more suited to him.

i think he can play RM, but he would not be the success many seem to convince themselves that he would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

SlickRic wrote: »
    i think he can play RM, but he would not be the success many seem to convince themselves that he would be.

One of the most common misconceptions of the football fan. Attacking fullback? 'Shur, he's great going forward but can't defend - play him as a winger!'

These guys don't play fullback for the craic. They've been doing it since they were kids, and the nous and feel in terms of positioning is completely different for either position. For better or worse, Johnson is a right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Morzadec wrote: »
    Just to clarify Spearing is 23, Kess was saying that he was turning 25. He's not, he'll be 24 in November.

Players are bound to improve playing competitive high level matches. Spearing is doing that. He's no kid but I believe he will get even better, as I feel his position is one in which you learn a lot and develop from playing at the highest level - positionally, tactically, time on the ball etc... How much has Lucas improved in the last year (Lucas is a year and a bit older than Spearing)? Spearing's development has not finished imo. I think he definitely has the ability to be a useful squad player/option for a top 4 side.

I wrote him off prior to Kenny's arrival too by the way, but I think it's unfair, based on his performances at the end of last season and deputising for Lucas so far, to say he's not good enough to be a backup/option for us if we have top 4 aspirations.

It will be interesting to see if I'm proved right anyway, because I expect him to be one of the first names on the team sheet for the remainder of the season, so we'll get to see lots of what he offers and if he continues to develop as he has been.

I got his age wrong then. He is turning 24 this year.

One of the posts last night said that Spearing is better on the ball than Mascherano. Mascherano at 23 going on 24 was one of our best players, one of the best in the world in his role, and pretty good on the ball as well despite what many now like to say about him.

Including his time out on loan to Leicester in the Championship, Spearing has a whole 24 league games worth of experience since the start of the 2008 season. He has a further 19 cup games in that period. Says a lot about his ability that even with Lucas out that Spearing was not put in the side as a regular when not suspended.

I really don't see the big potential that some seem to see in the guy.

Hard working? Yes very much so.

Honest type player on the pitch? I would say so.

Not the type to hide on the pitch? He is no hider.

Has his level of play/ability seen decent jumps in quality over the last three years? I don't think so. He still seems pretty much at the same level as he did a few years back. Capable of the odd shift now and then, but that's about it.

Any comparisons to Lucas or Mascherano at the same age are a joke imho as last season Lucas was the age Spearing is now, and Lucas was as good last season for Liverpool as he was this season.

I think if Spearing was at another club and he got linked to Liverpool as a potential transfer target that the idea would be scoffed at. Very limited player who is a very hard worker with a very good attitude, and one who woulod not get a sniff at the first team if the squad had even semi decent cover for the DM role. If he had the talent to match his attitude and workrate he would be a Messi level player imho.

Skrtel has been awesome of late. Man of the Match for me against Utd. Really impressed how calm and assured he has been on the ball and has become a threat in the oppositions box as well.

Ever since Carragher has been dropped, Skrtel has really impressed with Agger beside him.

I have been very critical of Skrtel in the past and at times I thought he was a level or so below current Carragher and that he was causing more problems in defence than Carragher, but man was I wrong on that.

Carragher out seems to have been the making of Skrtel, and Agger's leadership/organisation at the back really seems to suit Skrtel's personality. Agger seems to be very quick to give a thumbs up or a slap on the back anytime Skrtel does well, and Skrtel seems to have gained confidence and is putting in some damn impressive shifts at times. Sure he still makes a few mistakes from time to time, but nowhere near as often as he used to.

His change in form this season is amazing, he look slow, nervous and error prone for the opening third of the season, then Carragher got injured and then dropped and suddenly Skrtel is as close to that cliche of being like a new signing as I have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/portuguese-youngster-joins-academy
    Joao Carlos Teixeira will join Liverpool's Academy after the formalities of his transfer from Sporting Lisbon were completed.

The 19-year-old Portuguese youth international played and scored against the Reds earlier this season at Anfield in the NexGen series.

Nice! Let's try and develop this one though, shall we?

I think OPR was getting a bit of a sweat on worrying about him:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Just hearing John Terry's trial suspended until after the euros. How brave. You couldnt write this sh1t.:mad:

Just hearing John Terry's trial suspended until after the euros. How brave. You couldnt write this sh1t.:mad:

Not suspended. Todays hearing was to set the court date AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Initial hearing only for the plea, he pleaded not guilty and the trail date set for 9 July. Nothing remotely odd or unusual about that.

amiable wrote: »
    Not suspended. Todays hearing was to set the court date AFAIK
    Double standards. Stinks to high heaven.

Wind your neck in! The two cases are in no way comparable, one is a legal charge and dealt with on that basis the other wasn't.

mike65 wrote: »
    Initial hearing only for the plea, he pleaded not guilty and the trail date set for 9 July. Nothing remotely odd or unusual about that.

I think his defence team asked for it to be put back.

Double Standards by the British Legal System?

