Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Rental Spain

Options
  • 02-04-2015 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, hoping somebody can help me out here.

I've booked a car for the 1st time ever for 3 days in Spain with holidayautos for about 150 euro, now I'm trying figure out what happens when I get there with extra charges like insurance.

Included in the cost is a Collision Damage Waiver, does this mean I wont have to pay an excess at the desk?

"Your car will be provided with a full tank of fuel for which you will need to leave a deposit at the rental desk. Upon return of the car you will be refunded for the unused fuel and charged an admin fee. Please find the fuel admin fee charge in the above paragraph. The admin fee is non-refundable regardless of the amount of fuel upon return."

I understand the petrol charge, but what is the Admin fee about? and if its unavoidable why not just add it to the total price of the car?

"Collision damage waiver (CDW): Includes 21% tax; Excess 900 EUR

Theft waiver (TW): Includes 21% tax

Third party liability protection (TP): Includes 21% tax; Maximum Coverage 50,000,000 EUR

You may be held responsible for damage to or loss of tyres, windscreens, glass and undercarriage. Please check with the car rental agent on arrival.

If you purchase the Excess Reimbursement Insurance from a third party, the credit card holder will be required to present his/ her credit card at the rental desk in order for the car rental agent to authorize the deposit.
    "

I'm lost here, what is Excess Reimbursement Insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What amount roughly is the excess?

But CDW is included in my price free?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If its your first time out in Spain or on the other side of the road, I'd opt for as much insurance as possible unless you have purchased a separate policy for rental cars. The Spanish and Italians in my opinion drive the hardest, the ain't afraid to get up close or even touch. And certainly around the narrow streets and cities, you're likely to get a scruff, scratch or scrape even if you are very careful. The rental agencies know this and they'll usually give a car a good look over when you bring it back.

On an entirely separate note, you didn't mention where you are going in Spain, but keep a good eye out when you leave the airport and as you drive around. Its not uncommon for tourists to be followed and for a gang of lads to either offer help or start pointing saying you have a flat tyre. You pull over and before you know it, your bag etc is gone. Same applies if you drive off from a location and the air has been let out of your tyre. Its frighteningly common in Barcelona and Malaga. Additionally, if you park up, don't leave anything in the car. Most rental cars are covered in bar codes and stickers, its literally wrapping for any potential thieves.

OSI wrote: »
    Yes, in most places it's mandatory. It's just their name for insurance. You can't drive without insurance so CDW is included.

So I dont understand why I'd be paying extra if it already states CDW is free?

And I've seen comments elsewhere saying you pay extra for insurance to reduce the excess to zero? does this sound right?

ironclaw wrote: »
    If its your first time out in Spain or on the other side of the road, I'd opt for as much insurance as possible unless you have purchased a separate policy for rental cars. The Spanish and Italians in my opinion drive the hardest, the ain't afraid to get up close or even touch. And certainly around the narrow streets and cities, you're likely to get a scruff, scratch or scrape even if you are very careful. The rental agencies know this and they'll usually give a car a good look over when you bring it back.

On an entirely separate note, you didn't mention where you are going in Spain, but keep a good eye out when you leave the airport and as you drive around. Its not uncommon for tourists to be followed and for a gang of lads to either offer help or start pointing saying you have a flat tyre. You pull over and before you know it, your bag etc is gone. Same applies if you drive off from a location and the air has been let out of your tyre. Its frighteningly common in Barcelona and Malaga. Additionally, if you park up, don't leave anything in the car. Most rental cars are covered in bar codes and stickers, its literally wrapping for any potential thieves.

Appreciate the advice, I will be vigilant.

I'm flying to Palma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alot of people take out extra insurance to protect them against the amount of the excess on the policy. In other words in the event of a claim or damage caused by yourself you are fully covered including the cost of any excess on the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

So I dont understand why I'd be paying extra if it already states CDW is free?

And I've seen comments elsewhere saying you pay extra for insurance to reduce the excess to zero? does this sound right?

CDW is insurance which is pretty much equivalent of comprehensive car cover you have at home on your own car.
    There is excess associated with it, and in car rental they tell you the excess is 900 euro
    So if something goes wrong and there is an accident, you pay the excess (900) and they pay the rest.
    That's in short how insurance works.

If you want to get rid of this excess, you can pay extra to rental company when picking up the car (that's usually between 10 and 20 euro per day). Then there won't be any excess in case you crash. They might still ask you though to leave deposit for damage not covered by insurance (like tyres, glass, undercarriage) or for fuel. This deposit will be in form of preauth on your credit card.

If you don't decide to go for extra cover to reduce excess to 0, they will charge you fill deposit upon renting of 900 or possibly more again in form of preauth on your credit card. If nothing happens though this money wont' be charged though (just preauthorised).

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

A number of companies offer the Excess insurance for a yearly or daily premium. I have mine through AIG for €50 per year for anywhere in Europe (US and over there do not include CDW so costs extra for that), as I would use rentals on and off and the last rental was €200 at the desk to reduce the excess for the week!!
    Basically if there is an issue and the Excess is to be paid (regardless of whose fault it was, the rental companies dont care!!) you should get that back from your Excess insurance.

Worth looking into as it is quite inexpensive.

Ok guys,

Thanks for the input, Ultimately I'm trying to avoid having a 900 euro hold on my CC as I'll need to contact the bank to increase it, Is the 900 excess, the value the will Pre auth?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just call the rental company. Even with other rentals, they always pre-authorise to some extent. Hertz in the US was $250 last time even with all insurances and waivers accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Check the car fully when you are collecting it. Note ANY damage and point it oit to the rental agent. If the agent is a 10 minute walk back into the airport, take photos of the damage, in the parking spot and email them to yourself. This will timestamp and show location. A scratch can cost alot and there is usually some very minor damage, which I always note. That way, i can't be given any shît when I return the car. €150 for 3 days is a little pricey for the 3 days. I usually pay less in spain for a full week for the like of a polo, or similar. Alicante normally.

Ended up getting a upgrade to a new Mercedes A Class free of change due to lack of what I ordered and no mention of any hold on my Credit card, He just used it to take the insurance.

Dropped it off this morning, all in all a very good experience, thanks for the help here.

Advertisement