Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare want letter stating "Fit for work"

Options
  • 06-11-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

I'm posting this on behalf of a close friend looking for info.

Basically, as far as I'm aware they have applied for Disability Allowance - I gather that the waiting times can run into a few months - so at the moment they're just waiting to hear back regarding their application and have the medical etc...

They have been getting Jobseekers Allowance in the meantime.

They recently injured themselves and as a result they were laid up for a number of weeks - and as such missing a signing on day and they were not able to collect their money from their local post office - and obviously they could not assign a family member to collect it on their behalf.

They are now finally out and about walking again and are fit to go to the post office etc... Unfortunately, whilst they were laid up their money was cut off and their Jobseekers claim closed - which was to be expected.

When they went to their local office to activate their claim again and hopefully recover the back money they were told they would have to make a new claim.

When they went to do this they brought along a certified letter from their Doctor explaining the injury and hence the reason they missed their sign on date and failed to collect their payments.

The officer there however told them that they would need to get a new letter from their Doctor explicitly stating that they are "Fit for work".

The problem is, they are now worried that if they get a letter from their doctor stating that they are "Fit for work" (In respective to their injury which has now healed) that this will prejudice their Disability claim (Which is being sought for an entirely different matter - no correlation to their recent injury).

How should they proceed? From what I gather if they don't get a letter from their Doctor stating they are fit for work, they will not be able to have their Jobseekers claim reopened - they currently have no income whatsoever and things are understandably very tight.

On the other hand, if the doctor issues this letter, will this interfere with their Disability claim - Will SW turn around in a few months time saying that "Oh, but your Doctor stated 6 months ago that you WERE fit for work" to them?

It seems like a Catch-22 situation to me. I honestly do not know how to advise them on this matter.

Is there another payment they can apply for in the interim til they hear back about their Disability claim which isn't Jobseekers, and therefore would not need to be deemed fit to work by a Doctor?

Is there a different kind of payment scheme in place for people who are awaiting Disability?

I haven't got a clue on these matters and really don't know what to tell them, and obviously they want to make sure everything is 100% above board.

Any input at all greatly appreciated,

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

They can go to their Community Welfare Officer in the interim and claim Supplementary Welfare Allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

your friend was not "fit for work" while injured and unable to sign on or collect payment at the PO, so was not entitled to JSA during that period. In light of your friends claim for DA and the recent injury, I think the best course of action is to go to the CWO and make a claim for SWA.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/supplementary_welfare_allow.html
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/ContactUs/Pages/cwo_contact.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

That's great, thanks for the info. I'll pass the news on.

I'm not sure how long it's been since they've applied for DA - but I reckon it's probably within the past 3/4 months or so - and from what I've been reading on here - it can take anything from 12-18 months to hear back regarding DA - so in theory this person could possibly be on SA for say 10 months or so - can you get a SA payment for long term as in 10 months, or is it more of a temporary payment to get by until you're put on something more suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

as far as i remember you will get SWA until u get on another payment then then will deduct amount paid by SWA from whatever payment you get.

Advertisement