Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low cost roaming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Just saw on the German mydealz.de site that some lad has gone to the trouble of setting up a wiki and doing a write up on a rake of countries :)

http://prepaidwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

had the lebara while in paris. Good signal strength, but the data is quite slow. cant comment for outside paris. Call charges appear very reasonable.
    very easy to buy and setup sim.

just be aware, you have to register the sim before using, and the customer care is only open 9am to 9pm. i couldnt do it online when i got in at 10pm because i had no internet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Ive now put SIM into a mifi device and its working pretty well.

Hi Marty, is your MiFi device unlocked? I have a Vodafone MiFi device http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/mobile-broadband/vodafone-mobile-wifi-r206 about 6 months. Can I just stick a Lebara sim into it and use it as a hot spot or will I have to hack it somehow???

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Is that the unlock code?

Ben

• Advertisement

Hi Fred, can I ask how you actually enter the unlock code into the device?

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Adapters-Preloaded-minutes-Unlimited/dp/B00ABJ0WA8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This looks like it will fit the bill for use in France for 2 weeks in August , Its a 3 PAYG Sim with Nano and Micro Adapters and comes with £15 Credit for unlimited data for 30 days, Am I missing something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

galait wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Adapters-Preloaded-minutes-Unlimited/dp/B00ABJ0WA8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This looks like it will fit the bill for use in France for 2 weeks in August , Its a 3 PAYG Sim with Nano and Micro Adapters and comes with £15 Credit for unlimited data for 30 days, Am I missing something ?

No it'll work fine in phones but will stop working if used in a tablet or for tethering.

• Advertisement

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    No it'll work fine in phones but will stop working if used in a tablet or for tethering.

Yes we already know that , But my point is the simplicity of getting the SIM that will fit in any phone that already has the required credit delivered free to Ireland as long as you spend another £10 on Amazon ...

Other posters are getting family to post SIM's and then having issues with buying credit on a 3 UK website etc etc etc...

What are the costs when roaming in France with 3 IRL ? I know the UK is free , My Brother is currently in Hospital in the UK and using a 3 PAYG Sim with €20 topup every 30 days and he is using it in a MIFI Device , He uses SKY GO , Netflix , Aertv.ie , Skype and it is fantastic

Any Link to this , Found it...

Yes we already know that , But my point is the simplicity of getting the SIM that will fit in any phone that already has the required credit delivered free to Ireland as long as you spend another £10 on Amazon ...

Other posters are getting family to post SIM's and then having issues with buying credit on a 3 UK website etc etc etc...

Well as you've read the thread you'll see how I did it very simply.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

A 3Ireland sim will cost 24.6cent/MB in France. It is not covered by three like home (unlike the 3UK sim)

A 3Ireland sim will cost 24.6cent/MB in France. It is not covered by three like home (unlike the 3UK sim)

that's my understanding too, although this is strange on the Three site:

Roaming with Prepay Broadband.

Use your daily, weekly or monthly add-ons just like home without any extra roaming charges. Just buy a top up voucher at an Irish Three store or Three top up retailer before you go, and go to My Three to buy a daily, weekly, or monthly add-on.

Bon voyage!

https://apps.three.ie/roaming/pages/display/data-roaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

From my recent experience:-

3 like home worked great in the UK.
    In France the dongle kept locking to a network not on the 3 partner list, never got any data connection.

Queried with 3 when I got back, it seems that you need to have credit on your account if you want to roam in any of the above countries, it's not enough to have purchased an addon, even if there is loads of unused data, it will not be used for general roaming, will only be used if there is a 3 network.

• Advertisement

Thanks Fred, appreciate it.

Well where is the truth , Has anyone confirmed that PAYG Broadband from Three IRL can be used in France with no extra charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭martyc5674

It can be used free of roaming charges if on the flex or flex max packages (I forget the exact names)... But it can't be used on regular PAYG
    Marty

Spipov wrote: »
    had the lebara while in paris. Good signal strength, but the data is quite slow. cant comment for outside paris. Call charges appear very reasonable.
    very easy to buy and setup sim.

just be aware, you have to register the sim before using, and the customer care is only open 9am to 9pm. i couldnt do it online when i got in at 10pm because i had no internet...

Hi Spipov,

How did you manage to register the Lebara sim? I got one today and called the helpline to register it only to be told the only way to register is to pop it into a phone and text a UK short number e.g. 55555. I explained I was in Ireland and the guy (aged about 13) said it first had to be registered in the UK from a UK network before it could be topped up or used abroad!!

I'm sure he's wrong but he was adamant.

This is what I get when I try to register online

i5ur0y.jpg

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

erm, i dont know, call them again. i speak french, so got it registered straight away while on the call. the girl at the time was helpful, and she only needed my driver licence number and address in ireland.

bear in mind, you need the APN settings for lebara mobile for data to work. i cant remember it, but ask when you call the helpline the first time as its free.

everytime you call customer service, there is a charge thereafter.

Spipov wrote: »
    erm, i dont know, call them again. i speak french, so got it registered straight away while on the call. the girl at the time was helpful, and she only needed my driver licence number and address in ireland.

bear in mind, you need the APN settings for lebara mobile for data to work. i cant remember it, but ask when you call the helpline the first time as its free.

everytime you call customer service, there is a charge thereafter.

Figured it out. I was sent a UK Lebara SIM which needs to be activated via a handset making a call to "5588" which is a UK short number service. I tried +445588 and although the call failed it seemed to make enough of a connection to complete the activation because 2 minutes later I got a text confirming activation. I then went through the online set up and having completed that I went to buy a data pass only to realise because it's a UK SIM I can only buy UK data plans.

