Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No interest in the Desire Z?

Options
  • 21-10-2010 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭

Just wondering why people seem so much more interested in the HD than the Z.

The Desire Z/G2/HTC Vision appeals to me more because:

Brighter, sharper screen
    Deadly keyboard
    Larger battery
    More developer support thanks to the G2
    Cheaper

The HD definitely has some good things going for it, but I'm bemused by the absolute lack of discussion of the Z here...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

The Desire what now? :D Haven't heard much about it since the launch last month...

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tap28

I have ordered the Z on amazon. For me it's a better phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It's a toss up between the HD and the z for me at the moment. Have to feel them in the hand before I'll make a final decision. The only thing that concerns me about the z is the odd reports of dodgy hinges on the g2 and the massive 180grams weight. Battery life and size are my concerns for the HD

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Vid floating around with the handset clocked up to 1.4 ghz.

I'm very interested in the Z and will be getting it as soon as possible. Sure it is 'only' 800Mhz but that is on a newer generation chipset with the adreno 205. The flip-out keyboard is the big selling point for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I looked into getting a z but anytime ive had a phone that splits in 2 or has some sort of pop out keyboard ive ended up breaking it. Plus ive gotten so used to touchscreens now i wouldnt need a keyboard. But still looks like a great phone. PLus htc phone usually pretty solid. So a normal person might not break it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tap28

I'm in 2 minds now.

It seems that some posters got the desire hd today, in Vodafone store, PAYG for €479.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056053783&page=8

Amazon are not shipping the z until 1/11/10.

If Vodafone sold the hd for €479, I wonder what they will/would sell the Z at?

Tap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Unfortunetly, vodafone don't appear to have plans to get the desire z. I asked in the Talk To forum. I could have bought the HD on thurs eve and have it on tues but I will hold out for a desire z instead. Looks to be better for me after weighing up pros and cons of each.
    It looks like I'll have to go to meteor to get one though. Due 1st week nov apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭g0g

I'm also very interested in this phone as a next step from the N97. My only concerns are that firstly I haven't left Nokia for years and it'll take getting used to, and secondly although bigger than Desire HD is the battery not smaller than original Desire? Was hoping Vodafone would be getting it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Personally very excited about the Z, always wanted a qwerty keyboard phone but never found one I really liked or could afford. If its the right price on a billpay option I will switch to Meteor (who I think are getting it) in December/January. Have only been browsing the forum rather than posting about it cause I haven't had a smartphone before and don't know much about them beyond some very basic info so hadn't much to say. But yeah Z looks excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

also thinking about changing from Nokia N900 to the Z, for me having the physical qwerty is essential. but thats probably becasue all the touch screen fones i have had resistive screens.

would like to see some realtime info on battery life though.

might hold out a month or so and see what the reviews are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I am also thinking of the Z but not sure how much of a step up it would be from my current Desire. Looked at (still looking at) the Desire HD but I really don't want something with less battery life than what I am currently on.

The keyboard on the Z is what I am looking for. Always felt I could type a lot better with a physical keyboard plus it frees up a lot of screen real-estate when there is no on-screen keyboard to get in the way.

Like others, I think I will wait for the first reviews (real user reviews) before jumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

*subbing to thread*

interested in the Z too.

elderlemon wrote: »
    I am also thinking of the Z but not sure how much of a step up it would be from my current Desire. Looked at (still looking at) the Desire HD but I really don't want something with less battery life than what I am currently on.

The keyboard on the Z is what I am looking for. Always felt I could type a lot better with a physical keyboard plus it frees up a lot of screen real-estate when there is no on-screen keyboard to get in the way.

Like others, I think I will wait for the first reviews (real user reviews) before jumping.

Speed-wise it might be on a par or slightly better despite the fact that its CPU is clocked at 800MHz. It is a newer generation CPU and has a much faster GPU.

I'm going to be upgrading from a Desire too and the keyboard and newer Sense are the major factors for me. I'm looking forward to being able to use it as a capable Linux terminal and not having the soft keyboard take over half the screen (or all of it in landscape mode).

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

JustinOval wrote: »
    The Desire what now? :D Haven't heard much about it since the launch last month...

Ya the Desire Z has become the Legend:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

baz8080 wrote: »
    Speed-wise it might be on a par or slightly better despite the fact that its CPU is clocked at 800MHz. It is a newer generation CPU and has a much faster GPU.

I'm going to be upgrading from a Desire too and the keyboard and newer Sense are the major factors for me. I'm looking forward to being able to use it as a capable Linux terminal and not having the soft keyboard take over half the screen (or all of it in landscape mode).

The Original Desire is getting the upgraded Sense probably in Dec, as well as access to HTCSense.com, I use Open Desire myself coupled with launcherpro, but when HTC roll out the upgrade I'll have a look. Swypes far better than any hardware keyboard imo, the obvious exception being needing to do non dictionary stuff such as terminal entry etc. so I can see why you'd be keen on the Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Any chance of 3 stocking the Z ?

Advertisement