Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Notice from Gardai re sold vehicle

• 07-04-2015 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey guys. Apologies for the vague title. Couldnt think of anything else. I sold a car on 25th March and got a letter today from the Gardai that "my vehicle" was detained and removed on 27th march under Article 4 of the road traffic act (section 41) regulations 1995.

I am immensely worried as I have already sold it and still got the letter. I took a picture of the change of ownership part of the log book and along with the post office receipt, I went over to the Garda station. I was told that the Garda who removed the vehicle would get in touch with me.

I dont know what offense the owner made. At the time of selling (I sold it over on donedeal) I explicitly mentioned that the road tax was out for one month and the vehicle had recently failed the NCT. I even posted the NCT refusal letter on donedeal.

My first time visiting a garda station for an offense which I didn't make. Now I am worried about court summons and a tainted image. I am not Irish and working here full time. I dont want to get involved in legal procedures.

Do you guys suggest anything I should do now? I am thinking of formally writing to the gardai to clear up the confusion.

Should I also worry about penalty points on my license as apparently they still consider me as the owner of the vehicle.

And I tried to check if its still on my name by recovering a pin on motortax.ie but it didnt let me which I consider a good sign that the ownership has changed. The logbook was also received on 26th march by driver and vehicle computerized division.

Would appreciate you guys help and suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Stop panicking. It'll be noted that you sold the car two days before the offence, and the new owner's name and address, and all the attention will turn to him.

Call down to your local garda station, bring the letter and have a chat with them. They'll put your mind at rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Wait for the Garda who removed the vehicle to get back to you. You should then tell him who you sold the car to. Did you submit the tranfer cert to Shannon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Relax, enjoy the sunshine. Shouldn't be a major problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kayser wrote: »
    And I tried to check if its still on my name by recovering a pin on motortax.ie but it didnt let me which I consider a good sign that the ownership has changed. The logbook was also received on 26th march by driver and vehicle computerized division.
    Stick the reg in here:
    https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/pseVehicleSearch.do

That'll tell you whether the change has been processed.

And like others say, stop worrying. You have documentation that proves the vehicle wasn't yours at the time, so you can't get into trouble for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭kayser

Thanks guys. I did go to the Garda station today and submitted the copy of post office receipt and last page of the change of ownership. But the guy, who was very nice told me that they will get back to me.

And thanks for prompt replies. I will get back to completing installation of a shiny double din in my new car. Cheers mates.

• Advertisement

Wait for the Garda who removed the vehicle to get back to you. You should then tell him who you sold the car to. Did you submit the tranfer cert to Shannon?

Cheers. I am also going to write to him so that its official.
    I did submit the transfer cert to Shannon and it was received the day before the vehicle was impounded.

seamus wrote: »
    Stick the reg in here:

That'll tell you whether the change has been processed.

And like others say, stop worrying. You have documentation that proves the vehicle wasn't yours at the time, so you can't get into trouble for this.

Perfect :) Just checked the link, it says:

Transferred to an Individual on :23/03/2015
    Notified on : 26/03/2015
    Most recent Vehicle Registration Certificate issued on : 31/03/2015

Advertisement