Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fear of dentists

• 25-11-2007 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭- bo -

Hello all...

Since yesterday morning, and all through work yesterday, Ive been putting up with an incredibly painful toothache, actually Im in a fair bit of agony right now.

I dont know if its to do with a wisdom tooth (Im 19 - male, by the way...) or if its a rotten tooth or what.

Anyways, obviously I need treatment. However I have an incredible fear of dentists that stems from a bad experience almost 9 years ago. I havent been to a dentist since.

I wouldnt mind being put asleep (this is what I had to have done in Drogheda last time) to get it removed but Im not sure this can be done so easily.

But I will NOT go to a dentist and get a tooth pulled the normal way. I'll admit Im a big pussy when it comes to this. Honestly, I start shaking when I even think of it.

Any advice on what options there are? cheers. I need to do something real soon about this, its driving me insane...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Hey,

I've been in your position, didn't and wouldn't go to the dentist and eventually went after 9 years. was made wear a brace i didn't even need when i was younger. complained about the constant pains it caused and wasn't listened to until 1 day they discovered that because i'm allergic to nickel i was allergic to the brace hence why my mouth was so swollen. ridiculous.

i eventually had to go about 2 years ago coz my teeth were wrecked. i just explained to the dentist that i was really apprehensive about getting anything was done, he understod completely and said he'd tell me everything he was doing etc and was really great about it all!! as to my fear of being able to feel the drilling etc, couldn't feel a thing! it was a good experience..

..that reminds me i better go back soon!! good luck x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The sticky in Dental forum addresses this.

http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/

• What I do is just zone out - when I get in the chair I just relax my whole body and pretend I'm on the beach or something. It's actually really effective. I'm just after getting my wisdom teeth out with no sedative and the dentist couldn't believe how calm I stayed. I'm NOT a calm person at all, I'm really anxious, but I just made myself feel as far away from the dentists chair as possible. I've done the same with some very uncomfortable hospital procedures.

You need to find out exactly what's wrong and what has to be done to fix it. If it is a wisdom tooth you can be put to sleep completely, as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭- bo -

Thanks for the advice so far. The funniest thing is I had a testicular torsion just last year and I was fine yet Im much more afraid of getting a tooth out than a testicle!!

Does there have to be only certain situations where you can be put to sleep for dental procedures or can you request it yourself for getting a tooth out? honestly thats how bad I am.

• It depends what it is. You really need to go and see the dentist for just a look so they can tell you what exactly is wrong! AFAIK you can be put to sleep for having teeth out if you want to, but I'm not 100% sure. Is it your wisdom tooth or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Its not a great idea to be knock out anywhere other than in a hospital as they do not have the medical equipment to resussitate (cant spell it) you if anything goes wrong. Why dont you try hypnotherapy???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

If it's your wisdom tooth I think you can be put to sleep, or just go for a local anaesthetic, when I had my 4 wisdom teeth out (2 each time, yuk) it was just a local. However I had braces as a kid, and lots of teeth extractions (the joys of a mouth like a shark with waaaay too many teeth for my mouth!) so I wasn't overly bothered.

And before you go for the "put me to sleep" option, try to see if you can work up the courage to just go for a local, as a general anasethetic is a far more serious route with more possible complications to consider than a local.

Is the pain in the back of your jaw/mouth? chances are it's a wisdom tooth coming up if it's at the back, you should go for a checkup to see what the problem is as you may not even be in a position to get the wisdom extracted if it's not up far enough yet, sorry to say:( so don't get yourself worked up just yet, you might not even have to have the tooth out.

And it is possible to get over a bad experience, as a kid I had a monstrous dentist, she was a total and utter cow and I'd be screaming in agony like all her other patients, and she'd tell me to stop being a baby and actually slapped me once when I roared - she'd jam the needle in waaay too far and hit bone, and then not wait for it to take effect and rip the tooth out with brute force.
    Thankfully she was forced out of practice due to barbaric methods, but I'm telling you this to let you know you can get over a traumatic experience - if your own dentist is rough, or you have had a bad experience with him/her, try going to another dentist, and ask around for recommendations from your friends and family, someone will be able to recommend a gentle and patient dentist who will be able to treat your problem, and possibly help you get over your fear of tooth extraction. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I had my wisdom teeth removed and it was not that bad and I am petrified of the dentist. I put up with the pain for 9 years also and it was terrible, in the end I went to my husbands dentist who I trusted as she looked after my husband so well - get a reccomendation for a dentist from someone you trust. You really do not feel anything when they take out your tooth, I got 3 wisdom teeth taken out by local and was fine (though I did take some time off work), I got the final one out and went straight back to work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

