Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blow to creationist "education" drive

• 24-06-2010 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

http://ncse.com/news/2010/06/legal-defeat-icr-005583 ICR lose their legal battle against Texas eduation boards decision not to grant them a state certificate of authority to offer a master's degree in science education.

Nice to see they don't own all the judges....yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Hang on a sec... reading the article, this is about them not getting temporary certification after moving to Texas from California and waiting for their full certification, which apparently they did have while in California.

While I agree that they shouldn't be allowed to offer science degrees in any shape or form, it's still kind of scary to know that not to long ago, they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Yes but they were only accredited by the "Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools".
    The issue was not, strictly speaking, about accreditation, but about temporary state certification, which would have enabled the ICR graduate school to operate while it sought accreditation. When in California, the ICR graduate school was accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools, which requires candidate institutions to affirm a list of Biblical Foundations, including "the divine work of non-evolutionary creation including persons in God's image." TRACS is not recognized by the state of Texas, however, and after the ICR moved from Santee, California, to Dallas, Texas, the ICR expressed its intention to seek accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

This is interesting.

As a side but some what on topic I often wondered what would happen when all these college kids from these crazy Christian colleges got out into the real world and found their degrees in "Biblical geology" or what ever are in fact worthless in terms of educational qualification.

I anticipate a lot more fights over accreditation with people trying to get government organisations to recognize their particular nut case degrees (and thus qualify them for government jobs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Meh, they'll be the new Bachelors of Arts&Film Studies. In other words, completely unemployable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Wicknight wrote: »
    I often wondered what would happen when all these college kids from these crazy Christian colleges got out into the real world and found their degrees in "Biblical geology" or what ever are in fact worthless in terms of educational qualification.
    Happened to a friend of mine from down the country around ten years back. She went off to some Midwestern fundie-factory to do a degree in "Christian Education" which she thought was equivalent to a European degree in Education. She spent three or four years doing the fundamentalist thing -- creationism, "church planting", hermeneutics -- the whole kit and kaboodle. She got back home and found that the degree she'd received wasn't worth the paper it was written on, even when applying for a teaching job in a religious outfit. So she did another few years studying here in Ireland for a real degree in a real college.

Last time I spoke to her a few months back, she was doing part-time clerical work in an office.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    Happened to a friend of mine from down the country around ten years back. She went off to some Midwestern fundie-factory to do a degree in "Christian Education" which she thought was equivalent to a European degree in Education. She spent three or four years doing the fundamentalist thing -- creationism, "church planting", hermeneutics -- the whole kit and kaboodle. She got back home and found that the degree she'd received wasn't worth the paper it was written on, even when applying for a teaching job in a religious outfit. So she did another few years studying here in Ireland for a real degree in a real college.

Last time I spoke to her a few months back, she was doing part-time clerical work in an office.

I can see in the future though in America the Conservative Christian lobby demanding that the degrees be recognized for state jobs under various arguments, such as freedom of religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Wicknight wrote: »
    I can see in the future though in America the Conservative Christian lobby demanding that the degrees be recognized for state jobs under various arguments, such as freedom of religion.
    Why should freedom of religion extend to education accreditation?

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Why should freedom of religion extend to education accreditation?

MrP

The argument they would no doubt use is that "materialistic evolutionary viewpoint" is a religion, and the government cannot take one side or another. They cannot just accept people who subscribe to it, they must also accept people who think the world is 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs walked with man.

This is an argument they have tried with regard to teaching of evolution in science, that it breaches freedom of religion by the state throwing its weight being a "religious viewpoint"

Yes, ridiculously dumb but we are talking about Creationists here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hmmm, I don't think freedom of religion would ever be used in the above case.

Didn't they come up with "Intelligent Design" to deflect away from the fact that the whole thing is religious based? They knew this was the only way it could ever be part of a science curriculum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

I think intelligent design is meant to be taken as a serious competitor to science. As that nut job Steven Baldwin said on big brother, the fact that you are breathing oxygen is only a fact because someone told you it is. So if someone tells you god is a fact, then why is that any less true?

And to think you used to be able to get a degree in this stuff!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

My eyes are very tired tonight — I just read the thread title as "Blow to creationist 'education' drivel".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Same difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

The atheist-materialist conspiracy strikes again!

Advertisement