Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pirate TV

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Also, LTV broadcsts Channel4 now.

I'll try to get some photos.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Is LTV a priate TV channel or just a re-broadcaster?

Elmo wrote: »
    Is LTV a priate TV channel or just a re-broadcaster?

Both, it has its own programmes and broadcasts Channel 4 when not broadcasting LTV content.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

RLO TV was legalised Rebroadcasting of C5 & BBC. They lost the licence BECAUSE they opted out with their own adverts and programs.

Re-broadcasting without Comreg spectrum licence AND BCI licence for content OR spectrum Licence AND UK source agreement royalty payment is Pirate TV.

I'm sure if you complain Comreg will close LTV.

No "Deflector"/Rebroadcast terrestrial operator has any licence to do their own content and not likely to get one either. Any terrestrial rebroadcaster doing their own programs is contraving their licence, all of which expire this year.

Even UPC/Casey have to get BCI licence to put any content of their own on cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭medja

LTV has been on air since 1983 in one form or another. At the start it broadcast nothing but it's own shows. It came on air at 9.25 on Wednesday nights for about 40 weeks in the year.

At the start it was nights of music, some local plays and news items of interest as far as I remember. After about a year on air it started to relay BBC 2 and then HTV when it wasn't on air.

However, By around the mid 80's it was on air for about 4 hours on a Wednesday and repeated on Sunday. There was also extra programmes at Christmas.

Programmes made included a chat show, A quiz show and a 6 part Drama/comedy series. I believe it was called Strangers. There were farming programmes from Acot. (the government farming agency at the time!) The Guards had some input, and there was a good bit of religion.

In 1988 it closed down on the 31st of Dec with all other pirate broadcasters. This was after 10 or so days of nights of broadcast which included lots of unshown material, and a live relay of Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve.

It came back on air at some point over the following year and since 1990 it's been on regularly. LTV 2 also started which comes from millstreet.

I moved from the area in the 90's so I don't have details from that point on. However I do know they rebroadast EWTN the catholic newtwork from the US a lot of the time, this may have stopped.

RTE made a documentary about the man behind the station in 2006.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/flux/1093389.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Theres some footage of the former Limerick TV station on Youtube here:
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=83vL-UNU-fc&feature=channel_page

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

There is also material from LTV2 in Millstreet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFwWA1C97yk

a short clip of the ill-fated very short lived Nova TV Dublin which was sometime in the 80s:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=88pjPzLgvG8

this was to be commercial, with RTE very concerned about ad revenue.
    Very few people probably ever saw the short-lived broadcasts, with Dublin being so heavily cabled to a high percentage of homes, and this was only available with an aerial.

The Knocknagree deflector is offline.

This also effects Kiskeam, Ballydesmond, Boherbue, Scartaglin and Rathmore.

Viewers in parts of Knockaclarig and Ballydaly may also be affected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

watty wrote: »
    RLO TV was legalised Rebroadcasting of C5 & BBC. They lost the licence BECAUSE they opted out with their own adverts and programs.

Re-broadcasting without Comreg spectrum licence AND BCI licence for content OR spectrum Licence AND UK source agreement royalty payment is Pirate TV.

I'm sure if you complain Comreg will close LTV.

No "Deflector"/Rebroadcast terrestrial operator has any licence to do their own content and not likely to get one either. Any terrestrial rebroadcaster doing their own programs is contraving their licence, all of which expire this year.

Even UPC/Casey have to get BCI licence to put any content of their own on cable.

Only came across this thread today. Speaking of Casey TV, Dungarvan, it is worth remembering that, in 1979, they constructed the longest TV mainline cable in Europe (from Seefin Mountain, 2000 FASL) to Dungarvan.

It was, to say the least, a monumental task. And while people were acclaiming 'battery runs' up a mountain, the Casey family were quietly planning and developing an independent Broadband infrastructure, when few people knew what the Internet was.

They also supplied the four UK channels to Cork Multichannel in 1982/3 when the Cork company, against advice, located their 'Head End' at the Knockmealdown Mountains in County Waterford, some 600 feet higher than Casey's, Seefin site.

However, reception was erratic, and a 12-mile mainline to connect to Casey's at the Master McGrath monument, near Dungarvan, was laid. This resulted in the Cork Company eventually ending up with a SIXTY-MILE mainline (then the longest in the world), when one microwave hop would have achieved the same.

Because of Ireland's draconian laws regarding Microwave, The Department Of Posts and Telegraphs were the only ones allowed operate them. Not even RTÉ had its own independent microwave network.

When you look back now it was ridiculous. The money spent building these long TV lines could have been invested in better infrastructure in the networks themselves. But such were the lunatic regulations of the day.

But back to the Caseys. They now have what is recognised as one of the most modern , high-tech Cable TV networks in Europe, if not the world. They rightly deserve to be appluaded for their ongoing efforts and R & D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Chorus Cavan/Limerick TV link may have been the first private licenced Microwave link. I got a tour once of the Keeper Hill end in Limerick. I may have some photos someplace.

More about the receive installations on Keeper Hill (Co. Tipperary) and Seefin (Co. Waterford) here:

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/aerialphotography/aerialingus/015.html

pictures of Seefin (including the 'brick hut' which contained receive aerial) here:
    www.mountainviews.ie/mv/index.php?mtnindex=90

maybe there should be a seperate thread here about developement of cable TV in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tax The Farmers

"Because of Ireland's draconian laws regarding Microwave, The Department Of Posts and Telegraphs were the only ones allowed operate them. Not even RTÉ had its own independent microwave network."

Why were the Department of Posts and Telegraphs so fearful of anyone else (even other Government departments/agencies) getting their hands on this technology ?

I know these were crazy times when one wasn't even allowed have a telephone answering machine without written permission from the minister for post and telegraphs meanwhile CB and pirate radio operators were running riot ?

Advertisement