Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 3GS/4/4S/5 - Groupon Deals [Threads Merged]

• 18-05-2014 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/gg-tab2fone/39171267

Choice of refurbished iPhone 3GS, 4, 4s or 5

Two-year warranty

Unlocked and sim-free

Includes earphones with mic, car charger, screen protector (front side) and case

Models from iPhone 3GS up to 5 are available, all with a host of features including a multi-touch display, video recording, a still camera, and access to an abundance of music, TV shows and apps. The phones are unlocked and sim-free and come with earphones, a car charger, screen protector and case to keep phones looking and working their best.

Choose from the following options for a refurbished iPhone, distributed by tab2phone:

----

iPhone 3GS

€149 for 16GB

Wi-Fi and cellular
    Talk time: Up to 5 hours on 3G, up to 12 hours on 2G
    Standby time: Up to 300 hours
    3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen
    Multi-touch display
    480 x 320 resolution
    3MP still camera
    Video recording up to 30 frames per second
    3.5-mm stereo headphone minijack
    Built-in speaker
    Microphone

----

iPhone 4

€209 for 8GB in black or white

€239 for 16GB in black

€259 for 32GB in black

Wi-Fi and Cellular
    Talk time: Up to 7 hours on 3G, up to 14 hours on 2G
    Retina multi-Touch display
    960 x 640 resolution
    5MP still camera
    HD video recording up to 30 frames per second
    Built-in speaker
    Microphone

----

iPhone 4s

€289 for 8GB in black

€309 for 16GB in black or white

€319 for 32GB in black

Wi-Fi and Cellular
    Talk time: Up to 7 hours on 3G, up to 14 hours on 2G
    Retina multi-touch display
    960 x 640 resolution
    8MP front and rear still camera
    1080p HD video recording up to 30 frames per second
    Built-in speaker
    Microphone

----

iPhone 5

€449 for 16GB in black or white
    Wi-Fi and cellular
    Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G
    Standby time: Up to 225 hours
    4-inch (diagonal) widescreen
    Retina multi-touch display
    960 x 640 resolution
    8MP front and rear still camera
    Panorama
    1080p HD video recording up to 30 frames per second
    Built-in speaker
    Microphone

-

I'm tempted to get the 32GB iPhone 4 - is €259 a good price?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

The problem is who refurbished it? apple or one of their techs? also a quick look on whois shows its only 5 months old and based in scottsdale usa. I personally think its screaming of buyer beware, but I wouldnt go for an iphone either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Ah FFS, how is this called Bargain Alerts when it is the reason all my money seems to disappear.

Looks like I'll be getting a phone & a tablet next week thanks to BA.

Edit: Link explaining the difference between iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, for anyone who wants to know like I did:

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/the-difference-between-the-iphone-4-and-iphone-4s/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

PLL wrote: »
    Ah FFS, how is this called Bargain Alerts when it is the reason all my money seems to disappear.

What is the difference between the 4 and the 4S? (Aside from the camera)

4s is a much faster phone overall.

But I still wouldn't buy one especially at that price.
    Unless you really need facetime or imessage, there are much better Phones for that price out there.
    One off hand is the nexus 5 which could be gotten for that price. Or even the nexus 4 which could be gotten for around 200 or under.
    The Moto G can be gotten for around 150 and is a great phone for everyday use and Internet etc.

Or the Oneplus one at 299 is prob the best phone out there is atm at the price/spec.
    Google it and you will see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Edit: Link explaining the difference between iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, for anyone who wants to know like I did:

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/the-difference-between-the-iphone-4-and-iphone-4s/

are you going for the 4 or 4s?

mcw92 wrote: »
    4s is a much faster phone overall.

But I still wouldn't buy one especially at that price.
    Unless you really need facetime or imessage, there are much better Phones for that price out there.
    One off hand is the nexus 5 which could be gotten for that price. Or even the nexus 4 which could be gotten for around 200 or under.
    The Moto G can be gotten for around 150 and is a great phone for everyday use and Internet etc.

Or the Oneplus one at 299 is prob the best phone out there is atm at the price/spec.
    Google it and you will see :)

I know there are plenty of other great smartphones out there and I have owned a few of them, my OH and best friend have S4's and adore them. However, I bought an iPod touch years ago and ever since I've been an Apple convert. I just love the style and user interface, nothing else for me can compare.

I've wanted to get one for ages but could never justify the price especially with having a young family. Now I have some extra money saved I think I need to treat myself.

• Advertisement

Sam Mac wrote: »
    are you going for the 4 or 4s?

4 - 16GB

I couldn't afford the 4S, even though the better camera had me contemplating it for a while.

Will you get the 4 - 32GB do you think?

