Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Variety

Options
  • 04-07-2015 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Like most people I am sure I try to eat healthily especially but get fed up with chicken and my husband does not like fish, we both love meat and lamb and pork but i know its not good to eat these every night, just wondered what do other people do to get a proper balance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You could buy fish and give him the vegetarian option.

How about duck, rabbit, or guinea fowl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Nope that would not work I am afraid he likes something substantial.... duck he loves, now that is an idea.... not happy about poor little rabbits.... or the idea of guinea fowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dog walker 1234

What about moving away from the meat, veg, potato dinner and go with eggs for protein. So perhaps an omelette with salad / veg. Maybe not substantial enough but I feel full after it! :)

Mmmmm.... he is not that keen on eggs......Ahhhhh......the duck idea is great though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

You could try quorn instead of mince in bolognaise or lasagne. I love veggie burgers, so you could try making them. You could also make veggie curry. I find adding chickpeas and sweet potatoes makes it 'fuller' and I don't miss the meat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What sort of fish does he not like? There is a huge difference in texture & taste depending on the variety of fish. For example, mackerel, hake, salmon & monkfish are all wildly different to each other. Not to mention shellfish.

You could also consider offal for variety - kidney, liver, tripe, crubeens, etc. Not to mention venison or game, but that is largely seasonal.

I find chickpeas & cauliflower great ways of bulking up meals in place of meat - especially curries.

He does not like any fish..... like the idea of offal not sure they are that healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Zelda247 wrote: »
    He does not like any fish..... like the idea of offal not sure they are that healthy.
    No particular health problems with offal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

You couldn't get healthier or cheaper pieces of meat than offal. Rich in protein, A & B vitamins and the middle bits as I call them (kidney, heart & liver in particular) are packed with iron.
    Pigs & lambs liver is lovely fried slowly in olive oil, lamb kidneys sliced in half on toast, stuffed lamb heart......I could go on! Tongue is a slightly more scary option but simmered for a few hours in stock (I brine mine for a day or two first) and sliced up, it's delicious.

God now I want liver and all I have is roast chicken :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The only issue that might have existed is from the CJD scare a few years back, however that ban on spinal produce has been lifted and no risk exists. Brains..... Nom

• Advertisement

It would appear that a lot of the suggestions for variety are non-runners for either you or your husband. Duck being the sole exception.

So how about pizza? Make your own & add whatever variety of healthy toppings that suit you both.

You could also consider varying how you cook foods that you do like. Steaming, stir-frying, braising, roasting, barbecuing/grilling, etc.

Buy a couple of cookbooks & experiment.

yes, think a cookbook is in order, thanks for your tips guys, much appreciated all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lean pork and beef is not significantly different to chicken tbh

Do you think so.... we both love lean pork and beef and I always cut of as much fat as I can from meat. When I was a kid in the 60's my Mam drowned everything in Fat she loved fatty food and meat and as a result I can't bear any fat on meat, I even cut the fat off rashers and only eat the lean.

If you are looking for guidance on your diet - I'd suggest trying the Nutrition & Diet forum.

Advertisement