Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching council garda vetting form

• 03-07-2014 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Anyone here that has got back a garda vetting RESULTS letter from the teaching counicil can u tell me in PM or here what exactly it says on the letter? The only part im interested in is the exact wording in the middle part of the letter where they talk about what the GCVU said.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Off the top of my head it usually says something very bland. They never commit themselves to anything major.

I got one back recently from sports organisation it was a big long letter saying nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

All it says are there are currently no prosecutions or recorded convictions for .......at this time

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭neutralvu

I would be more interested in someone who has got one back this month or last. As the vetting process has changed. I enquire because mine came back different to my friends but my friends is from last year. His said the same as what you are saying pataman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

How has the process changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

There's a new declaration to sign on it, that's all. It's on the teaching council website.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just as an aside to this...since my 'cost neutral' pension is so small, I'm keeping up the TC registration to be able to do contract work for the SEC.

I am interested in some once-off visits to schools as part of a possible source of income and since I was never Garda vetted while teaching, I wanted to get it done now, so that everything was sorted. I asked them about it and apparently once I am registered I am considered Garda vetted too? How odd.

correct theres a new declaration to sign but that "is not all" why was this declaration changed? Because the way it was it was affecting so many people that had minor discrepancies in court and under the European constitution for human rights these minor prosecutions are not allowed to show up in vetting.

I think that if you were to change school as a teacher then you will need to get it done but i would have said you would need to get it done anyway. Imagine being asked by a parent or principal while in the school have you been vetted and you say no... I dont think it would be a welcome you would get.

Just to re focus the thread anyone who has received back their vetting form lately please inform me via Private message or here what it says under what the GCVU have disclosed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

spurious wrote: »
    Just as an aside to this...since my 'cost neutral' pension is so small, I'm keeping up the TC registration to be able to do contract work for the SEC.

I am interested in some once-off visits to schools as part of a possible source of income and since I was never Garda vetted while teaching, I wanted to get it done now, so that everything was sorted. I asked them about it and apparently once I am registered I am considered Garda vetted too? How odd.
    That is very odd. Is it a recent change? Seems very suspect, as in it seems to subvert the intention of the regulation.

You weren't vetted when you started teaching? I got vetted three years ago through the teaching council, voluntarily.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Pwpane wrote: »
    That is very odd. Is it a recent change? Seems very suspect, as in it seems to subvert the intention of the regulation.

You weren't vetted when you started teaching? I got vetted three years ago through the teaching council, voluntarily.

No. I started teaching in 1984. They said they would deal with the backlog when it came in, but from what I could see none of the 'oldies' were vetted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Pwpane wrote: »

Ahh I suspect Spurious started a 'wee bit' before the teaching council was ever thought of!:pac::pac::pac:

Anyhow I think there was a derogation for such teachers, although the vetting doesn;t seem to take account of Lazaruses such as Spurious who is neither NQT nor currently in service...

Who must be Garda vetted?

Newly Qualified Teachers
    *for admission to the Register of Teachers
    *for securing employment as a teacher

Teachers currently in service
    *Garda vetting is a requirement of the Department of Education and Skills if you are a teacher who is changing school or returning from a career break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

spurious wrote: »
    No. I started teaching in 1984. They said they would deal with the backlog when it came in, but from what I could see none of the 'oldies' were vetted.

I wasn't vetted either (started teaching in 2001). I think anyone that was teaching when the TC was established was automatically registered as a teacher and considered cleared in terms of Garda vetting.

Advertisement