Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

7 seater SUV Options

Options
  • 26-06-2015 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some advice. I need to buy 7 seater for space plus seats for kids etc. I was thinking of going new but thinking it might be better to go second hand and reduce my budget. I was looking at about 30k new but very few available in 7 seater at that price.

Finding it very hard to figure out what is good/bad etc. I will probably look to keep for 4-5 years so looking for something which is reliable. I have a bad back so not looking at car option. Also don't want to look at start people carriers(VW Touran, Ford SMAX etc)

My mileage is actually not huge. Mostly run around in Dublin with the odd trip outside Dublin. So have not ruled out petrol but most SUV's seem to be diesel.

So far I have come up with following:
    Audi Q7 - I love Audi's but these are very hard to find and most seem to have huge mileage
    Hyundai Santa Fe - Seems to be a good few on road but have heard there is some issues around reliability
    Volvo XC90 - Not many available
    Kia Sorento - Don't know much about these, just seen a few on road
    BMX X5 - think there is 7 seater model but heard horror stories about them with loads of issues
    VW Touareg - seems to be limited supply
    Nissan Qashqai +2 - Seems good value
    Land Rover Defender - Most sites seem to suggest they are not great but give no details as to why

I don't mind too much about what year but trying to keep tax down if possible. I know hard in these type of vehicles.

Just wondering is there other options. I am looking at around 20k budget. No trade in.

Any recommendations?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I was doing research on this (7 seaters) and found that VW touran was one of the best. The likes of Sorento and Santa fe were next in line. Forget about the premium brands as they cost a lot to run and maintain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Mc Love wrote: »
    I was doing research on this (7 seaters) and found that VW touran was one of the best. The likes of Sorento and Santa fe were next in line. Forget about the premium brands as they cost a lot to run and maintain.

I test drove a touran and didn't like it....thanks for advice

Pulling this back up. I am still looking around and seen the Mitsubishi Outlander 7 seater, anyone know much about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

I know this is absolutely not what you are looking for but I thought I would share for anyone else reading the thread - In last couple of weeks, we test drove a 2.0 TCDi S-MAX, a Mazda 5, a Qashqai, 5008 (and a couple of other cars that sales guys suggested), and while 5008 is a lovely 7 seater and drives reasonably well for a 1.6 diesel engine. (we thought it was better than S-Max, perhaps the S-Max we drove had seen better days). Qashqai is rather nice too.

We ended up picking up a rather inexpensive Honda FRV with view to buying something reasonably new in a year or two - FRV suits our needs (mostly in-town, daily school runs, motorway trips once a week or less) extremely well. Kids love it compared to the low-riding Honda Accord, and overall layout and seat arrangement is superbly practical. Also impressed with the smooth free revving petrol engine, and the overall quality of what is now an inexpensive car. It's such a shame that Honda isn't selling any 6-7 seaters for UK/Ireland markets anymore!!

positron wrote: »
    I know this is absolutely not what you are looking for but I thought I would share for anyone else reading the thread - In last couple of weeks, we test drove a 2.0 TCDi S-MAX, a Mazda 5, a Qashqai, 5008 (and a couple of other cars that sales guys suggested), and while 5008 is a lovely 7 seater and drives reasonably well for a 1.6 diesel engine. (we thought it was better than S-Max, perhaps the S-Max we drove had seen better days). Qashqai is rather nice too.

We ended up picking up a rather inexpensive Honda FRV with view to buying something reasonably new in a year or two - FRV suits our needs (mostly in-town, daily school runs, motorway trips once a week or less) extremely well. Kids love it compared to the low-riding Honda Accord, and overall layout and seat arrangement is superbly practical. Also impressed with the smooth free revving petrol engine, and the overall quality of what is now an inexpensive car. It's such a shame that Honda isn't selling any 6-7 seaters for UK/Ireland markets anymore!!

Thanks for info. I looked at FRV but a bit old and the mileage is a bit on high side. I was looking to buy something fairly new with low mileage so I don't need to change for a long time. 5-6 years.

Since I put up original post I have:
    Looked at Honda CRV but no 7 seater option
    Test drove a Qashqai+2 and liked it. It was base model and would need a higher spec
    Looked at Citroen Grand Picasso: Didn't not like
    Test drove my friends Peugeot 5008 and like it. A lot more than the Citroen
    Looked at a brand new Santa Fei and was surprised by how uncomfortable they are. Even the leather model was very poor. SO kind of rules that out....
    Looked at New X-Trail: This is my number 1 at the moment.

