Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heath Ledger is dead

• 22-01-2008 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

Heath Ledger was found dead a couple of hours ago. Not much info but looks like a drug overdose. Jaysus.

Story from TMZ and Perez.

Um this may be a tad soon but had he finished shooting The Dark Knight?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Dark Knight promo...?

EDIT: Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Stargal wrote: »

Ye that's what I want to know? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

IMDB says it's in post-production. Means that it's mostly done but can't really be overly revised now.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Dear god. Provided this is true, this is awful, awful news.

Rest in peace, a talented man truly just coming into his prime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

His poor family, his child was only very young. Even if it was drug related as is already being speculated it's such a waste.

Was wondering about the Dark Knight myself, according to Sky News it was in Post Production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well considering what happened to brandon lee in the crow i reckon the dark knight is ok. as menitoned its practically finished. heres hoping they dedicate it to him. what ive seen of him so far as the joker is amazing.

i was shocked at this. fine fine actor who promised so much to come. a great loss for his family and the industry both.

i personally dont think its drugs, i reckon its probably S.A.D. they guys not exactly pete doherty is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Perez Hilton seems to be suffering the "slashdot effect" at the moment. The news still hasn't sunk in for me. Felt for sure it would be someone posting a windup when I saw the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

'tis on RTE too

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0122/ledgerh.html

Sad, although it'll probably make his performance in the Dark Night more poignant and creepy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Its getting blanket coverage on Sky News at the moment. Poor guy's family and his daughter :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yeah, bearly 3. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

It's terribly sad,especially as he has a baby daughter left behind.

It appears to have been a drugs overdose,sleeping pills are being bandied around as the culprit.

So sad, will always remember him as Patrick Verona in 10 things i hate about you:(

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Its so sad :( He's one of those actors who you couldnt really say anything bad about.

I hear that it was mary kate olsens apartment he died in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

he put the pills in his own ned kelly. no sympathy for overdosers or suicide victims with his lifestyle

Jonesy3110 wrote: »
    I hear that it was mary kate olsens apartment he died in?

Seems that was an error on the part of the police commissioner.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/22/actor-heath-ledger-is-found-dead/index.html?hp

he put the pills in his own ned kelly. no sympathy for overdosers or suicide victims with his lifestyle

Like the ned kelly reference!

It may have been a total accident-after all it appears it was sleeping pills found with him and not heroin/cocaine.

no sympathy for overdosers or suicide victims with his lifestyle

Cos im sure you are living the same lifestyle as him and know for a fact that its all roses.
    Famous people probably have it a lot harder than you think, why else would there be so many cases like this? His marriage ended recently too, thats gotta be hard on anyone.

Suicide/overdose whatever.. this is still really sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

I saw a clip of him in The Dark Knight only a few days ago and it looked really good...it's so sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

Stargal wrote: »

It was in post-production so it is being edited and the soundtrack is being added...

Although on imdb it says he was filming The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 peggysue

am so sorry to hear of heath ledgers death, only 28 years old, feel sorry for his daughter and family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

Gobsmacked, did not expect this at all

Gobsmacked, did not expect this at all

I know,somehow if it had been someone like Amy Winehouse or poor Britney it would have been much less of a shock. He never came across as having a drug problem in any interviews i ever saw, just as a quiet kinda shy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 peggysue

I know,somehow if it had been someone like Amy Winehouse or poor Britney it would have been much less of a shock. He never came across as having a drug problem in any interviews i ever saw, just as a quiet kinda shy man.
    they are saying on the news he didn't like the publicity that fame brought with it and that he liked privacy. he always appeared shy to me when he was being interviewed I just think it is tragic and i hope the press respects his family at this sad time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he said himself that he used sleeping pills to get to sleep after hard days acting, sounds like he might had developed a habit and used them today...

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

im really sad about this! have really liked him since i was younger..he was so young.

sleeping pills are hard to OD on..from what ive read, seems like he was affected by his role as 'the joker' and was having trouble sleeping in general. he had been taking the pills then still not sleeping or waking up not long after taking them.he may have taken a dose, then not been able to sleep so taken more and more..
    whatever happened, its still sad for his family, friends, and those he worked with. i really think he was only just coming into his own as an actor and had a lot more to give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

RIP

Why couldn't it have been Britney instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

togster wrote: »
    Why couldn't it have been Britney instead.

Give it up clown boy:rolleyes:

A great actor coming into his time in the spotlight with The Dark Knight, RIP was shocked to hear this news when i drove in. Sleeping pills and accidental overdose on the news at the mo.

Still I would not give up my life and exchange it for celebrity even for the millions they earn.
    The bloke was not even cold and its splashed all over the news for all friends and family to see before they were told officialy. Thats no way to find out this type of news!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Sad news to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

Very sad and shocking to hear of the death of Heath Ledger, such a talented actor. RIP.

Word is he had pneumonia and was struggling to sleep while filming the Batman movie as he was so affected by his role as the Joker. Hopefully all the conspiracy theorys and wild reports on the gossip sites will end after the autopsy later today.

Tragic way for the family to find out the news and as far as they are concerned his death was an accident.

My heart goes out to his young daughter, family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 QesQnr

There's some sick, sick people in this world. I don't think that anyone could argue against that massacreing these sort of people would be a good thing.
    http://www.godhatesfags.com/written/fliers/20080122_heath-ledger-brokeback-mountain.pdf

edit: you'll have to copy and paste the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Mrs Roy Keane

RIP Heath Ledger

He was a great actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

That is a big shock. I always felt him differnet to the usual holywood glitterai,In the fact that he could act and seemed like a decent guy.
    v.sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Eire 4Ever

RIP Heath Ledger and Brad Renfro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

I still can't believe it..... R.I.P Heath xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

panda100 wrote: »
    That is a big shock. I always felt him differnet to the usual holywood glitterai,In the fact that he could act and seemed like a decent guy.
    v.sad

Yeah, that's what I thought.

So sad :( The best was yet to come Heath. RIP x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

RIP Heath

May he go down as a cult legend with the next Batman movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I still cannot believe this :(
    He was so talented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crunch_n_munch

It's so tragic. I just couldn't believe it when I found out. He seemed like such a genuine young man..so talented..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

Eire 4Ever wrote: »
    RIP Heath Ledger and Brad Renfro

:eek: what happened Brad Renfro???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Cazlou wrote: »
    :eek: what happened Brad Renfro???

He died last week too...

http://www.eonline.com/celebrities/profile/index.jsp?uuid=222886d4-ab3a-470d-92e7-8f1b936af84d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

misslt wrote: »

Thanks for that!

:( Sleepers is one of my fave films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Mrs Roy Keane

Stars Fight To Keep Ledger Drug Video Off TV

Sarah Jessica Parker, Josh Brolin and Natalie Portman were among the stars who bombarded the producers of news show Entertainment Tonight and urged them to drop a damning Heath Ledger video. The footage, taken at a Hollywood party in 2006, reportedly features the late actor drinking and taking drugs. The news show aired teaser footage during its Wednesday night broadcast and producers planned to show the full tape on Thursday. But angry phone calls from the stars and harsh criticism from Ledger's publicists made them think again - and eventually axe the news item. In one angry open letter, Ledger's representative Mara Buxbaum wrote, "This is not journalism, it is sensationalism. It is a shameful exploitation of the lowest kind."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Can you add links when you're posting articles like this? And wrap them in quote tags place - it just makes it clearer to the reader that it's coming from another source. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Twinkers

Apparently the clip didn't show him taking any drugs, just drinking a beer. There is evidence of someone else on tape snorting coke but he is not seen partaking in anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭sam69

Sometimes we find ourselves lost for words & it's hard to express exactly what we feel,
    I felt like this when I heard the tragic news of the late Heath Ledger. I was thinking about his all too short but brilliant life, his family and loved ones... and then this sort of happened in my little bedroom studio.
    It features Gustavo Santaolalla's 'The Wings' vs Charlene's 'I've Never Been To Me'.
    I hope he would like it.

God Bless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWVMDi3nKA8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭lizann

http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2008-02-04/

Stars Turn Out for Ledger Memorial

10s.jpg Hollywood stars Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes, Sienna Miller, Ellen DeGeneres and director Todd Haynes were among attendees at a memorial service in Los Angeles for late actor Heath Ledger. The private service to pay tribute to the 28-year-old, who was found dead in New York last month, took place at the Sony lot in L.A. on Saturday and also included a variety of figures from the movie industry and Ledger's agency CAA. Attendees included Cruise and Holmes, who co-starred with Ledger's former fiancee Michelle Williams in TV show Dawson's Creek, and British actress Sienna Miller, who worked with Ledger on 2005 film Casanova, according to People.com. The memorial comes a week after relatives and close friends of the tragic star gathered at a smaller service at the Westwood Village Memorial Park cemetery in the city. A service also took place in New York which attracted close to 1,000 mourners. Ledger was found dead in his New York apartment on January 22. An autopsy failed to reveal the cause of death, and police are still awaiting the results of a toxicology test to asses if drugs found in his apartment played a part in his demise. His body has been flown to his native Australia, where a private funeral is expected to take place in his hometown of Perth.

Nicholson Misquoted on Ledger Warning

Hollywood veteran Jack Nicholson insists stories claiming he warned Heath Ledger about the dangers of sleeping pills are not true - stating he never even met the tragic star. The Departed legend was asked how he felt about the Brokeback Mountain actor's death last month by photographers in London and he was quoted as saying, "I told him so." However, the 70-year-old star, whose role as the Joker in Batman was reprised by Ledger in The Dark Knight just before his death, states he was misquoted and was simply warning everyone against using that brand of pills. He says, "What I actually said was, 'I warned them.' I had a bad experience with those sleeping pills (that Ledger apparently took). I took one of these pills and had just gone to sleep when I had a phone call to go to an emergency at a friend's house. I jumped up, went outside and some time later woke up on the driveway. It sounds amusing but I live in the mountains and it could of been worse. I didn't know Heath Ledger, but I know those pills." Ledger was found dead in his New York apartment last month at the age of 28. An autopsy failed to reveal the cause of death, and police are still awaiting the results of a toxicology test to asses if sleeping pills found in his apartment played a part in his death.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7231084.stm

Ledger took lethal mix of drugs

Hollywood actor Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of six different types of prescription drugs, New York authorities have revealed.
    The Brokeback Mountain actor, 28, was found dead in January in an apartment he had been renting in Manhattan.
    The city medical examiner's spokeswoman said Ledger died "as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects" of the different drugs.
    They include painkiller Oxycontin and anti-anxiety drugs Valium and Xanax.
    Some of the prescription drugs were found near his body when it was discovered by his housekeeper.
    Ledger's body has been flown home to Australia for a private burial, while a public memorial service is planned in Los Angeles.
    Film suspended
    Last week, his former partner Michelle Williams spoke publicly for the first time since the star's death, saying: "My heart is broken."
    The pair met on the set of their Brokeback Mountain, in which Williams played Ledger's wife.
    The couple, who had a daughter Matilda, now two, split up last September.
    The makers of Ledger's most recent film, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - directed by Terry Gilliam - have suspended production.
    Ledger had completed filming in London just before his death.
    The star also plays The Joker in yet-to-be-released Batman film The Dark Knight.
    Also last week, US TV shows Entertainment Tonight and The Insider pulled a video they had planned to show of Ledger at a Hollywood party saying he used to smoke cannabis. The star is apparently heard saying he "used to smoke five joints a day for 20 years". The shows released a statement saying the footage, believed to be have been recorded in January 2006, would not be shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so the coroner said it was an accidental overdose, ie they were legally prescribed and he didn't take 20 at a go but a few that he reacted badly to.

but you can abuse and misuse pills without taking a bottle full

• Advertisement
Advertisement