Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Ferry to France (Launch Offer)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Wally Runs wrote: »
    and €500.00 extra (or not) in your pocket!

Yeeikkes. :p

I was looking at March, where prices are the same. (Give or take €5)- I didn't realise the price difference can go that high.

No matter which way you look at it, it's brilliant. It will provide much needed Competition, as will the one that was advertised on boards until ..today? I can't find it anymore..

EDIT
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I should've read all the posts, i thought i had... (Obviously not)
    Eight Ball wrote: »
    Christ that's cheap. I'm coming in at 285 euro for 2 adults and two kids + cabin for the end of June returning middle of July. What gives here?

Irish ferries looking for 1150 for same dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Allyall wrote: »
    3+ hours extra on ferry vs 1 and a half hours more in car/camper van to Montpellier.

Very close to St Gilles Croix de ville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

July 4
    Hoping not to go to off topic. Anyone know any good keycamp style places round there for a holiday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

August 1
    Hoping not to go to off topic. Anyone know any good keycamp style places round there for a holiday?

The area known as the Vendee (south of St, Nazaire) is awash with such camps. Keycamp and most of the others do not have exclusive camps but lease areas within the larger sites and of course provide the 'keycamp' package, kids club etc. If you find a keycamp you like the look of you can in the main book direct with the camp-site. The same can be said of north of the port and Brittany, it just that sunshine is some how more abundant in the Vendee! Also have a look at http://alanrogers.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

ALWAYS book campsites direct, NEVER go with Keycamp etc. Save hundreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Dr. Nick wrote: »

I'd agree here as well. St Gilles is a nice town to start.

Great spot OP by the way. Not going to France this year, family have had enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

July 4
    Dr. Nick wrote: »

Usually higher standard too and much much cleaner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

August 1
    Nice one, OP, just booked for 10 days in July/August, 357.38 for family of 4, outside four berth cabin and extra insurance policy for 32 included in case of cancellation.

Think you just saved me over a grand compared to what we normally spend on Irish ferries!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Has anyone gone with these guys before?

They used to run the route that Celtic Link took over I believe. From the photos the ships look like the same type that Celtic Link used so you won't have any real comforts on board. But given the price they are offering I don't think you can complain.

Hopefully they trigger a price war as we now have 4 ferry companies vying for our holiday cash. Its a shame there is no direct sailing to Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

gandalf wrote: »
    They used to run the route that Celtic Link took over I believe. From the photos the ships look like the same type that Celtic Link used so you won't have any real comforts on board. But given the price they are offering I don't think you can complain.

Hopefully they trigger a price war as we now have 4 ferry companies vying for our holiday cash. Its a shame there is no direct sailing to Spain.

Yeah to be honest I think its a ridiculous routing to Spain, they should have went into Cork (Ringaskiddy) instead of Rosslare, much easier to get to with the motorways and would do a direct routing to Spain in around 20 to 22 hours compared to 19hrs from Rosslare to St.Nazaire and an additional 14hrs after that to Gijon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

July 18
    Thanks OP.
    Fantastic prices, such a shame about the Dreadful sailing times. But with savings like that I could live with it:p.

Time to start Campsite shopping again:D

August 1
    billie1b wrote: »
    Yeah to be honest I think its a ridiculous routing to Spain, they should have went into Cork (Ringaskiddy) instead of Rosslare, much easier to get to with the motorways and would do a direct routing to Spain in around 20 to 22 hours compared to 19hrs from Rosslare to St.Nazaire and an additional 14hrs after that to Gijon

The service from France - Spain is subsidised by the EU, the Ireland - France is not, nor is there a subsidy for Ireland - Spain. The route is not sold as an Ireland - Spain route, you cannot (as far as can see) book an Ireland Spain trip, you have to book two legs.

Either way is it a good price and I expect (time will tell) a fair service and what is more a BA. LD lines is a freight trucking service provider and is you will not get the same experience as Irish Ferries or Brittany. More travel lodge than Hilton me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

July 4
    I am looking at this ferry service as a means to get from A to B. Reminicent of Norfolkline from Dublin to Liverpool in the past.

If you want fancy, book Irish Ferries or Brittany Ferries. They quoted me 1200 for what I wanted at the end of June. I could not do that. Yes it would be nice to have fancy, but by buying carefully, I can do multiple short trips through the year.

This ferry cost me 345 euro for car, ferry, 5 people, cabin, return.

This allows me bring granny and now am on the lookout for a decent campsite. With the assistance of some fellow boardsies pm'ing me, I have some excellent leads.

If you want fancy and have plenty of cash, go Brittany or Irish ferries, if you are cost sensitive, go with this. You cannot miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭redmissb

August 1
    3 years ago I did this, was looking for two weeks in June, my wife rang them and asked for the car, 4 berth 3 star cabin, 2 adults 2 kids, got quoted €830
    I rang ten minutes later, asked for the exact same and said I had the Tesco vouchers, was quoted €1100 and then with the vouchers it came to €850.
    I tired it on-line aswell, firstly with no vouchers and then with vouchers, the trip with the vouchers was always more expensive and when discounted ended up the same price

Don't have time to read the whole thread so maybe it's been said already but the above is no longer the case, there is only a €20 extra charge each way for booking with Tesco tokens.

redmissb wrote: »
    Don't have time to read the whole thread so maybe it's been said already but the above is no longer the case, there is only a €20 extra charge each way for booking with Tesco tokens.

Is that foot pax though?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Is that foot pax though?

Its per sailing , as in a return trip will incur 2 x €20 fees regardless of number of passengers. I booked with them last year - had €160 worth of tokens so after fees it meant a saving for me of €120.

cathalj wrote: »
    Its per sailing , as in a return trip will incur 2 x €20 fees regardless of number of passengers. I booked with them last year - had €160 worth of tokens so after fees it meant a saving for me of €120.

Did you book over the phone or on-line?

August 1

I've booked both ways.

• Advertisement

I've booked both ways.

Cool thanks, i'll check it out again when booking for next years holiday, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭JohnR1968

July 25
    Thanks OP, we've booked a family of 6 with 2 cabins mid July till Aug for €357, saved probably a grand! A friend has cancelled IF and re-booked, brilliant what competition can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭holly8

I am looking at this ferry service as a means to get from A to B. Reminicent of Norfolkline from Dublin to Liverpool in the past.

If you want fancy, book Irish Ferries or Brittany Ferries. They quoted me 1200 for what I wanted at the end of June. I could not do that. Yes it would be nice to have fancy, but by buying carefully, I can do multiple short trips through the year.

This ferry cost me 345 euro for car, ferry, 5 people, cabin, return.

This allows me bring granny and now am on the lookout for a decent campsite. With the assistance of some fellow boardsies pm'ing me, I have some excellent leads.

If you want fancy and have plenty of cash, go Brittany or Irish ferries, if you are cost sensitive, go with this. You cannot miss.

off topic but ... Norfolkline was brill .. we went to liverpool one weekend, on a BA (€100 rt for 2+2+car) posted by yourself I think, a few years ago!! a great time on the boat

Online.

Online.

August 1
    Are there any photos anywhere of inside the ferry? So tempted to book it, just got a price of €370. The arrival/departure times aren't great with small kids though. We were down in Charente Maritime this year and by arriving in to St Nazaire we'd be there in no time at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

August 8
    Cheers , Just paid £261.50 for trip leaving August 1 and arriving Back on the 14th, Greate Value - 2 Adults 3 Kids 1 Cabin 1 Seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

July 4
    Are there any photos anywhere of inside the ferry? So tempted to book it, just got a price of €370. The arrival/departure times aren't great with small kids though. We were down in Charente Maritime this year and by arriving in to St Nazaire we'd be there in no time at all.

No the times are not great with kids but sure we'll all be in the same boat:D

August 1

The boat is pretty much the same as the Celtic link boat, I think they are sister ships, if not big sister and little sister. 1 bar, 1 cafe, 1 cinema, 1 restaurant and open decks?

August 1
    juneg wrote: »
    No the times are not great with kids but sure we'll all be in the same boat:D

:D true!
    Think I'll go for it!

• Advertisement

August 1
    Wally Runs wrote: »
    The boat is pretty much the same as the Celtic link boat, I think they are sister ships, if not big sister and little sister. 1 bar, 1 cafe, 1 cinema, 1 restaurant and open decks?

Is this smaller than Celtic Link? Saw the CF ferry in Cherbourg this summer it looked tiny next to Irish Ferries!

Is this smaller than Celtic Link? Saw the CF ferry in Cherbourg this summer it looked tiny next to Irish Ferries!