For some unknown reason I've fear of dentists too. I can't explain why. But my fear caused me to put off going to a dentist a few years back - and man, did I have an ordeal to go through because of the amount of times I put off having the problem seen to. I ended up having to have an apisectomy which was both highly uncomfortable and costly. Since then I've learnt that despite the fear, dental problems need to be addressed like any other medical problem - as soon as possible. So now I just grin and bear it. Not easy, but definitely necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Overcame mine earlier this month oddly enough. To the point that i had the same tooth worked on twice over a period of 72 hours. I'd a really sh*tty experience when i was 19 and the anestethic didn't kick in and the f*cker kept going at it and it took the guts of ten years before i would see one again. Guy around the corner from where i work was the complete opposite of what i'd experienced before and i make a habit of going the second i have a dental issue. The longer you leave it, the more the decay sets in and the more painful (and longer) the job gets done.

Good luck :)
    VR!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

Your fears are reasonable, afterall only a dentist can fit both hands into your mouth while emptying your wallet. Seriously though, there were a fair few butchers practicing years ago. Find yourself a modern practice staffed by recently qualified dentists - the colleges dont seem to produce butchers anymore & certainly not in the last 10-15 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

I can totally sympathise OP. My childhood dentist was a very kind semi-retired ancient German man. He was utterly lovely in every way... except he didn't believe in anaesthetics. Four fillings with no anaesthetic!

Obviously enough I was terrified of dentists for years until I was forced to go this year by a ferocious toothache in one of my wisdom teeth. Couldn't sleep the night before I went, was shaking on the way in, on the verge of tears and gave the dentist a huge monologue about how, no offence, but I hate dentists and I'm utterly terrified and please be nice and blah blah blah.....

I know it's not the advice you're looking for OP, but your fears can be overcome. I was given a huge dose of anaesthetic, the dentist calmed me down completely and took my wisdom tooth out completely painlessly in a matter of seconds.

There's no need to go on suffering with a toothache. If I, the biggest dental scaredy cat there ever was, can get over my fear, then anyone can.

If you want the contact details of this dentist (based in Finglas), PM me.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Call you dentist and tell him/her of your fear.
    Ask them can they prescribe valium to you to calm your nerves.

I have a severe fear of needles, let alone dentists but after 16 years, decided to 'conquer' this fear.... I took valium before the appointment, I forget exactly but probably 1 hour before. To be quite honest I was almost more apprehensive about taking the drug than going for a check-up but all it did was dumb me down... kinda so you don't care so much about what's going on.

Also, I have to say that the experience of the modern injections is NOTHING like what I remembered them.... my last dentist was horrid but my current one is a joy in comparison. All the same, I still kept my eyes closed so as not to see the weaponry :)
    I didn't need much work done as it turns out, couple of injections, only slightly noticing the first one and not able to feel the others AT ALL. Almost fell asleep in the chair.
    As blur would say, a sense of enormous well-being after it all too...

I also know of someone who was prescribed valium for the night before (to help with sleep), morning of and before the procedure (though they were getting a LOT of work done)

Thanks everyone for the replies, every one of them much appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I got 4 wisdom teeth out under general last year, it was great as I obviuosly didn't feel a thing and when I woke it was like I'd been asleep for a few minutes rather than a few hours.

I really don't like going to the dentist but had to go a few weeks ago, the dentist said that I was getting better as when I was younger it was a major task to get me into the chair at all, however when he was drilling to put in a filling he said I looked like I was going to have a stress heart attack at any second!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I used to have a dentist in Sandymount who filled two of my teeth with no anaesthetic - he was gentle, patient and worked slowly and carefully to ensure I didn't get hurt.

My last dentist in England was a ham fisted muppet who packed a filling in one of my teeth so hard I had to have it refilled four months later because the filling was putting pressure on the nerve, making the tooth more painful than it had been when there was a cavity...

Now I'm in Australia, trying to find a dentist yet again, so I feel your pain in a way OP. As the others have said try and get a personal recommendation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I had braces when I was younger, and I have nightmares about them to this day.
    I also had a few bad experiences with some dentists over the last couple of years..

I had a toothache during the year, and was dreading (DREADING!) going to get it looked at. I chose 'Smiles' on O'Connell Street. I haven't looked back since. The dentist was so friendly, explained everything before he did it, and I hardly felt a thing. I went back again this evening for a follow up filling. I didn't get the same dentist, as he'd left to start his own practice, but the dentist I had tonight was just as good. I'd recommend them in a second!

Point is, bad experiences can really put you off, but there are some great dentists out there, and it needn't be a nightmare.