If I want a French data plan I need to buy a Lebara SIM in France when I arrive and then register it which can be done online on the French website.

Drama drama!!!

Ben

I'm in the Vendee region at Port-Bourgenay. I'm using a French sim from Joe mobile, I ordered it at home & got it delivered to the site. You need a Web connection to activate it on there website. For €30 I get call within France, landline calls back to Ireland & 7GB of data for 30 days. You log your credit card details with them, you are able to turn off the automatic top up after 30 days. If you don't top up within 6 months the sims it inactive. I'm getting 3.68mbs download & I'm able to use the device as a hotspot. They have an app you can see your usage & turn off the recharge of the sim card.
    I ordered this 1 week ago and it Arrived today at my address in Ireland (€1 cost),
    I will activate if I need to with €30 for the 7 GB of data
    The Joe SIM is only a backup as I intend using 3 UK PAYG SIM with £15 topup which gives AYCED... , I hope that 3 UK because I will be roaming in France wont twig I will be using it a MiFi Device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Heading to Italy in a few weeks (on O2 Bill Pay) - what's the best options, presume will need to get the phone unlocked anyhoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

I know I started this thread praising Lebara, but on last visit I was not able to get internet working on Moto G or Nokia 625 :-( I was only able to use it with iPhone which is big let down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Heading to Italy in a few weeks (on O2 Bill Pay) - what's the best options, presume will need to get the phone unlocked anyhoo?

Maybe not- any O2 phone I've ever gotten- hasn't been locked. Put a Vodafone/Meteor SIM in here- and see if they work- but I'd guess there is a good chance its unlocked already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

thumbs up for the giffgaff sim for the UK. Was able to set all up online and had good coverage most places. I went with the £12 top up and best of all I have to go back to the UK within the calendar month so I wont have to pay again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Get a three prepay sim and buy credit then use three like home in Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Best option for communicating between Ireland and France?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

A translator?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Get a three prepay sim and buy credit then use three like home in Italy

Tnx - will look into that, unlock code came today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Tnx - will look into that, unlock code came today

That only works on the flex plans.. Read the fine print

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Best option for communicating between Ireland and France?

Lay your hands on a working 3 uk sim.

When you travelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Was in Germany recently and I ordered a sim card from blau.de and had it delivered to the hotel for when I arrived. Worked great and cost €10 for 1gb for 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

Just realised I never gave a further update on the Lebara and three UK Sims in France...

In Short get a three UK SIM unless you want it for tethering, fast enough to load most webpages, Facebook, Twitter etc but not to stream video. Good enough coverage when stationary, however when on the road travelling, it can be a bit patchy.

However a Lebara SIM card is actually ok when tethering, seems to tether better then using it on a main device! Was shocking slow on main device probably the equivalent of GPRS service even though the signal was supposedly 3G.

Both Sims were used in West France (Vendee) and Paris and both roaming on the same network Bougytel(hope I've spelled that right) Lebara uses that network as it is an MVNO and 3 seems to roam on it by default...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

heading to france friday and am on three here in ireland. have picked up a vodafone prepay sim and will go red roaming on it. Its 2.99 a day for 100mb and all calls. if i put on €20 I get €10 free. Also have an option of 50mb for €2 per 24 hours.

I have the option of picking something up in france in carrefour or whatever. Will be using it for mostly mobile data around the loire.

Anyone have any other options/ideas?

• Advertisement

heading to france friday and am on three here in ireland. have picked up a vodafone prepay sim and will go red roaming on it. Its 2.99 a day for 100mb and all calls. if i put on €20 I get €10 free. Also have an option of 50mb for €2 per 24 hours.

I have the option of picking something up in france in carrefour or whatever. Will be using it for mostly mobile data around the loire.

Anyone have any other options/ideas?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ABJ0WA8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am on the LD on Friday aswell , I got one of these delivered and activated it and it is working fine in Ireland and will be the same in France , It has unlimited data .... In the UK it only works in a phone and no tethering or hotspot /Mifi , But I will try it in a Mifi in France as it must harder for them to identify the device the sim is in when roaming - Heres Hoping.

The 3 Sim from Amazon is working a treat around Nantes , Skype etc all working fine ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Quick question regarding the 3UK sim: when does the sim get activated for use? Is it when the sim is put into a phone for the first time?

I might pick up a sim but won't be using it straight away, so I don't want it to expire before I use it.

dave oc wrote: »
    Quick question regarding the 3UK sim: when does the sim get activated for use? Is it when the sim is put into a phone for the first time?

I might pick up a sim but won't be using it straight away, so I don't want it to expire before I use it.

When you put into phone

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

The 3 Sim from Amazon is working a treat around Nantes , Skype etc all working fine ,

Is this in a phone or with a mifi device?

Phone only

When I put into mifi it redirected to 3 portal saying sim was only for phone use
    Is this in a phone or with a mifi device?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Hi All
    I'm in spain at moment using sim got in voadafone shop 1.5gb for 15 euro valid 3 months, though seems to use data very fast (used 0.6 in 3 days) Good speed mostly Hsdpa+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

I read somewhere that for those 3 UK SIMs the All You Can Eat Data roaming thing only kicks in after you use the SIM for more than 30 days.

Any experience with this?
    Going to Paris in two weeks and need data!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

I read somewhere that for those 3 UK SIMs the All You Can Eat Data roaming thing only kicks in after you use the SIM for more than 30 days.

Any experience with this?
    Going to Paris in two weeks and need data!

Not true...used it in France about a month ago. Topped it up 2 days before...worked fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Awesome, cheers!

Now to find some crap I don't need on Amazon so I bring it over the £25 threshold to get free shipping!
    (yes, I know that makes no sense)

• Advertisement
Advertisement