Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to deal with Stress/Panicing over nothing.

• 21-01-2008 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Here's the deal.

For the last month or so i've been getting stressed over absolutely nothing. Little things are really getting to me and i'm worrying so much that i end up giving myself headaches.

For example. This morning my boyfriend didn't text me back. I've fully convinced myself that he's either cheating on me or he's been in an accident. I don't want to ring him because I don't want him to think I'm a freak. I don't want anyone knowing that im paranoid about everything but it's starting to effect my health as I can't sleep at night and am very run down.

Can anyone offer any advice or know what could be wrong with me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

There's probably something else in your life that might be causing you to freak out over the little things. Has there been any recent changes?

With regard to the panicking. Just stretch everything you're worrying about out to the worst case scenario. Often the worst thing that can happen is not as bad as the stress you put yourself in by worrying if it will happen. (If that makes sense).

Also you can spend all day and night going over in your mind about what will happen but things never turn out the way you think they might. Sometimes they turn out worse but more often things will be fine. But you can be guaranteed that it will not turn out the way you thought it would so thinking and worrying about them is pretty pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

hi OP,

i know how u feel, i used to be exactly like that (well i still am sometimes!).
    i used to come up with all stories in my head when my bf didnt call when he said he would or didnt answer his phone. the main thing you have to remember is that this is just you being paranoid and that you imagination is running away with itself. the next time you feel paranoid distract yourself, go for a walk and leave your phone at home, just think logically about things. for example he didnt text you back, he more than likely has no credit, forgot his phone, or busy doing something else and hasnt time to text you but he will when hes ready.

try and drink some green tea when you feeling anxious. its best thing to calm you down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

The only thing you can change is your behaviour, dont focus on trying to change your thoughts, do something different as was just said. Walking fast someplace, clean your room, put on some loud music.... If you can focus on this, your thinking will take care of itself in time.

Do you feel its an actual panic attack? (5 minute + episode of panic, short of breath, rapid heart beat)

Or is it just that you constantly have these thoughts? Either way, they may both be overcome. Can you tell us more about it, do you feel good in the mornings, is it constant of only at times? Do you feel worse in the evening/before sleep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

efla wrote: »
    The only thing you can change is your behaviour, dont focus on trying to change your thoughts, do something different as was just said. Walking fast someplace, clean your room, put on some loud music.... If you can focus on this, your thinking will take care of itself in time.

Do you feel its an actual panic attack? (5 minute + episode of panic, short of breath, rapid heart beat)

Or is it just that you constantly have these thoughts? Either way, they may both be overcome. Can you tell us more about it, do you feel good in the mornings, is it constant of only at times? Do you feel worse in the evening/before sleep?

It's more of a constant feeling. Like I wake up in the mornings and the first thing I think to myself is "what do i have to worry about today". I feel worse before going to bed. I haven't been able to sleep without the use of sleeping tablets lately (they aren't high dosage, bought in America over the counter)

Apart of me wants to just break up with my boyfriend because I don't want him thinking i'm some sort of freak because of my paranoia. I really like him but I think i should just end it to cut some stress out of my life but at the same time he hasn't actually ever done anything wrong. I know he'll more than likely text me later saying he had no credit or that he left his phone at home but i just can't stop worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

A good cup of tea does help. I can identify with a lot of what people go through when they feel anxious. It's only started to affect me in the last few months and most of the time it's been stupid things. Don't be afraid to go see a councillor if needs be and cut down on the alcohol. Finally, just look after yourself and try and get good sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Try and do something which will distract you. Read a book. Go to the Gym or go swimming, or shopping, or to the cinema. Anything which will take your mind off the stupid little paranoid insecurities which get in there and start annoying you.

Easy to say, harder to do. You'll probably need to find out what best works for you to take your mind off things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

There's probably something else in your life that might be causing you to freak out over the little things. Has there been any recent changes?.

+1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One trick and I don't know how useful it may be to you but... Make a list of the things that worry you. Look at the list and prioritise the most important ones and try and tick them off. Most of the time if I'm stressed it's due to the overload and taking things one by one helps. A lot.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭estar

i used to do this. a number of things all on top of each other stressed me out and then i was left with very little nervous system robustness for a while, when things that wouldnt normally have bothered me, were suddenly so important and threatening

this worked for me

writing down what was worrying me - making lists around things that had to be done
    cutting out some unnecessary stressors while dealing with the primary ones
    - eg. i stopped doing one night course as just needed more relaxation time
    leaving work at a defined time every day
    going to a few exercise classes a week, preferably slightly strenuous - they are a great stress buster
    not acting on the stress, distracting myself by phoning a friend and listening to their stuff, or my family etc
    cutting down on caffeine, refined sugar, and getting 7-8 hours sleep
    strenous yoga. that was one of the best solutions.
    getting into work 30 mins early to plan the day.

if you have a number of stressy things going on at once - even if they dont appear stressful to others they might be affecting you - then find ways to cut down on exposure to some of them.

hope this helps.

and also

a gym with a jacuzzi and steam room. very relaxing.

• Advertisement

stress wrote: »
    It's more of a constant feeling. Like I wake up in the mornings and the first thing I think to myself is "what do i have to worry about today". I feel worse before going to bed. I haven't been able to sleep without the use of sleeping tablets lately (they aren't high dosage, bought in America over the counter)

Apart of me wants to just break up with my boyfriend because I don't want him thinking i'm some sort of freak because of my paranoia. I really like him but I think i should just end it to cut some stress out of my life but at the same time he hasn't actually ever done anything wrong. I know he'll more than likely text me later saying he had no credit or that he left his phone at home but i just can't stop worrying.

dont use over the counter sleeping tablets unless they are herbal

and try to start reducing them. they can be very addictive.

start adding a few of the suggestions people have made today
    and cut down on the sleeping tablets until you have eliminated them.

if you are suffering from insomnia then a bedtime routine really helps.

such as

after gym - watch tv til ten, then have small bath, sleep in a tidy airy room
    read book until 11pm then try and sleep. if you keep this routine up
    and get up at the same time every morning you will re-establish your
    sleeping pattern without the tablets. its hard for the first two weeks.
    you also need to try and stick to it at weekends for the first while.

dont dump your boyfriend - if he is understanding and you confide in him
    then he should support you. tell him that you are really stressed, cant sleep and are as a result getting paranoid. lack of sleep does mad things to any rational human being.

Advertisement