Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Haven't had a great week. Been struggling with exams and deadlines and have also moved out of my flat this week because I was at the end of my tether with my housemate. It was like living with Sheldon Cooper except not nearly as amusing, and he just made me very frustrated all the time, having to tip-toe around him, which only increased my stressing and worrying. However, the people I'm living with now seem super laid back and very friendly, they're all bringing me out with them tomorrow night after I do my last exam, so that has lifted my spirits a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Haven't had a great week. Been struggling with exams and deadlines and have also moved out of my flat this week because I was at the end of my tether with my housemate. It was like living with Sheldon Cooper except not nearly as amusing, and he just made me very frustrated all the time, having to tip-toe around him, which only increased my stressing and worrying. However, the people I'm living with now seem super laid back and very friendly, they're all bringing me out with them tomorrow night after I do my last exam, so that has lifted my spirits a bit!
    Were you tied down to a lease with the previous housemate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Were you tied down to a lease with the previous housemate?

I sublet the room, so I got my deposit back, which was the terms of the agreement. Thank God. I needed to get out of there. I think I would have left anyway even if I didn't get the deposit back. He was a bullsh*t housemate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Oh god the panic is so bad tonight. I can't stop my mind racing at all. I need someone to be my person.

Hersheys wrote: »
    Oh god the panic is so bad tonight. I can't stop my mind racing at all. I need someone to be my person.

Anything that you've tried before to calm it down? I find that interacting with computer screens just keeps it racing. Reading helps wind it down.

• Advertisement

Anything that you've tried before to calm it down? I find that interacting with computer screens just keeps it racing. Reading helps wind it down.
    I eventually switched off. But only after I did something stupid :( I hate myself right now & I've to go to the doctor today & convince her I'm ok when I'm the opposite.

I eventually switched off. But only after I did something stupid :( I hate myself right now & I've to go to the doctor today & convince her I'm ok when I'm the opposite.

Please don't pretend you're ok when visiting the doctor Hersheys. Tell her everything that's on your mind and how bad you're feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Hersheys I definitely understand the whole doing something stupid and having to minimise it after the fact but really do try to just be honest. If you knew me you'd realise how possibly contradictory this statement is but honesty and truth will make your life easier.

I tried to be honest. But we ran out of time. So kind of bummed out about that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Too many funerals on top of anniversaries on top of funerals - i'm goin crazy here.. Hospital tomorrow if i can get there. Least it's crappy weather out so no one can convince me to go do anything.. :mad:

• Advertisement

Too many funerals on top of anniversaries on top of funerals - i'm goin crazy here.. Hospital tomorrow if i can get there. Least it's crappy weather out so no one can convince me to go do anything.. :mad:
    Omg I thought I was the only one with funerals up the yazoo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Omg I thought I was the only one with funerals up the yazoo.

No, not at all, in the last six months i've lost six friends. You?

No, not at all, in the last six months i've lost six friends. You?
    There's a lot of death & terminally ill people in my life. I can't escape death & I can't explain my curiosity with it.

There's a lot of death & terminally ill people in my life. I can't escape death & I can't explain my curiosity with it.

It's strange isn't it, friends have been ill or dying the last few years and not it's like death is part of the air i breathe. I've 'broken' the news so many times to people that now i hate calling in case they think it's bad news..

It's strange isn't it, friends have been ill or dying the last few years and not it's like death is part of the air i breathe. I've 'broken' the news so many times to people that now i hate calling in case they think it's bad news..
    Every year for about 10 years someone in my life has killed themselves. The last suicide hit me hard. Other deaths were expected. Doesn't make them easier.

I can't wait for today to be over. Very bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

I give up trying :(

Today is near over, there'll be no poking me nose outside door anyway.. Try keep ok peeps.

Every year for about 10 years someone in my life has killed themselves. The last suicide hit me hard. Other deaths were expected. Doesn't make them easier.

I can't wait for today to be over. Very bad day.

Jesus that is tough. My genuine sympathies are with you for what its worth. I find slowing my body down almost walking in slow motion around the house leading up to bed time and becoming aware of all the tightness in my body (oooh kinky :P) helps me relax before bed and realise that at the very least I will be comfortable physically as I go to bed.

But I also know that I find it very difficult to even bother when I'm in the sort of mood you might be in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Rather odd, as I wasn't really expecting, but been having some trouble lately with this stuff, as I posted a few days ago, but asked a girl I liked out tonight, she said no, didn't see me the same way, and it actually lifted me even though I was rejected.