Celtic links Horizon is 20 metres longer than the Irish Ferries Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

I do Spain twice a year normally with Celtic Link (as dog goes free). Cherbourg/Torreveija 1050 miles, fuel 270e( return), road tolls 11.50e each way total about 750 euros return. I would prefer the Celtic or LD ferry(they look the same) as I consider some of the others top heavy and more likely to rock and roll. I spent many years truck driving and travelled on a lot of different ferries even did Newhaven/Dieppe on LD( good company). Had a few rough crossings in my time. Will check this one out as it looks good, only problem I see is one crossing a week and will be booked up soon. Not sure why people go camping, seems expensive compared to some hotels or even chalets in holiday villages. One site wanted 50 euros a night for a tent (my daughter) when I can get a hotel room for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Would be a bit worried about how it would handle a bad weather crossing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

That's really cheap, €299 car and two passengers the last week of the Tour de France. I've gone cyclotouring in France a few times and I stay in cheap F1 hotels, they're only around €30 for a clean bed, shower and a bowl of cereal in the morning. I never understood the campsite thing either.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Anyone got a link to the website u use for this new service please?

My searches are turning up some confusing things for LD..

Thanks

Edited....got it in the OP ..doh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The lidl boat surprising and cheap...only 36 hour crossing :D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hal1 wrote: »

You sir are very good at maths....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Only 28 Hours from Cork to A Coruña in Spain Getting a Ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Hal1 wrote: »

It's 22hrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Bargain Alert all right!
    Might make the others cut their massive prices.

Pick of advice for anybody going over with no accom booked yet.
    Holiday World Fair in RDS January is where French (& Italian) campsites look for people making their own way over.
    You pay the price of direct booking with the site itself and not price of site
    plus agents/ferry company top ups.
    You can book directly with them there and it makes a huge saving.
    Keep an eye for the listing of exhibitors.

http://www.holidayworldshow.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Oh jesus wept lighten up bright sparks :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Anyone have any tips for campsites close to st nazaire or along the west coast? I will have a 1 year old so plan to find sites eirh pre-pitched tents.

Any help appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Allyall wrote: »
    Only 28 Hours from Cork to A Coruña in Spain Getting a Ferry.

When I click on that link I'm seeing Ferry + Chunnel + 50 hours driving + 800 euro in diesel (return journey) + X number of piss stops + X number of food stops / driving breaks + tolls + waiting in dublin + waiting in hollyhead + waiting in folkestone + waiting in calais. I'd rather a week in bed with the flu.

Sister ships:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27NIZKaug-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khzjJD_MNzI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl3F40Dwj8Q

similar:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7G2CYEgyKE

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭rockihudson

for anyone interested in private mobilehome rentals we used http://www.directholidayhomes.co.uk/ for 2 yrs. they seem to be all /mostly siblu sites but have owners that rent out their mobiles . we usually go last week june and first week july and found prices good. also to be aware that with these campsites and private rental means that we had pay fees for use of leisure facilities . still good savings when all added up. some of these private rentals have extras like kids& adult bikes , washing machine, , travel cots,toys etc . we got great value last yr where people we rented off threw in passes to leisure faciliies free of charge. ( think buisness slower last wk of june/1st week of july and they said they as owners they get a few free passes for guests) so they delighted to have irish bookings as we finish school earlier here. we flew both times but very interested in this ferry offer . we stayed at la reserve Siblu both times... about hour and half from bordeaux where we flew into 2nd time . first time flew into bilbao spain and drove 3hrs up .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

July 11
    Thanks OP, just booked for 2 adults and 2 kids in early July for an 11 day holiday, €325 return including the 4-berth cabin, about a quarter of what I seen quoted by other companies, no brainer really.

OK, so 22 hours on a small(ish) ferry might seem like a long time, but we'll stock up on a few good movies/games on the tablet and the ipods, bring a fresh set of cards, plenty of snacks and treat it as an adventure. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say :).

Now to spend the next 6 months researching Brittany and the Vendee....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Pardon me if this has been mentioned, but who's taking the horse to France :P

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

This LD lines looks like a rubbish option to me,When you need to drive across UK,the extra driving and currency does not make it worth it.Best service by far from Ireland is with Brittany ferries Cork to Roscoff in 13 hours,and it feels more like a cruise than a truckers rickety ferry,for not that much more money either when you book on time,and speaking from experience they have much better facilities for pets if with family,and bikers if doing it that way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Owldshtok wrote: »
    This LD lines looks like a rubbish option to me,When you need to drive across UK,the extra driving and currency does not make it worth it.Best service by far from Ireland is with Brittany ferries Cork to Roscoff in 13 hours,and it feels more like a cruise than a truckers rickety ferry.

Well, if you are going Rosslare - St. Nazaire ( which most people are) you won't be going to the UK;)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Well, if you are going Rosslare - St. Nazaire ( which most people are) you won't be going to the UK;)

Hmm,so why didn't that option show up on the OP link?
    where am I missing something??

• Advertisement
Advertisement