4 - 16GB

I couldn't afford the 4S, even though the better camera had me contemplating it for a while.

Will you get the 4 - 32GB do you think?

I may do, why didn't you pay the extra €20 to get 32GB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

I wouldn't go for the 4, it struggles on the new iOS, worth paying for the 4s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Min id get would be the S even then Id worry when apple will stop updating it.

I know there are plenty of other great smartphones out there and I have owned a few of them, my OH and best friend have S4's and adore them. However, I bought an iPod touch years ago and ever since I've been an Apple convert. I just love the style and user interface, nothing else for me can compare.

I've wanted to get one for ages but could never justify the price especially with having a young family. Now I have some extra money saved I think I need to treat myself.

Ok fair enough. But if you are paying for the look and feel, then I would recommend using a different launcher(link) on any android device. It will make it look exactly like an iPhone on the menus and folders and etc.
    Obviously the difference would be when you open messages it will open the android messages app or hangouts and not the iPhones imessage app, and the same for other default apple apps like calendar and settings.
    And it still won't allow it to connect to iTunes and sync etc.

But it makes the menu look identical to an iPhone.
    I used this one for a while and it was great, looked exactly like an iPhone.

• Advertisement

Ok fair enough. But if you are paying for the look and feel, then I would recommend using a different launcher(link) on any android device. It will make it look exactly like an iPhone on the menus and folders and etc.
    Obviously the difference would be when you open messages it will open the android messages app or hangouts and not the iPhones imessage app, and the same for other default apple apps like calendar and settings.
    And it still won't allow it to connect to iTunes and sync etc.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. I'm still a bit hesitant about it. I would love to love a phone that isn't apple tbh, hate the idea of paying that price for something that will seem a bit ancient by next year. I'm going to check out the phones you suggested in your previous post. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

PLL

I'd advise against buying a 4 or a 4S they're a few years old at this stage and while theres nothing wrong with
    them they likely wont get iOS 8 as they're struggling with iOS7. This model will almost certainly be discontinued
    when the next iPhone is introduced too.

Be better off waiting until August/September timeframe. When the iPhone 6 is announced the other models
    usually get a bump down in price. You'd probably get an iPhone 5 or 5S for around €300 to €450 at that stage
    either new or second hand.

The prices they're charging for refurbished units are silly. The networks are giving heavy discounts on the 4S
    at the moment as they're trying to get rid of them. If you really want an iPhone i'd keep your eye out for a new
    4S online. Plenty of them selling sealed in the box over the last few weeks for around €200 - €250. Just be wary
    of donedeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,930 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I learn something new everyday and i'd love an iphone to be honest
    currently have a samsung s3 mini

I didnt pay for this app but went for the ios launcher by joda and
    so far so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

Lads you'd be much better off buying on Adverts from a seller with decent feedback. For €300 you'd get an iPhone 5, for €200 you'll easily get a good condition 4S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

B_Rabbit wrote: »
    Lads you'd be much better off buying on Adverts from a seller with decent feedback. For €300 you'd get an iPhone 5, for €200 you'll easily get a good condition 4S

But do you get a 2 year warranty?

Maestro84 wrote: »

What does the 2 year 'warranty' cover though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

Maestro84 wrote: »

I don't think the two year warranty will be much good to you. Apple only cover their own products until 12 months after they're first activated

B_Rabbit wrote: »
    I don't think the two year warranty will be much good to you. Apple only cover their own products until 12 months after they're first activated

But consumer law overrides that, no?

Anybody would expect an Apple product to last a good few years as long as they are taking care of the product.

Anyway, I just bought a 32GB 4S like new in box for €250 incl. registered post from Adverts which is an excellent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Saw this today and was wondering if anyone had experience with the company offering the deal, tab2fone. Their website doesn't look very promising but a 2 year warranty is included... Seems like a good deal though?

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/gg-tab2fone-69/40217345

Was posted before, prices are slightly cheaper now though.

Still not worth it though IMO, Moto G is much better value than the iPhone 4, and Nexus/LG2 is much better value than 4S.
    Not to mention the better specs. Would only buy if you really need an iPhone, for Facetime/iMessage etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

isnt there an issue with ios 8 not running on the 4s? think there is. not that I would buy one anyway.

daytob wrote: »
    isnt there an issue with ios 8 not running on the 4s? think there is. not that I would buy one anyway.

