Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

~€300-350 Rig

Options
  • 16-07-2012 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi folks! My desktop kicked the bucket yesterday (or rather the power supply shorted out and took the motherboard with it) so I'm looking around for reasonably priced setups that I can do graphic design work on without any hassle.

Previously I had an Intel Q6600 with 4gb RAM and a Geforce 8800gt (the 8800gt still appears to be working fine, so I can salvage that for the time being!). I was wondering what you guys hought of the following setup:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120
    Board: Asus P8H61-M REV 3.0
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
    PSU: Antec 620W High Current Gamer
    Wireless Card: TP LINK 150Mbit-WLAN

In particular, is the PSU suitable - if I were to upgrade later on with more RAM and a high end graphics card, would the PSU crap out or would 620W suffice do you think?

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

MarkOhPolo wrote: »
    Hi folks! My desktop kicked the bucket yesterday (or rather the power supply shorted out and took the motherboard with it) so I'm looking around for reasonably priced setups that I can do graphic design work on without any hassle.

Previously I had an Intel Q6600 with 4gb RAM and a Geforce 8800gt (the 8800gt still appears to be working fine, so I can salvage that for the time being!). I was wondering what you guys hought of the following setup:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120
    Board: Asus P8H61-M REV 3.0
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
    PSU: Antec 620W High Current Gamer
    Wireless Card: TP LINK 150Mbit-WLAN

In particular, is the PSU suitable - if I were to upgrade later on with more RAM and a high end graphics card, would the PSU crap out or would 620W suffice do you think?

Thanks for any help :)

It's a massive PSU, muchos overkill. You can run the world's fastest single GPU on a 550 watt.

It probably crapped out because it was of poor quality as opposed to not having enough wattage.

I'd change it to this:

Item|Price
    ASRock H61M/U3S3 (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€56.09
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€36.71
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.92
    LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R|€14.36
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€109.50
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€276.57

Those are just the five components you had mentioned. For a full budget build, I'd get something like this:

Item|Price
    ASRock H61M/U3S3 (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€56.09
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€36.71
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.92
    LogiLink Wireless LAN 300 Mbps PCI Karte 802.11n 2T2R|€14.36
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€109.50
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's|€60.66
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€31.57
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€19.94
    MSI R6850-PMD1GD5, 1024MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€121.96
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€510.70

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MarkOhPolo

Brilliant, thanks for that! And the build you put together comes in quite a bit cheaper than what I had put together, nice one.

Thanks for the full build spec, I already have a case, hard drives etc so I' covered there. Appreciated all the same.

Apologies for the double post, but what's the deal with HWS - I ordered yesterday afternoon via Paypal and haven't heard a thing since, do they usually take more than a day to get back re receipt of payment?

Apologies for the double post, but what's the deal with HWS - I ordered yesterday afternoon via Paypal and haven't heard a thing since, do they usually take more than a day to get back re receipt of payment?

It's normally right after you process payment. Check your spam folder?

Nope nothing... tried calling them just now but since I don't speak German that didn't go very far! I had emailed them this morning as I thought it odd to have no received some sort of payment confirmation on their end after 12+ hours, but haven't heard anything back. Erm ideas?

• Advertisement

Nope nothing... tried calling them just now but since I don't speak German that didn't go very far! I had emailed them this morning as I thought it odd to have no received some sort of payment confirmation on their end after 12+ hours, but haven't heard anything back. Erm ideas?

Ring again, and just yell into the phone "Englisch! Englisch!" You'll get pretty far that way :cool:

Right. And when the same person keeps picking up the phone? Starting to think I should attempt to reverse the Paypal payment...

Right. And when the same person keeps picking up the phone? Starting to think I should attempt to reverse the Paypal payment...

They do? Most German people have some English, and should know that you want an English speaker.

Don't reverse the payment. Without sounding like their rep, they are a great company to deal with and have great prices.

Yeah that didn't get very far on the phone. I'm going to try again later and tomorrow but if I don't have any luck I'll be attempting to reverse the payment via Paypal, I do not call this acceptable customer service and am incredibly uneasy as it is :/

Advertisement