Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saab 93 will only start with a tow

• 28-08-2015 10:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

The other day my saab 93 would not start, i had it towed and then it started, it started again the next morning no bother but that evening it wouldnt start again, i replaced the battery and it still wouldnt start, this morning i had it towed again and it started, what would be the issue here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Is it turning over? Alternator maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,432 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Starter motor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Starter motor is sticking. Why/Who suggested replacing the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

Describe exactly what happens and what it sounds like when you turn the key

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Describe exactly what happens and what it sounds like when you turn the key

the key is turning but the car is just not kicking, just turning over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

you need to be more clear.

When you tun the key does the engine go around, is the engine rotating?

NO idea what just not kicking or just turning over means. Then we can help.

you need to be more clear.

When you tun the key does the engine go around, is the engine rotating?

NO idea what just not kicking or just turning over means. Then we can help.

you know when you go to start a car and it doesnt kick in, i dont know if the engine is rotating but the ignition is turning over but the engine is not firing up to start if you know what i mean, its like if your car is out of juice the ignition just turns over but doesnt start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok so starter motor runs but engine doesn't fire.
    Sounds like the cylinders aren't get the right mix of fuel/air/spark.
    I'd start by checking sparks.

biko wrote: »
    Ok so starter motor runs but engine doesn't fire.
    Sounds like the cylinders aren't get the right mix of fuel/air/spark.
    I'd start by checking sparks.

thanks i will check that, if it is the case would it be a big job/cost much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

It's kind of important to state which engine is in your car before anyone can give you any worthwhile advice.

• Advertisement

Guys. Don't get too anal about it. If he says that the engine is turning over, I think it's fair to assume that the battery is good, and the starter motor is engaging. So, either No fuel, or No spark. My bet is no Fuel. I had a 1996 900 ) beautiful car) back in the day. And believe it or not, the fuel pump failed one day, and had to be replaced.€700 as I recall. But this guy starts on a push/tow, therefore, fuel pump must be ok. Strange problem. Maybe a HT coil problem ?

Good point George. Most of the 900s were petrol. Most of the 93s were diesel. A huge difference in the technicalities. Jazzer. 1. Is it petrol or diesel ? And 2. Is there any of it in the tank ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Good point George. Most of the 900s were petrol. Most of the 93s were diesel. A huge difference in the technicalities. Jazzer. 1. Is it petrol or diesel ? And 2. Is there any of it in the tank ?

If there was nothing in the tank it wouldn't go on a tow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Did it start away for a little while immediately after replacing the battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

My guess is the starter is not engaging. If the engine was turning it would start (is it does when towed)

Op can you get someone to look under bonnet while you crank engine to determine if it's actually turning engine?

You should see bits rotating if the engine is actually turning

apparently there was air getting in through the filters or something if that makes sense? they were plugged and it seems to be ok now?

What filters?

What engine/model/fuel type is car?

saab 93 linear 2003 diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RAIMEIS

Hello,

I have a 9-3 myself from 2000 and got the very same situation except:

- I own a real SAAB i.e. it is a petrol one, diesel ones are ****e and will give you cancer sooner or later,
    - I left the car on the side road and came back the morning after, it started!
    - Since then I am a bit wary but as other people said here it is the starter, if you have a rubber hammer, use it gently several times on the starter and it should unblock it.

jezzer, what filters? Fuel filter?
    Is it fixed now? If so how?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

2.2 diesel notorious for air leak throughl injector seals and seal on fuel filter,

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    2.2 diesel notorious for air leak throughl injector seals and seal on fuel filter,

Yes thats exactly what the mechanic said, he sealed those and its starting fine now, however, also, the engine light was coming on if i held the accelerator at a steady speed and it would go into limp mode, the mechanic hooked it up to the computer and i think he said some sensor needed replacing, he replaced it but the problem came back this morning, it seems to be an acceleration issue, if i keep the car at a steady speed the engine light comes on and it goes into limp mode, any ideas why this is happening?

jezzer wrote: »
    apparently there was air getting in through the filters or something if that makes sense? they were plugged and it seems to be ok now?

Jazzer. Your posts are so technically naive, and uninformed - I have decided you are taking the p1ss. E.g. Your above post dosent make sense. Filters are designed to let air get through. So " air getting through the filters" OR "something". Which was it ?

"They plugged it" ?.. The plugged what ?
    How do you "plug" a filter anyway ?

Jazzer. Your posts are so technically naive, and uninformed - I have decided you are taking the p1ss. E.g. Your above post dosent make sense. Filters are designed to let air get through. So " air getting through the filters" OR "something". Which was it ?

"They plugged it" ?.. The plugged what ?
    How do you "plug" a filter anyway ?

How the eff do i know, i'm not a mechanic, if i was do you think i would be here listening to sh*te from you? fool

Gentlemen, gentlemen, you can't fight here - this is the War Room! Jezzer, was the mechanic talking about a vacuum leak somewhere between the air senor (MAP or MAF) and the inlet manifold? That'd cause misfiring, poor running, power loss to some degree and MIL illumination. It would indeed need to be "plugged", that is sealed somehow, possibly involving replacement of a section of hose.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Gentlemen, gentlemen, you can't fight here - this is the War Room! Jezzer, was the mechanic talking about a vacuum leak somewhere between the air senor (MAP or MAF) and the inlet manifold? That'd cause misfiring, poor running, power loss to some degree and MIL illumination. It would indeed need to be "plugged", that is sealed somehow, possibly involving replacement of a section of hose.

thank you, in relation to the engine light coming on, he said when he plugged the car into the diagnostics it came up that there was some issue with the acceleration and he changed some sensor but the issue is still there whereby if i keep at an exact steady speed such as 100 km per hour the engine light comes on and it goes into limp mode so to stop that happening i have to keep putting my foot on the accelerator then take it off and so on, apologies for my lack of technical knowledge but that is why i am here to try and learn from people who do know!

thank you, in relation to the engine light coming on, he said when he plugged the car into the diagnostics it came up that there was some issue with the acceleration and he changed some sensor but the issue is still there whereby if i keep at an exact steady speed such as 100 km per hour the engine light comes on and it goes into limp mode so to stop that happening i have to keep putting my foot on the accelerator then take it off and so on, apologies for my lack of technical knowledge but that is why i am here to try and learn from people who do know!

FYI, most cars have a throttle position sensor, which is usually some sort of potentiometer that feeds the pedal position back to the ECU. This might be worn or faulty, but obviously it's hard to say from here.

FYI, most cars have a throttle position sensor, which is usually some sort of potentiometer that feeds the pedal position back to the ECU. This might be worn or faulty, but obviously it's hard to say from here.

sure thing, i appreciate that, i have a reading coming up on the dash saying ECU not programmed, would this be related to this issue potentially?

sure thing, i appreciate that, i have a reading coming up on the dash saying ECU not programmed, would this be related to this issue potentially?

That sounds more to do with the key/immobiliser setup. Touch of Alzheimer's since the battery was disconnected, maybe. It might sort itself out after a few startup/drive/shutdown cycles.

• Advertisement

That sounds more to do with the key/immobiliser setup. Touch of Alzheimer's since the battery was disconnected, maybe. It might sort itself out after a few startup/drive/shutdown cycles.

thanks, my main issue anyway is that i cant keep the accelerator steady without the car going into limp mode

Ok. Ok. Apologies for the earlier un-civil post. Totally uncalled for. As I try to instil in my own kids, " if you've nothing nice to say, then say nothing's ". I should practice what I preach. It's good to be a member of a forum that is well moderated.
    Once again, apologies.

Advertisement