There are no double standards here, just different standards. There was no criminal case against Suarez, so it allowed space for the invention of an FA case conducted by their kangaroo court procedures.

In Terry's case, there are criminal proceedings, and such procedures are lengthy and thorough. It takes time. Additionally, because there is a criminal case, the FA's hands are tied.

So, because Suarez didn't behave as recklessly he left himself more open to being savagely victimised. Is that fair? No. But such is life.

I think his defence team asked for it to be put back.

Pretty sure that is correct. Terry did not turn up himself today, but a plea of not guilty was lodged by his team. I see that if Terry were to be found guilty come November, he would face a £2,500 fine. Some difference to what Suarez got at a Civil hearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Kess73 wrote: »
    Ever since Carragher has been dropped, Skrtel has really impressed with Agger beside him.

I have been very critical of Skrtel in the past and at times I thought he was a level or so below current Carragher and that he was causing more problems in defence than Carragher, but man was I wrong on that.

Carragher out seems to have been the making of Skrtel, and Agger's leadership/organisation at the back really seems to suit Skrtel's personality. Agger seems to be very quick to give a thumbs up or a slap on the back anytime Skrtel does well, and Skrtel seems to have gained confidence and is putting in some damn impressive shifts at times. Sure he still makes a few mistakes from time to time, but nowhere near as often as he used to.

His change in form this season is amazing, he look slow, nervous and error prone for the opening third of the season, then Carragher got injured and then dropped and suddenly Skrtel is as close to that cliche of being like a new signing as I have ever seen.

And how great has it been to have Agger in the team more often than not. If he could stay like that it will be a great foundation to start building the team on

Pretty sure that is correct. Terry did not turn up himself today, but a plea of not guilty was lodged by his team. I see that if Terry were to be found guilty come November, he would face a £2,500 fine. Some difference to what Suarez got at a Civil hearing.

A £2,500 fine is the maximum punishment he can face AFAIK.

Does that mean he can't receive another fine from the FA if he is found guilty?

But if found guilty Terry would have a criminal conviction against his name forever and that is the real price, no MLS wind down for him!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

And how great has it been to have Agger in the team more often than not. If he could stay like that it will be a great foundation to start building the team on

Have to agree that having DAgger as a regular starter has improved things alot. It also allowed Skittles to move to his more natural right side of the back pairing.

My one concern about DAgger is his representation, his agent seems to be coming out with comments periodically that he should be playing at a better club or more often. I'm guessing that his agent is looking for a payday, but lets hope that Dagger looks past this nad focuses on LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I think if he is found guilty the FA are going to charge him.
    They can fine him, ban him or both hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    his agent seems to be coming out with comments periodically that he should be playing at a better club or more often. I'm guessing that his agent is looking for a payday, but lets hope that Dagger looks past this nad focuses on LFC.

I've never seen any stories from his agent but if true then I hope he gets a new one! Have you any links?

tok9 wrote: »
    I've never seen any stories from his agent but if true then I hope he gets a new one! Have you any links?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jan/15/daniel-agger-liverpool-ac-milan

I reckon that if he is found guilty and fined £2,500, you will see the FA come out and say that the courts ruled on the case and that will be that.

What is interesting is that there is no major media outcry at Terry's claim that what he said was taken out of context, whereas with Suarez things like context etc were thrown out the window by many as a lot of people said that if you live in England then you should know what words never to use.

Well Terry is an Englishman living in England and has never lived anywhere else, so it is a shame in many ways that his case is not going to go through the same civil proceedings as the Suarez case, as it would have been very interesting to see how the FA dealt with it if it was put upon them to do so.

mike65 wrote: »
    Wind your neck in! The two cases are in no way comparable, one is a legal charge and dealt with on that basis the other wasn't.
    No. Do u think if Terry wasnt british he would have got that sort of treatment. The FA and the whole xenophobia aspect of English football is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    There are no double standards here, just different standards.

The FA don't have standards. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

On tonight the spurs next gen team has been weakened a bit by loan moves for some of our players and Lancaster making his debut last night.

Hoping for a good performance though we have some promising players coming through.

Lancaster hasn't featured in the Nextgen series apart from one game as a sub for 20 minutes. I don't think anyone from the Nextgen team went on loan ?

Anyways it is suppose to be a cracking Spurs youth side. Really looking forward to it as well.

Opr

You know well what im saying. Terry is getting treated differently than Suarez because he' s an English international.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

tok9 wrote: »

If you google Agger + Agent you will see plently. His agent always seems to be talking about AC Milan and about denying there is any interest from Milan.

Now, there is never any mention of AC Milan and Agger except for what his agent is saying. And if there is one club in the world who like to blab about who thier targets are, it's Milan and Galianno or whatever his name is.

So his agent his pulling this out of his bum hole to try get a move and a pay day for himself.
    I cant find the particular artcile i was looking for on his agent saying he belonged at a bigger club, I think it was during the summer when he said this.

Oh, and did we sign Terry yesterday? A lot of talk about him here today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement