Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Jobs

Options
  • 05-07-2014 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I'm in final year of a degree in English and Maths in UCC. I think I am only going to get a 2.2. I've been accepted for the PME in UCC as well.

I've heard different things about how valued degrees are to principals. One principal said that to be have just gotten a degree in a subject area tells him that you are strong enough to teach it. A friend who's Dad is a principal said that he disregards any CVs with qualifications without a 2.1 or higher in their degree.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

depends on the subject and how many cvs you get to be honest. I wouldn't discount someone straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

A guy who came to teach in our school less than 20 years ago had 2 masters and a PhD, (now I'm not discounting anyone who has undertaken further study, but the I think the School had their hopes solely pinned on his brilliant academic record... ) Needless to say it went down like a lead balloon as he just couldn;t relate to people, but they still talk of him with the implication that it isn't all about the "looking in" to the subject and more about the "giving out" of the subject to the students.

Perhaps have a look at your self in general, could you stand in front of a group of kids and impart some knowledge. I think that principals (should!) look at a person in terms of a 'fit' within the staffroom or dealing with parents too, so if you relate well to other people then it's a good start.

You would have 2 core subjects there too which can only be a good thing. Also the general feeling (on this forum anyhow) is that you would have to be prepared for a lot subbing work before picking up a permanent contract (unless you fall on your feet! or know someone like a dad of a friend or something:pac:).

Maybe consider the possibility of emigrating to UK to get full hours which I think would be a massive boost towards getting more experience in a high pressured environment. I think they recognise your service abroad in the UK now in terms of coming back onto an Irish increment scale.

Have a look at educationposts.ie and see if theres any english/maths combinations in demand... Although it seems fairly unusual. Usually the Maths folk are either business or science too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

IMO, experience is what sorts them out.

2.2 and five years subbing for a career break will get it ahead of a Ph.D. with no experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RoySheehan

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm feeling pretty happy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

spurious wrote: »
    IMO, experience is what sorts them out.

2.2 and five years subbing for a career break will get it ahead of a Ph.D. with no experience.

I agree with this but in the OP's case - will he find it hard getting that initial experience with only a 2.2?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

sitstill wrote: »
    I agree with this but in the OP's case - will he find it hard getting that initial experience with only a 2.2?

There's quite an amount of good luck and right place at right time involved today.
    If jobs don't work out, find voluntary tutoring schemes, clubs, VdeP organised schemes, anything to get experience of working with groups.

It amuses me that today anyone with a 2.2 is in some way looked down on. The vast majority of my class in the 80s left with what was called a Pass degree.

Do they not exist nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Pass degrees exist and so do 3rd class honours !

There's quite an amount of good luck and right place at right time involved today.
    If jobs don't work out, find voluntary tutoring schemes, clubs, VdeP organised schemes, anything to get experience of working with groups.

It amuses me that today anyone with a 2.2 is in some way looked down on. The vast majority of my class in the 80s left with what was called a Pass degree.

Do they not exist nowadays?

Pass degrees exist as do third class honours -- but there is a feeling out that that you need a first or a 2.1 to really get anywhere.

Pass degrees exist as do third class honours -- but there is a feeling out that that you need a first or a 2.1 to really get anywhere.

What if you got a pass degree and a 1st in your Hdip?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I had friends who sailed into the HDip in the 90's with just 40% Pass on a Pass or General Degree. If you had any kind of Hons degree or even a BA Special (used to do those in NUI- one subject at Hons and one subject at Pass) you were considered a cut above the rest. It was only when places on the HDip started to be more in demand that the Honours degree became the basic requirement and then they raised the bar higher with 2:1 and Firsts.

Were all the teachers with Pass degrees not able to teach ? I doubt it.....your degree got you a foot in the door and then you learnt by experience. So if you can get subbing experience then you'll be attractive to any Principal- a qualified Maths teacher with an Honours degree. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Armelodie wrote: »
    What if you got a pass degree and a 1st in your Hdip?

You almost certainly wouldn't get into the Dip with just a pass degree.

welllll you did use the word 'almost'!!!

Ok taking that as a non entry, then, what if you got the Degree 2.2 and then the Hdip as a 1st ? Would the CV go into the bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

Armelodie wrote: »
    welllll you did use the word 'almost'!!!

Ok taking that as a non entry, then, what if you got the Degree 2.2 and then the Hdip as a 1st ? Would the CV go into the bin?

I got a 2.2 in my degree and a 1st class honours in my hdip. I haven't been out of work since completing my hdip 3 years ago. Principals generally comment on my result of my hdip and ask what was my secret so I'm sure most principals won't disregard cvs solely down to results

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

My neighbour got into primary teaching last year on a pass degree, hibernia took her.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I came out of college with a 2.2 in 2001 and was offered a permanent job, the one I'm still in. It's never held me back in being offered education related work.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

I have a pass degree, yes a PASS degree!
    The horror of it.
    I was out sick a lot of my final year and didn't want to repeat.
    I got into the HDip and got a first in it.

My pass degree has never held me back in any way with jobs, the SEC and shock horror, I've been known to facilitate the odd inservice!

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    I have a pass degree, yes a PASS degree!
    The horror of it.
    I was out sick a lot of my final year and didn't want to repeat.
    I got into the HDip and got a first in it.

My pass degree has never held me back in any way with jobs, the SEC and shock horror, I've been known to facilitate the odd inservice!

Are you a man, who plays GAA, is in a political party, a friend of a politician and is or is not a local?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Are you a man, who plays GAA, is in a political party, a friend of a politician and is or is not a local?:)

None of the above I'm afraid. :D

Advertisement