Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone recommendations

Options
  • 08-12-2010 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

Iv had my not so trusty c905 since the phone launched(3 faulty ear pieces) and iv been recently thinking of upgrading as smart phones these days are ridiculously powerful.

Anyway, iv been doing my homework on all the different android phones but so far I haven't found anything that's ticked all my boxes. As you might be able to tell by my last phone I love to be able to take a decent picture. Im finding it pretty hard however to find anything android that is keeping up in this regard.

Ideally id want 8mp with a xenon flash but I would settle for an led flash and 5mp if it was decent. The Samsung galaxy would be perfect if it had a flash. I also looked into the Sony ericsson xperia x10, but I heard that the branded software was rubbish and that sony ericsson are terrible to updating with android. Also a major deal breaker for me is the fact that according to gsm arena there is no landscape texting. This is a feature that I dont reckon I could live without.

Am I wrong to disregard the xperia here? Is it possible to download an unbranded android update myself and install it?

If anyone else has any more recommendations that would be great. I dont mind waiting a few months to wait for a phone to be released also if there is something is on the horizon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

A lot of Android phones don't have great cameras as yet.
    You will most likely pay a lot for it.
    For a top of teh range example I give you the HTC DesireHD.
    Should fit nearly all your needs, but it is pricey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Desire_HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Patricide wrote: »
    Ideally id want 8mp with a xenon flash I also looked into the Sony ericsson xperia x10, but I heard that the branded software was rubbish and that sony ericsson are terrible to updating with android. Also a major deal breaker for me is the fact that according to gsm arena there is no landscape texting. This is a feature that I dont reckon I could live without.

You can landscape text with the X10. It does not have a flash and that is a drawback as the light on it means one is taking available light photos and this can lead to softer pics than the camera/lens is otherwise capable of.

The software is MEH! Just install it for the support and just don't use it except for updates. It show up as an app so you can drag n drop, it faster than going through the software anyway.

Camera and video are good in good light, pity it does not have a flash.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This should be coming out fairly soon:

http://www.google.com/nexus/#!/tech-specs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

gbee wrote: »
    You can landscape text with the X10. It does not have a flash and that is a drawback as the light on it means one is taking available light photos and this can lead to softer pics than the camera/lens is otherwise capable of.

The software is MEH! Just install it for the support and just don't use it except for updates. It show up as an app so you can drag n drop, it faster than going through the software anyway.

Camera and video are good in good light, pity it does not have a flash.
    O, Actually I didnt mean software that comes with it. Im more talking about the sony ericsson branded android UI. Iv heard that the time and mediascape ui take a toll on its performance. I mean to be honest id rather just have stock android but I dont know if its possible.

Right now SE just released 2.1 android on this phone although the latest is 2.3. Is it possible to download stock 2.3 and throw it on the phone instead of the SE branded android? This is a major point of confusion with me and android.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

I'm in the same boat! Am looking for an upgrade phone for meteor.
    something in the same lines as the iphone.
    HTC desire or samsung galaxy
    are they similar or which would you go for??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

So are you looking for a camera or a phone?

Phone camera will never match the quality of a standalone camera in the coming years.

There was one Samsung phone that was heavily dedicated for pictures but its not available in Ireland. Looked like a camera from the back and phone from the front :)

Either way your asking too much from a phone.

So are you looking for a camera or a phone?

Phone camera will never match the quality of a standalone camera in the coming years.

There was one Samsung phone that was heavily dedicated for pictures but its not available in Ireland. Looked like a camera from the back and phone from the front :)

Either way your asking too much from a phone.
    Im looking for snaps comparable to my c905. Im not looking for an slr here or anything. But I find my c905 more than up to the task for taking my snaps at the moment.

5starpool wrote: »
    This should be coming out fairly soon:

http://www.google.com/nexus/#!/tech-specs
    Seen that but I heard the price will be 600 euro. Around 400 is ok but 600 is the straw that breaks the camels back. If I could find one second hand later on though il look into it.

In any case its arrival may start a lot of people wanting to get rid of there "old" smartphones leading to price drops on the second hand market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

No they wont. One phone wont make a difference.

Edit: current hardware hasn't changed alot sine last year. Hence why prices wont drop by a massive amount.
    I bought my phone last year privately for 380 privately brand new. I looked at prices now and its around 350 now. Not much of a drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

No they wont. One phone wont make a difference.

+1

The current top end Android phones won't need to be upgraded until al least a 2ghz phone hits the market and the Nexus S while nice ain't near enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Right now SE just released 2.1 android on this phone although the latest is 2.3. Is it possible to download stock 2.3 and throw it on the phone instead of the SE branded android? This is a major point of confusion with me and android.

No companies will have to tweak version 2.3 for their devices from drivers to their own custom software, you cant just put vanilla Android on the device. You can root the device and there may be a custom 2.3 ROM available in the future that you can put on.
    Seen that but I heard the price will be 600 euro. Around 400 is ok but 600 is the straw that breaks the camels back. If I could find one second hand later on though il look into it.

Google employee's will get one as there xmas bonus so they may be willing to sell at a slightly reduced rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

Just seen that the X10 doesnt currently have pinch to zoom or multitouch support. I know its coming around march 2011 so I think I may hold out till then to see what its like.

Apart from the nexus one does anyone know of other phones coming out that could meet me requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Just seen that the X10 doesnt currently have pinch to zoom or multitouch support. I know its coming around march 2011 so I think I may hold out till then to see what its like.

Apart from the nexus one does anyone know of other phones coming out that could meet me requirements?

No, the X10 hardware is what restricts multi-touch.

Nexus S you mean? It recognise 5 points of touch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

draffodx wrote: »

apparently Sony might not have been truthful in saying that it was a hardware limitation. I have also read that multi touch is suppose to becoming to the X10 even though apparently the hardware never supported it

draffodx wrote: »

Nexus S you mean? It recognise 5 points of touch :D
    It was announced that pinching will be unlocked with the 2.2 release in march. However when you cross the x and y axis it acts strange. I guess il have to see how strange it functions before i make my decision on that one.

currently finding the x10 and desire hd for about 420/450 euro mark on ebay new. I reckon it might go down to about 400 giving it 5 months or so. In the mean time I can be checking out the second hand market too.

Nexus S is looking lovely, but soo expensive!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Sorry for hijacking this thread , looking to get a android phone have a iPhone 3GS now looking for the best one available on meteor billpay

Advertisement