Might be different if I see her with a bf, cos I'd be wishing I was that guy, but even though I got rejected, as of now, I actually feel better

I think it's probably cos I knew I'd get rejected, and just had to do as a what if, and it wasn't something I regretted in the future

Kinda interested to see if it hits me in a few days or something, and I start thinking about it too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

phi3 wrote: »
    Hi. Welcome. If you have been feeling down for a very long time, it might be best that you talk to your GP. There's no point suffering unnecessarily. Even if it may go away on it's own eventually, you will be miserable while you wait. And it's likely you will need a bit of help to get rid of it. Doctors see it every day

Thanks.

I have been thinking about it, but i don't really see what my GP can do to help me apart from prescribe medication, i don't like the thought of having to take tablets just to function (i really don't mean to come across as being arrogant or better than the situation, sorry if i do as i know medication helps many people).

I am pretty clueless as to what course of action to take, but talking to my GP is a start. Thanks again for your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Thanks.

I have been thinking about it, but i don't really see what my GP can do to help me apart from prescribe medication, i don't like the thought of having to take tablets just to function (i really don't mean to come across as being arrogant or better than the situation, sorry if i do as i know medication helps many people).

I am pretty clueless as to what course of action to take, but talking to my GP is a start. Thanks again for your advice.

I know what you mean about the medication. I'm the same. Maybe you could try one of the books I posted somewhere above? In the UK these books are actually prescribed to people instead of anti-depressants. I am currently reading "Overcoming Social Anxiety". It's quite good. Maybe you could try the "Overcoming Depression" one. I downloaded it on my phone so I can read it away on the bus or wherever so no-one knows I'm reading it.

titan18 wrote: »
    Rather odd, as I wasn't really expecting, but been having some trouble lately with this stuff, as I posted a few days ago, but asked a girl I liked out tonight, she said no, didn't see me the same way, and it actually lifted me even though I was rejected.

Might be different if I see her with a bf, cos I'd be wishing I was that guy, but even though I got rejected, as of now, I actually feel better

I think it's probably cos I knew I'd get rejected, and just had to do as a what if, and it wasn't something I regretted in the future

Kinda interested to see if it hits me in a few days or something, and I start thinking about it too much

Well, that was short term anyway. Not even 12 hours

I feel utterly dejected today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Hi Guys. Need a bit of advice please! I've been texting this guy and have met up with him once. He really likes me (he says) but I can already see my anxiety getting in the way. Should I be up front with him and mention that I do have depression and anxiety? I think he might understand it but I'm not sure it's something I want to tell him so early on. Thanks :)

phi3 wrote: »
    Hi Guys. Need a bit of advice please! I've been texting this guy and have met up with him once. He really likes me (he says) but I can already see my anxiety getting in the way. Should I be up front with him and mention that I do have depression and anxiety? I think he might understand it but I'm not sure it's something I want to tell him so early on. Thanks :)

Imo depends on how severe it would be, I find that even though people don't necessarily judge someone with depression and anxiety it can have a 'boring' effect on early relationships. I mean, it could possibly get too walking on edge shells nicey nicey if ye know what I mean?

Unless you are expecting panic attacks I'd say leave it out for now.

My 0.02 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

For the last few weeks I've been self medicating with all manor of drugs. I'm just now starting to feel the negative effects from it. It's probably too late to stop now but fuck it.

Anyone else been in the position of self-medicating (probably the wrong term) with harder drugs than alcohol?

I'm not condoning this by the way. Don't start, By the time yoou realise it's a bad thing, it's too late to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Crimbouser

I would be kind of cautious about telling someone you didn't completely trust. As much as depression is misunderstood, I think people in general find it much more difficult to understand anxiety e.g. what have you to be worried about and sure, we all get a bit anxious etc.

For the last few weeks I've been self medicating with all manor of drugs. I'm just now starting to feel the negative effects from it. It's probably too late to stop now but fuck it.

Anyone else been in the position of self-medicating (probably the wrong term) with harder drugs than alcohol?

I'm not condoning this by the way. Don't start, By the time yoou realise it's a bad thing, it's too late to stop.

No, never have done. Would never see using recreational drugs as self medicating myself.

Just attempted something horrible, and upset the one person I trusted and felt cared about me :(

This has been the longest and worst week of my life, even worse than when I had it before

• Advertisement

Titan I think it is inevitable that we will hurt the ones close to us, sometimes in a big way but I think it usually brings people closer together in the end after the dust has settled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement