Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to the subjects you usually teach in new timetable.

Options
  • 22-08-2015 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

A teacher I know who taught the same subjects for 20 years,(in one school for 15 years and in another school for 5 years),got her timetable yesterday and finds that ,without any consultation whatsoever,she has 'new' subjects and is moved to another area of the school where she now has to share many different rooms with many different teachers.In my opinion this is a total change to someones work circumstances,and not to be told about it is rather more sickening. She did have her own room before this and would be a more senior member of staff.What message can be taken from this and furthermore what redress is available.She has contacted her union but as yet they have not got back to her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

What is actually the problem the change of subject or not having their own classroom.? From your post the rooms seems a bigger issue. When they changed schools they changed room which was a "total change to work conditions".

The room is irrelevant to me personally and in my option should be to your friend.

The big problem is potentially teaching something they are not qualified in? Or are they also qualified in that just not done it in 20 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Has she spoken to any of her colleagues in relation to the rooms?
    Is could be the mgt have decided to move away from giving teachers set rooms and are moving most/all/some of the teachers around this year.

Is the new subject(s) just a couple of classes? or a good portion of the timetable? Did you school lose at teacher due to numbers? Did anyone take sick leave suddenly that might have caused this change with no notice. Find out all the facts before deciding what next - maybe speak to the principal and try and get some info - its bad form they didn't contact you but sometimes it happens. You didn't get a missed call or away with no phone coverage the last few weeks... have seen this happen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

1. It's bad form on the part of the school's management not to consult with the teacher about whether he/she wants to teach that actual subject. Leaving aside the kids who would benefit from somebody teaching a subject he/she wants to teach, it's also not smart management to impose this on a teacher when consultation is available. Brewing up a storm there.

2. I once had to move around from class to class like a spailpín. It's a recipe for poor classroom management (especially when you're trying to fit 30 students in a science lab with 24 seats) and an unsatisfied teacher. It also reduces the actual teaching time, the ability to use resources on the wall or the ability to use technology specific to your room. Giving teachers a stability regarding their conditions of employment is, in my view, fundamental.

This sort of change in working conditions would never happen in my school without consultation. Even when other teachers use the room the management always ask the relevant teacher if it's OK (which they don't have to do of course, but it's just smart to do it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

trihead wrote: »
    Is could be the mgt have decided to move away from giving teachers set rooms and are moving most/all/some of the teachers around this year.

Is this some sort of new fashion among school management inspired by some JMB/ETB etc conference? If so, what's the thinking behind it? (my walls are plastered with resources that are integral to learning and its reinforcement.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Ultimately I don't think there's anything can be done about it. Personally I think it's very bad form not to at least inform the teacher in advance by phone call - particularly if it's a long standing member of staff and this type of change is unprecedented in the school. That would just be common courtesy imo. It sounds like a recipe for creating unhappiness and resentment which can only have a negative impact on the school itself.

It has happened in my school a few times. Teachers have suddenly lost most of their classes and been given lots of "filler" subjects, one was moved entirely to teaching FETAC without any discussion, post duties have also been suddenly changed dramatically without consultation or discussion. Unsurprisingly, my school is an unhappy place to work with very low morale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Is this some sort of new fashion among school management inspired by some JMB/ETB etc conference? If so, what's the thinking behind it? (my walls are plastered with resources that are integral to learning and its reinforcement.)

I don't know about that but I have heard that it can make it easier to timetable when you have access to all rooms and teachers at any time. If teachers are set in some rooms it can me more difficult. I think this is being decided purely on the logistics not considering teaching & learning:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

gaiscioch wrote: »

2. I once had to move around from class to class like a spailpín. It's a recipe for poor classroom management (especially when you're trying to fit 30 students in a science lab with 24 seats) and an unsatisfied teacher. It also reduces the actual teaching time, the ability to use resources on the wall or the ability to use technology specific to your room. Giving teachers a stability regarding their conditions of employment is, in my view, fundamental.

For many teachers it's the norm. I've been on the move for the twenty years I've been in my present job.

Advertisement