Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correct regulator for propane cylinder?

Options
  • 30-01-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

I've been having issues with weak gas supply in my (rented) house lately and I was thinking a faulty regulator might be the problem - this is fitted to a tall (47kg?) cylinder which supplies a 5-burner hob on my dual-fuel cooker.

In looking at the system outside the house, it seems that a Clesse changeover system (automatic or manual - not sure which) was replaced (left fixed to the wall, but disconnected) by a simple regulator that looks like this:

ha9662.jpg

I was thinking of getting this regulator replaced to see if a new one would solve the occasional weak-supply issues, but the Hamilton Gas Products website does not say this is suitable for cookers - it seems to be 'Ideal for smaller BBQs, Boiling Rings and Patio Heaters with up to a 9kw input rating' which suggests to me it may be inadequate for our cooker.Am I correct? I don't want to replace to wrong regulator with another wrong regulator!! Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I've been having issues with weak gas supply in my (rented) house lately and I was thinking a faulty regulator might be the problem - this is fitted to a tall (47kg?) cylinder which supplies a 5-burner hob on my dual-fuel cooker.

In looking at the system outside the house, it seems that a Clesse changeover system (automatic or manual - not sure which) was replaced (left fixed to the wall, but disconnected) by a simple regulator that looks like this:

ha9662.jpg

I was thinking of getting this regulator replaced to see if a new one would solve the occasional weak-supply issues, but the Hamilton Gas Products website does not say this is suitable for cookers - it seems to be 'Ideal for smaller BBQs, Boiling Rings and Patio Heaters with up to a 9kw input rating' which suggests to me it may be inadequate for our cooker.Am I correct? I don't want to replace to wrong regulator with another wrong regulator!! Any help would be appreciated!

Are you RGI?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Are you RGI?

No - How many RGIs have to post simple questions about the gas regulators on their own homes?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

No :rolleyes:

Then that's for us to know and you to find out. - by the use of a RGI, who's job it is to know and fit such equipment.

Then that's for us to know and you to find out.

Nice :rolleyes:

Nice :rolleyes:

For your own sake get an Rgi in to do it.

• Advertisement

For your own sake get an Rgi in to do it.

In my original post I said "I was thinking of getting this regulator replaced ..." - I never said I would me undertaking this myself.

My question was not about skills or training required, it was not asking for advice on how to do it - it just wanted to know if a like-for-like replacement is required or if a significant upgrade is required, as this would clearly have an impact on the cost. I'd like to be able to estimate the parts cost involved here before going any further.

In my original post I said "I was thinking of getting this regulator replaced ..." - I never said I would me undertaking this myself.

And in your second post you had attitude. :rolleyes:

And third

The second post was a reply to the question 'Are you RGI?'

How could anyone think I was a Registered Gas Installer on the basis of the information presented in the first post?

The second post was a reply to the question 'Are you RGI?'

How could anyone think I was a Registered Gas Installer on the basis of the information presented in the first post?
    I meant by "are you Rgi" as in stay away from the job. Get an Rgi to price it for you and they will tell you if it is appropriate. How am I to know that you won't order it yourself and have a go at it yourself??

• Advertisement

And third

Right lads - I give up! I have tried over the years to give helpful advice to many posters on Boards.ie when they asked simple questions about matters I work with on a daily basis - Yesterday I asked a simple question in the hope of getting a little advice on something I know little about.

I have never treated a poster with a simple, honest question in the way you have treated me, so I'm out of here.

Right lads - I give up! I have tried over the years to give helpful advice to many posters on Boards.ie when they asked simple questions about matters I work with on a daily basis - Yesterday I asked a simple question in the hope of getting a little advice on something I know little about.

I have never treated a poster with a simple, honest question in the way you have treated me, so I'm out of here.

If you understood the potential risks involved you'd understand

Your simple question was followed up by attitude to the initial response, attitude you seem to be blind to.
    I suggest you address this before your next request for help from Boards members, who are here to help after all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Not sure what part of the country you are but barrets of maynooth usually have those regulators in stock, and they'll advise which one suits you best

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BrenCooney

Have used RGI installers that didn't know either, in a laboratory setting. Nearly blew the place up with a few tens of people in the building the next morning. So don't say RGI will ensure a good job. A bit less of the arrogance wouldn't go astray gents!!!

BrenCooney wrote: »
    Have used RGI installers that didn't know either, in a laboratory setting. Nearly blew the place up with a few tens of people in the building the next morning. So don't say RGI will ensure a good job. A bit less of the arrogance wouldn't go astray gents!!!

Yes but an Rgi is the only one who can legally do it, not some DIY idiot

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

The posters here are correct in not giving out advise of this nature, in the spirit of safety.

In fairness your original post would have been seen as a DIY question the way it was posed.

Under an RGIs duty of care they would be required to point out to you illegal works etc. that could be undertaken and the pitfalls etc.

So in good faith, all that can be suggested here is allow an RGI to come inspect and give guidance on site.

DPT watch the insults, next time it will result in an infraction

Best Regards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement