Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water well/septic tank advise needed

Options
  • 13-11-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

some advise needed
    I have lived in my house 6years and only discovered the other night that there's a septic tank over my ditch in famers field

Late the other night I herd so commotion in the field behind me and when I went to investigate I saw the famer emptying a septic tank about a metre from my boundary, Its must be servicing the 2 houses up from me, My concern is that my water well is about 2 metres from the boundary and the pipe servicing the septic tank must be running very close to the well on the opposite side of the ditch, Should I be concerned?? I have my own septic tank and bio unit on my site and I just thought that it was very strange for the other 2 houses not to have there's on there own site but instead running down close to my boundary in a famers field used to grow barley

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Get a local engineer who does waste treatment assessments to inspect

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaleRider

DUGGER My concern is that my water well is about 2 metres from the boundary and the pipe servicing the septic tank must be running very close to the well on the opposite side of the ditch, Should I be concerned??

Hi,
    you should be very concerned. Find out if percolation pipes are evident. What distance pipes are from your well. Are you using this water to drink?

Get a Site Assessor to look at this. Have you had your well tested recently?

Your well needs to be 15m to 60m away from percolation field. This needs to be acted on - soon.

You have good advice from BryanF

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dugger

Thanks Pale Rider

could you have a look at the site plan and give me your opinion as I do what to be calling out and meeting with people if its above board and maybe people on boards my know the regulations, I have tried to gather info but its all a bit of a grey area, All I know that the night the famer and neighbour went at this the smell was unbearable and was in the house for a day or 2 that to me is not right but I don't want to kick up a fuss unless its warrantedsite plan.JPG

Hi
    I,m unable to read your map. Scale to small. Can you post details of levels on of you and your neighbors site. Tell me how the ground slopes. Give me more details if you can. Find out if tanks in field have percolation pipes. Check if any pipes discharge into surface waters.

Give me more detail. Write on map were things are etc.

I will help you but you will still need some pro on the ground.

Scan in a full a4 layout - the more detail the better.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

dugger wrote: »
    Thanks Pale Rider

could you have a look at the site plan and give me your opinion as I do what to be calling out and meeting with people if its above board and maybe people on boards my know the regulations, I have tried to gather info but its all a bit of a grey area, ]
    there is no grey area, and I don't accept that we should offer an opinion based on the info provided
    As palerider stated you need a professional on site. We should not comment without all the facts- the facts require a site assessment

If the smell was as bad as you say then why are you concerned whether people on boards.ie 'say it's above board' ?

Imo use your own initiative and seek professional advice.

• Advertisement

BryanF is correct. I should not have given the advice.

As professional input required on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭dugger

Guys thanks for your help I hope you can see the site in pdf attached I cant see anything visible in the famers field only the concrete cover for the chamber nothing else should I be able to see anything else, Sorry if I'm going across stupid but I'm new to country living and don't know what to look for and don't what to look stupid by calling someone out
    site map.pdf

Advertisement