It is only when I started to look that I started to see how good the Qashqai is. Driving it for 3 years and I always picked it faults but it actually is great car, just need 7 seats

So the Qashqai+2 or X-Trail look to be a runner. Just need to up budget for X-Trail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

X-Trail is indeed the new Qashqai+2, but looking at in the showroom we thought the rear seats were way too small - the seats themselves were fine but there was no foot-well to speak off, so we got the impression that it would only fit preschool age kids comfortably (with the height of the booster/group 1/2 seats creating some space). Probably not an issue if you don't plan on using the third row often.

positron wrote: »
    X-Trail is indeed the new Qashqai+2, but looking at in the showroom we thought the rear seats were way too small - the seats themselves were fine but there was no foot-well to speak off, so we got the impression that it would only fit preschool age kids comfortably (with the height of the booster/group 1/2 seats creating some space). Probably not an issue if you don't plan on using the third row often.

Most of these types of vehicles the back 3rd row seats are quite small.....any of them I have looked at

To get decent size the S-MAX or Alahmabra seems to be the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GenGenie

<This forum doesn't allow you promoting your car for sale. Please use the PM function to contact OP.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

What about a Renault Grand Scenic MPV? 7 seats, 3rd row isn't too small. Here's an example of a 2014 one: http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/renault/grand-scenic/used-2014-141-renault-grand-scenic-1-wexford-fpa-143314237466572810.

2015's can be picked up for about €30k, 2014's about €22/23k.

Avada wrote: »
    What about a Renault Grand Scenic MPV? 7 seats, 3rd row isn't too small. Here's an example of a 2014 one: http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/renault/grand-scenic/used-2014-141-renault-grand-scenic-1-wexford-fpa-143314237466572810.

2015's can be picked up for about €30k, 2014's about €22/23k.

is there not issues around reliability with the Renault? So I have heard and quick check on website has the below

Reliability & safety

3.2 / 5

Reliability isn’t a Renault Grand Scenic strong point, but safety is, with a top Euro NCAP crash-test rating and plenty of reassuring features

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭BnB

If you are looking for a 7 seater, we have an S-Max which is a great family car. The back row of seats are fairly small but would be grand for any kids up to the age of 11 or 12. Also, with the back two seats up, you still have a fairly decent boot (Compared to other 7 seaters). If you are only using the back two seats occasionally and you can leave them down, you have an enormous boot with them down.

If you have your heart set on an SUV, (which I kind of have myself too if I could afford to change), I'd nearly agree with all of what what you said.

The luxury brands look great, but they are bloody expensive to buy and very expensive if anything goes wrong. For example, to get a Landrover Discovery 4 , you are talking around €40,000 for a 2010. That's a lot of money for a 5 year old jeep.

Similarly, the earliest of the 7 seater X5s will cost you €20,000 Minimum for a 2008. Again, a lot of money for an 7 year old car.

You could pick up a 2010 Volvo XC90 for about €25,000, but that is a very old design (Around since 03) The new XC90 came out only this year and while it looks lovely and has got some great reviews, it's gonna cost you about €70,000.

For what you want and around your budget, it's hard to see past the X-Trail. The Mitsubishi Outlander is an option too but I think the X-Trail is a better car and will hold it's value over the years better than the Outlander.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Would you go 7 seater estate instead of SUV, something like this http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Mercedes-Benz/E-Class/220-Cdi/171114338414539780/

Oops just seen the budget is 20k for used car, there's literally none for sale in the county between 10 and 30k it might be worth putting your name down with Mercedes or save 10k and get something like this

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Mercedes-Benz/E-Class/E200-ELEGANCE/170214345391111130/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

How does the boot size of the new xtrail work out with the 7 seats in use? I like it too but it looks like a compact suv crossover? For that reason I'm think of succumbing to a people carrier but I would definitely prefer a sorrento or xtrail!

How does the boot size of the new xtrail work out with the 7 seats in use? I like it too but it looks like a compact suv crossover? For that reason I'm think of succumbing to a people carrier but I would definitely prefer a sorrento or xtrail!

Had to bring in Qashqai for check up yesterday and had another look at the X-Trail. They are lovely looking but it was the top of the range 39k model.

