Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance, 6 months of bank statements query

Options
  • 05-11-2011 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been on rent allowance for a few years now, I am a single mum, I got a letter last September from Rent Allowance saying I need to get my landlord to reduce my rent or find cheaper accomodation...landlord would not reduce rent so I went looking for a new home...two months later I find somewhere thats suitable...

So I was told I need to ring some number in Dublin and ask for a Rent Package, and have to reapply for rent allowance again...I got the rent package a few days ago and part of what I have to post back is 6 months of bank statements.

I've been trying to ring the Dublin number again to ask them this question but it took me 2 weeks of ringing them non-stop to even get through to them in the first place, so I thought I'd pick some brains on here in the meantime...

-For what reasons do they need previous 6 months of my bank statements?

-I was hoping to get my rent allowance paid into my TSB bank account this time as I am shutting down my BOI account (BOI have been my main bank a/c for years)...In the rent package there is also a form asking for my bank details for where you want your rent allowance to be paid into...I want to put my TSB a/c on this form (I have used TSB for about a year now but not for much bills etc)...just wondering if the a/c written on this form needs to be the one you supply the last 6 months of bank statements for?

-If the 6 months of bank statements is for them to see you pay your rent for the last few months then the full rent amount doesnt always get paid through my bank a/c every month...for example I pay 850 per month rent for the past year...but the last few months it shows 800 being paid to my landlord...the remaining 50 as I paid for paint, chimney cleaning, living room stove fitted etc as my landlord is always away and we agreed this suits us both so I can get things done asap instead of waiting for him to be in the area! (I have been living here for three years and he is a nice person, so he was'nt copping out on his landlord duties or anything!)

-Also quick question on the Habitual Residence Form...I'm a bit confused on how to fill out nearly all the questions...I think its more aimed at people who have ever lived outside Ireland...no options for someone like me (born bread and never lived outside Ireland) to put this in...(mainly from page 5 onwards , see below...confused!)

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Forms/Documents/hrc1.pdf

I understand I am asking alot of questions here, I am after researching for answers already but obviously to no avail :)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Rent Allowance is a means tested payment so they need your bank statement as proof of any income etc. If you have 2 bank accounts, they will require bank statements for both.
    Fill out HRC form as best you can. You need to answer all questions required even if you feel they are not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks cee jay...i have filled out the form as best i can i guess im just worried about sending it in and it taking them forever to get back to me if i didnt fill it in properly....then it taking even longer for the rent allowance to be transferred from one address to another...

the same with the bank statements...i have nothing to hide i can send in whatever they want...but i want to make sure they wont get the statements then think "why is 800 coming out of the account when she pays 850 rent?" so it'll take forever for them to get back to me and for it all to be sorted...when I could do the right thing in the first place and not have to have delays!

I can afford the deposit but cant afford to cover rent without the allowance & my potential new landlord has said he wont let me move in on the 1st Dec without both.
    It may seem stupid to some to be worrying about something i cant control (ie: when my payment comes through) but if i can stop any more delays ill worry less!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

put copies of the 2 bank statements in with the application.

i think the 800 with be questioned if you have 850 on a previous form because when they look at the rent entitlement it wont be the same as what is coming out of your bank account.
    your rent is really 800 then not 850
    tell them what you have been paying for but they might ring landlord. wouldnt worry too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My rent is 850 , it will show on this month as 850, just a few of the summer months will be 800 as landlord was away alot and i paid for things for the house

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

helloJ wrote: »
    My rent is 850 , it will show on this month as 850, just a few of the summer months will be 800 as landlord was away alot and i paid for things for the house

Ask the landlord to write a letter to this effect and include it with the bank statements and other supporting documents. That will save the delay in them writing to you to explain the difference and processing your reply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement