Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

block laying rates in west.

Options
  • 20-11-2014 1:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Just wondering can anyone tell me the going rate in mayo/galway/Sligo for block layers at the moment. Friend of mine got quoted 1 euro a block from 2 blocklaying squads. I'm thinking this is abit steep seeing as it was 1 euro ablock at the height of the boom. I know block layers took abig hit during the recession but didn't think their wages were back up to boom levels already.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

BETWEEN 65 & 75 CENTS IS USUAL RATE NOW

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

mossy50 wrote: »
    BETWEEN 65 & 75 CENTS IS USUAL RATE NOW

I was expecting 80c but 1 euro seems robbery now. Many blocks a day a man need to lay to earn a wage. What would they be taking home,350/400/450 etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

80cent and 300 blocks a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Who in their right mind is still pricing block layers by the block.

Get a price for the whole job which will include equipment, labour, scaffolding, fitting of RSJ's, lintels and cills, soap bars, DPC, props the list goes on......

Then if you still hell bent on knowing a price per block, work out how many blocks (and you won't get this accurate to the block) you need and divide it into the quote

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

hexosan wrote: »
    Who in their right mind is still pricing block layers by the block.

Get a price for the whole job which will include equipment, labour, scaffolding, fitting of RSJ's, lintels and cills, soap bars, DPC, props the list goes on......

Then if you still hell bent on knowing a price per block, work out how many blocks (and you won't get this accurate to the block) you need and divide it into the quote

I couldn't agree more with your post but the bold section why so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

have said it a few times before on boards. Price the job as one. I havent heard anyone pricing per block in some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭no1murray

Agree with the lads above. You get the job priced. No one prices per block its not accurate. Maybe some jobs will work out at nearly 2 euro per block while another will be 70 cent. The cheapest price isnt always the best or include the same works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

no1murray wrote: »
    Agree with the lads above. You get the job priced. No one prices per block its not accurate. Maybe some jobs will work out at nearly 2 euro per block while another will be 70 cent. The cheapest price isnt always the best or include the same works.

If its a basic bungalow it can be priced per block. You measure up how many blocks there is the multiple by 80c and that'll give you a price and time frame to do it because it usually works out at the amount of days it took you anyway.

Any lintels,rsjs or filling chimneys can be thrown into the time you gain on the windows doors gables. Now, I know it takes time around windows/doors etc... But you usually gain some time if it was block one was laying in place of windows et ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

duckcfc wrote: »
    If its a basic bungalow it can be priced per block. You measure up how many blocks there is the multiple by 80c and that'll give you a price and time frame to do it because it usually works out at the amount of days it took you anyway.

Any lintels,rsjs or filling chimneys can be thrown into the time you gain on the windows doors gables. Now, I know it takes time around windows/doors etc... But you usually gain some time if it was block one was laying in place of windows et ..
    Thats fine but the day of the simple bungalow is over really . There is alot of different detail being included now , a price per block is grand so long as all the prices include the same jobs .
    I saw a house a few years ago with no cills or chimneys filled or capped . The owner didn't even know these were the blocklayers jobs until he was paid and gone and someone pointed this out to him .
    By the time he had give the blocklayers day rate to do the few "extras " it wasn't worth his while going with the cheaper price in the beginning

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

Bullocks wrote: »
    Thats fine but the day of the simple bungalow is over really . There is alot of different detail being included now , a price per block is grand so long as all the prices include the same jobs .
    I saw a house a few years ago with no cills or chimneys filled or capped . The owner didn't even know these were the blocklayers jobs until he was paid and gone and someone pointed this out to him .
    By the time he had give the blocklayers day rate to do the few "extras " it wasn't worth his while going with the cheaper price in the beginning

Because someone does not understand the process (which is always a worry) does not mean the industry has changed, become more difficult or become more complex. A Price per block is generally how blocklayers price their work but as stated above its always best to try and just get a lump sum value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Houses all shapes and sizes being priced at the moment seem to be coming in at €1.15 - €1.20 a block. This includes for important things like Vat, correct fitting of insulation, correct methods of construction. If a block layer was 20.c cheaper a block on a house of 6500 blocks that's only €1300. Let me tell u €1300 is not a lot of money to fix some ones else mistakes for cutting corners. With all the changes to construction methods a good block layer will find it hard to earn 150 a day every.

Advertisement