Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radiator issue

• 28-01-2014 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm working off a range that should be able to heat all the radiators I have. The problem is that a couple of radiators will get warm and then get cool again even though the fire is at the same level, whilst the other radiators wont heat up at all. I have bled them but that didn't change anything. I also use oil and the radiators get hot in no time. Could anyone suggest a reason for this?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bob..loblaw

Nobody has any ideas? Do you need more info on the problem? Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 steve215

Is there a pump that only kicks in when you switch to oil?

Separate pumps. I can hear the one in the kitchen every now and again but shouldn't the water get hot and constantly circulate instead of this warm for 30 seconds then cold for a long time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Ranges are notoriously inefficient, but it would depend on the make/model, age, system parameters/pipework, etc.

Do you get much hot water from the solid fuel side or limited?

Loads of hot water, it's a stanley range about 5 years old.

• Advertisement

What temperature is the pipe stat set to & what location is at & is it on the flow or return pipe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

can you bleed the radiators

can you bleed the radiators

If they are heating with the oil side, it's not air.
    Sounds like a poor location of the pipe stat to me, probably located on the return.

It's always set at between 60 and 70 degrees. Is there any trick to knowing if it's a flow or return pipe? I also just saw a myson control fixed to a different pipe than the pump. It is set to automatic, should I set it to manual? Is this what controls the circulation of the water?

That's a motorised valve & will be for the oil side.
    Can you post a pic of the stat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭TTTT

You need to balance the radiators for the range cooker and change to pipe stat to 40-50c (if stat is on the common return). The return should be the cooler pipe.

Here's the pic. Everytime I mess around with the stat I can hear the pump come on. I did this for a few minutes straight and the radiators seemed to stay on.

rzz7.jpg

Ok. It's on the flow which is good. Set to 50-55C. Any lower will lower the hot water cylinder temperature to the set point when the fire dies down & it will use the cylinder as the boiler.

Ok I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the input.

Advertisement