Re getting put to sleep.. the dentist needs to get in an anesthetist to put you out, so it's not that common. I think you'd need to go to a dental hospital.

K.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi OP,
    I was the very same as you until I was about 25 (5 years ago), I hadn't been to the dentist since I had a terrible experience with an old f@rt of a dentist when I was 10. After that, you couldn't bring me near one for love nor money.

I was at work one day and one of the girls working here at the time told me about a trip to the dentist that she had. All very nice people, and they were excellent at their job. I felt more comfortable with a female dentist so I said to myself if I dont get it done now, i'll be in trouble in later life. So I booked in with her dentist the following day.

I met the dentist and her assistant and the were both really understanding. After an initial examination, she told be I needed 2 fillings (which was great considering I hadn't been in so long!).

Once I got into the chair, however, I was absolutely shaking, my heart was pounding and I thought about running out the door. A natural reaction, I guess. But they gave me some topical anesthesia around the gums and let me have 20 mins to let it really numb the area.

Knowing I was nervous, the dentist gave me the injection before I even realised they were done! After that, I didn't feel anything!

Afterwards, I was actually quite embarassed by my initial reaction. :o

So OP, trust me on this one. Get out the phone book and find a dentist. Talk to them and get to know them. When you are comfortable with them, it makes everything alot easier. You may not have to get a tooth pulled. And even if you do, you wont feel anything more than a discomfort. They will have so so dosed up on local anesthetics you wont feel a thing :D

Best of luck with it!

Well I went to the dentist yesterday for the first time since Decembeer 1998, Ive held it off since I posted this thread until now.

Turns out I now have a huge abcess. Im on 2 antibiotics for the next week to see if they'll get rid of it. Ive had the abcess Id say about 6-7 weeks now.

Going in on Tuesday morning to get the tooth pulled. Have to get some other work done soon too (a replacement filling and a new filling). I was trembling yesterday even though she was just having a look around and taking an x-ray.

So Tuesday Im gonna be sedated to get it out, can't even describe how much Im bricking it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mazzyk

You poor thing - I know how terrible the fear of dentists can be! I was useless and would start to weep as soon as I sat in the chair (went back to some bad experiences in childhood).

I have found a great dentist in Drogheda - bit of a trek for me but worth it as he's so lovely. I had had a tooth taken out in UK a few years ago & the denist sedated me for that & I had no problems whatsoever. I needed another tooth out when I moved to Ireland & my dentist in Drogheda didn't provide sedation so he recommended a clinic in Dalkey for the extraction under sedation. I can't remember how much it cost - think it may have been a little bit expensive but it was worth it for me as I would not have been able to endure an extraction without being out for it... They call it 'twilight sleep' and it's actually quite pleasant!

Good luck with your sedation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dub6Kevin

I'm your brother!

I hated the dentist and avoided them for about 12 years until I was in agony and had to face up to it.

If you want a laugh, I have found the ultimate in aversion therapy - I married a dentist in January and she treats me now!

I still hate going into the chair but I have found one trick that works for me. I find the noise of the instruments make me feel much more scared so I take my i-pod in with me. I use noise isolating earphones and put the music on full blast. I find it makes a massive difference (though my Mrs find's it very hard to concentrate with NWA pumping F*ck the Police into my ears).

Also, I agree with the advice of the others, tell the dentist how you feel and ask them to be extra careful. The sedation will really help - honest.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

Well done on plucking up the courage to go OP. That's no mean feat. Best of luck on Tuesday. You'll have ****loads of painkillers given to you, you won't feel a thing.

Ok hopefully the last post on this...

I went in today, was presribed a pill which I got and would take an hour to have any effect. An hour later I didnt really feel much different, although when walking I was a bit off balance. On the chair my body, and especially my legs went into uncontrollable shaking, I couldnt calm down. She said I could wait until March and get an IV done but there was no way I was leaving it that long.
    4 injections later (which were barely even noticeable)and about 2 minutes of pulling the tooth and that was it...all a load of hype over nothing it was in the end.

The dentist was incredibly nice, she took took it bit by bit and explaied that at any time if I wanted to stop to just let them know. They chat to you about other stuff like college etc and its really relaxing actually.

So all in all it was pain-free, the numbness is gone and I feel pretty normal now, just a couple more days of antibiotics and the abcess should be fully gone.

Thanks to everyone for replying, believe me it was very helpful along with other stuff I looked up online.

If anyone is in the same siuation I was in, PM me, I'll give you details of the place I went, they do a top job, especially with nervous patients. If they can do a job on me then they can do it on anyone...

Thanks again :cool:

Advertisement