Nope, iOS 8 works with iPhone 4S and above. The 4 is not compatible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Did anybody order one of these when the groupon deal was on before? Thinking of buying one but would be interested to know how others got on with this. 3 hours to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Lima Golf wrote: »
    Did anybody order one of these when the groupon deal was on before? Thinking of buying one but would be interested to know how others got on with this. 3 hours to go...
    Deal's still there for three more days. I'm thinking of getting the 4 or 4S but I'd love to see were the previous posters satisfied or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭dubal2008

Fine Print
    Your order: At purchase you will be prompted to enter a delivery address; once entered your order will be placed automatically via Direct Checkout. Delivery address cannot be amended after order is placed.
    Further information: Includes two-prong EU plug. Three-prong adapter not included but can be used. Items can also be charged by USB. By purchasing a Groupon, you are purchasing a voucher for the underlying products or services described above. Orders fulfilled by Tab 2 Fone. For queries contact tab 2 fone @ gmail . com.
    See the rules that apply to all deals.
    ...Your buying a voucher to use against a phone ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 roofit

Has anybody actually bought a device of any sort from tab2fone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

I almost pulled the trigger on this deal but with no reviews, positive or negative, I was too afraid! I ended up buying an iPhone 4s for €190 on adverts.ie off a buyer with good reviews. Phone Is working perfectly so turned out well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Button09

I bought 2 the last time and they perfect

Button09 wrote: »
    I bought 2 the last time and they perfect

How long were u waiting button for what you got? Website says 7 working days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Button09

roofit wrote: »
    How long were u waiting button for what you got? Website says 7 working days.

I'd say it was 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Who in their right mind would pay 150 for an iphone 3gs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 G Del

Hi Everyone,

did any purchase the device from tab2fone?

Thanks

G Del wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Yes I bought a Samsung tab 3 , still waiting for it to arrive. I will let you know how I get on when it does.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Yes I bought a Samsung tab 3 , still waiting for it to arrive. I will let you know how I get on when it does.

Were you waiting long for your order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Who in their right mind would pay 150 for an iphone 3gs?
    Totally agree. As an absolute minimum, 4S. Ideally and of the 5 bracket, if for nothing else other than ios support. The 5 range should be supported for a good while yet.

Were you waiting long for your order?

Ordered it on the 14th July, got shipment confirmation on the 20th of july. It's being sent from France so I am expecting it tomorrow or Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Campingplaces

I ordered one of these (iPhone 4)

When I got it it worked for about a week, then the battery got ****ed.
    The battery lasts about 2 hours max, charges REALLY slowely, and also dies when it's between 40-75%

Wrote to the company several times( as there is a warrantee), that was several weeks ago. No reply.

Currently dealing with groupon themselves to organise a refund.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. THE COMPANY DOES NOT RESPECT THE WARRANTEE OR REPLY TO QUERIES

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Campingplaces

Also the phone was meant to arrive in 7-10 working days, took at least 3 weeks. I had begun to think it wasn't coming

I ordered one of these (iPhone 4)

When I got it it worked for about a week, then the battery got ****ed.
    The battery lasts about 2 hours max, charges REALLY slowely, and also dies when it's between 40-75%

Wrote to the company several times( as there is a warrantee), that was several weeks ago. No reply.

Currently dealing with groupon themselves to organise a refund.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. THE COMPANY DOES NOT RESPECT THE WARRANTEE OR REPLY TO QUERIES

I have send them an email to ask them a few question to suss out the company and I have no response from them. The offer seems too good to be true!

• Advertisement

I have send them an email to ask them a few question to suss out the company and I have no response from them. The offer seems too good to be true!

The Samsung galaxy s3 tab 7" was waiting for me when I got home from work this evening. Everything seems in working order connected to WiFi fine, web browsing reasonly quickand looks brand new. My only concern is what the battery is like I'll figure that out in the next couple of days. Took 8 working days to arrive.

The Samsung galaxy s3 tab 7" was waiting for me when I got home from work this evening. Everything seems in working order connected to WiFi fine, web browsing reasonly quickand looks brand new. My only concern is what the battery is like I'll figure that out in the next couple of days. Took 8 working days to arrive.

Thanks Roofit for letting me know. I hope everythng will work out for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Just came across this earlier,

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/special/gg-hotbargainphones-1-17/51716395

Is it a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

mad m wrote: »

Is it a bargain.

Anyone ever bought electronics from Groupon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

If you look up hotbargain phones you find a lot of negative things . I would stay well clear myself .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

mad m wrote: »

Is it a bargain.

Seller seems like a nightmare. It's also a secondhand phone rather than your typical apple refurb - which is essentially the exact same as a new phone.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/ask/hi-anyone-bought-a-phone-from-hot-bargain-phones-1991512#comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭zenith90

Any one have any luck with this from earlier Groupon deals?
    I see another Groupon deal today for an iPhone 5 32GB refurbished and 12month warranty for €299.

Tempted to pull the trigger as I have been look for one on Adverts for a while.

Advertisement