Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networks moving away from handset subsidy

Options
  • 07-12-2012 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭

Saw this interesting article on Engadget.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/06/t-mobile-value-plans/#comments

A trend which seems to happening more commonly across the world, networks are getting tired of giving away "free" smartphones in exchange for a customer to sign up to a contract.

It's a interesting idea, as I know myself I would be very cautious over signing into a 2 year contract.
    I would happily take the better value for money price plan.

Not sure if it will happen in Ireland anytime soon, as the market would simply not allow it, people are not yet "conditioned" to spend as much on a phone as they would on a computer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I would be cautious too, I rather buy the phone at some kind of price, I feel I wouldn't be getting the benefit of buying a smartphone without paying for it. On PAYG you at least pay for the price of the phone with credit added to it which makes the value of it a little bit better than getting it free just cause you get it on contract there is always a catch unless you entitled to an upgrade if you already on bill pay.

Advertisement