Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a BBQ Smoker

Options
  • 29-09-2015 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi All, I'm considering buying a bbq smoker. I don't have much to spend. I've found a very reasonable one advertised on done deal from a trader based out of Balbriggan Industrial Est. Just wondering if anyone have bought from them?? They also have a website, myirishmarket.com.

The price just seems too low for it to be the real deal. Let me know what you think.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have two BBQs. One is a Weber Smokey Joe kettle BBQ. It cost €100 but was well worth it. Can get coals lit and be BBQing in 20 mins. Fantastic for quick evening BBQs.

We then wanted to start doing low and slow BBQ and thought about buying a Weber Smokey Mountain but it costs several hundred €. So we decided to start with a cheapo Foxhunter BBQ from Amazon which cost approx £40 plus p&p. We've used it a few times since and the results have been quite decent. Great affordable way to start out.

The quality of the Smokey Joe has conviced me about the Weber brand, and I probably will buy the Smokey Mountain in a while. But for now, the Foxhunter is good

EDIT - I visited the website you mentioned. That BBQ is identical to our Foxhunter, and €120 seems overpriced to me for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 JohnnyB23

Thanks for the info Dudara, The picture for the Foxhunter are the same pics on the website i mentioned I'd say. I think i'll go with the Foxhunter, The customer reviews are good.
    Do you use long lasting charcoal when doing your low and slow cooks or how often do you need to top up the charcoal when using the Foxhunter?

Regards,
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We used charcoal briquettes, (not special long lasting ones), and we top up about every two hours. We add damp wood chips every hour. We top up sometimes with unlit coals, or sometimes I'll use the chimney starter if I think we need more.

The thermometer in the lid isn't great, so I have a digital probe suspended inside to help keep it in the region of 120C. Adding coals, opening and closing the vents all play havoc with the temp, so it's a matter of practice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 499 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

I use my gas bbq as a smoker for the last couple of years with great results. I just used damp wood chips on one burner and off set the heat on the other side meaning I can regulate the temperature better using the gas. Have done all sorts including fish & cold smoking cheese and all the usual meat brisket/ribs/pork shoulder etc.

Advertisement