The seats in the back leave little or no boot space. Also it looked to be a little tight on space once the 7 seats are used. Really would only be using for the small kids. Would need to proper test drive and throw a couple of car seats etc into it and then gauge the space in back properly. I use the Axiss and they are a beast of a seat

Garage also sold Hyundai so looked at Santa Fei and a bit more room in the back for the additional 2 seats. Also a little bit more room in boot when all 7 seats in place. Would again need to fire in car seat and check it out.

I would guess the Sorento is just the Kia version of the Santa fei so would expect the same size with all 7 seats up.

The Santa Fei is more expensive but a little bit bigger looking from the naked eye. Would need to check exact spec's.

Would you go 7 seater estate instead of SUV, something like this http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Mercedes-Benz/E-Class/220-Cdi/171114338414539780/

Oops just seen the budget is 20k for used car, there's literally none for sale in the county between 10 and 30k it might be worth putting your name down with Mercedes or save 10k and get something like this

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Mercedes-Benz/E-Class/E200-ELEGANCE/170214345391111130/

Never knew there was a 7 seater car version to be honest. Could be worth a check. Budget at the moment is moving :) moving closer to the 30k at present if I want to stick with SUV/Crossover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Never knew there was a 7 seater car version to be honest. Could be worth a check. Budget at the moment is moving :) moving closer to the 30k at present if I want to stick with SUV/Crossover.

I'd always go for an estate over a saloon, but that merc in black is a fecking hearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What about the Toyota Prius+:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Prius/HYBRID-4DR/201514376623119020/

Hybrid which is more suitable to urban driving than any diesel and the Prius is very reliable, these cars rack up serious mileage as taxis without issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd always go for an estate over a saloon, but that merc in black is a fecking hearse.

I dunno, this one looks a little meaner than a herse, http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Mercedes-Benz/E-Class/3.0-E/93214132792537060/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Had to bring in Qashqai for check up yesterday and had another look at the X-Trail. They are lovely looking but it was the top of the range 39k model.

The seats in the back leave little or no boot space. Also it looked to be a little tight on space once the 7 seats are used. Really would only be using for the small kids. Would need to proper test drive and throw a couple of car seats etc into it and then gauge the space in back properly. I use the Axiss and they are a beast of a seat

Garage also sold Hyundai so looked at Santa Fei and a bit more room in the back for the additional 2 seats. Also a little bit more room in boot when all 7 seats in place. Would again need to fire in car seat and check it out.

I would guess the Sorento is just the Kia version of the Santa fei so would expect the same size with all 7 seats up.

The Santa Fei is more expensive but a little bit bigger looking from the naked eye. Would need to check exact spec's.

The Kia Sorento is newer than the Santa fe do as it has been out a couple of years now where as the Sorento was only launched this year. It is also a better looking car and probably equipped a bit better than the Hyundai to.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Have a look at a mitsubishi outlander, fab car 8 year warranty. Low tax and not a bit thirsty!

• Advertisement

now online wrote: »
    Have a look at a mitsubishi outlander, fab car 8 year warranty. Low tax and not a bit thirsty!

Thanks for feedback, is it 5 or 7 seater version?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Thanks for feedback, is it 5 or 7 seater version?

I have the 5 seater but it can be got in7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

is there not issues around reliability with the Renault? So I have heard and quick check on website has the below

Reliability & safety

3.2 / 5

Reliability isn’t a Renault Grand Scenic strong point, but safety is, with a top Euro NCAP crash-test rating and plenty of reassuring features

Your Qashqai is a Scenic in drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

now online wrote: »

If you are going to buy an Outlander make sure you get a good deal as there is a revamped version out next month and it looks much better. That being said the current car is a good car and good looking too and if you get a really good deal then even better. Just let the dealer know that you know there is a revamped version out next month.
    Or you could just wait and check out the revamped version and decide then.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

AMKC wrote: »
    If you are going to buy an Outlander make sure you get a good deal as there is a revamped version out next month and it looks much better. That being said the current car is a good car and good looking too and if you get a really good deal then even better. Just let the dealer know that you know there is a revamped version out next month.
    Or you could just wait and check out the revamped version and decide then.

Didn't realise there was one on the way. That's a massive improvement. Hope they did the same to the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mitsubishi interiors and general designs are about a decade behind everyone else these days.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Mitsubishi interiors and general designs are about a decade behind everyone else these days.

That would be my main concern, I dont really mind what a car looks like from outside once the inside is good. I have to sit inside it and not outside looking at it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DUBLIN 16

Hi can anyone advised on where to look
    have a budget of aprox 14000

Advertisement