Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Frozen tuna steaks..........very light in calories and really tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

vicwatson wrote: »
    New Rashers in Aldi are wow - Whiskey Smoked Streaky Rashers - €1.99
    Excellent stuff. I'm heading to Aldi this week so I must pick some up if there's any in stock.

I sometimes get some in Dunnes the very odd, but they are nearly €4 a pack, only get 5 in the pack too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,528 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Excellent stuff. I'm heading to Aldi this week so I must pick some up if there's any in stock.

I sometimes get some in Dunnes the very odd, but they are nearly €4 a pack, only get 5 in the pack too.

Got some today (well, yesterday now). They were OK. Bit thick cut for my liking, and incredibly salty (and yes, I know they're rashers!). They didn't taste much of whiskey!

Not bad, but I wouldn't be writing home about them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Got some today (well, yesterday now). They were OK. Bit thick cut for my liking, and incredibly salty (and yes, I know they're rashers!). They didn't taste much of whiskey!

Not bad, but I wouldn't be writing home about them tbh.

I saw them in Killorglin, I did not buy as I don't like streaky. The Beechwood smoked ones are lovely though.

I tried their Breaded Chicken Kiev Supreme and it was very nice indeed, not quite as nice as the M&S one but a very close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

The jumbo sausages with caramalised onions are lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Plenty of the Spanish Hot Choc in there at the moment.
    Pricey at 3:99, but amazing on these cold evenings!
    I am drinking it at the moment and am distinctly underwhelmed.
    Convenient? Yes. Great taste? mmmm no.
    I think its the low fat part thats letting it down.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I am drinking it at the moment and am distinctly underwhelmed.
    Convenient? Yes. Great taste? mmmm no.
    I think its the low fat part thats letting it down.

I always find Low Fat means low flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I always find Low Fat means low flavour.
    I should have looked more closely, the ingredients list Starch....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Can recommend their 'Smoky Bacon and buttered Leek Stuffing'

Had it with some Venison hearts yesterday and it turned a cut of meat that can be quite mundane into something very, very tasty. :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Only stumbled across this thread now. We do a good chunk of our shopping in Aldi and can recommend the following:

- Brown Bread - either the circular or rectangular soda bread is spot on.

- Corn Flakes - Nicer than Kellogs in my opinion

- Granola Cereal

- Cooked Mackarel

- Any of their smoked rashers

Used to buy a lot of their meat but find Lidl's cooked ham/beef/chorizo is slightly nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Just had a can of Tomato Soup from Aldi

400g and only 44 cent

It was magnificent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They have some "fake" Lindt Lindor chocolates in at the moment. They come in dark, milk, white, caramel and hazelnut varieties plus a mixed assortment of all five called Swiss chocolate truffles. Very nice indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

the Aldi falafels are lovely!
    spicey and nice kick to them and a great addtion to salads etc... when trying to eat well!
    Only saw them in the fridge section near the ready meals recently

the Aldi falafels are lovely!
    spicey and nice kick to them and a great addtion to salads etc... when trying to eat well!

Oooh, I LOVE falafel!

Frozen or fresh? I've never seen them, but I'll be keeping an eye out.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Frozen or fresh? I've never seen them, but I'll be keeping an eye out.....
    Fresh. I had the Mediterranean ones last night and they were very nice, there's a Moroccan variety too which I have yet to try.

Fresh. I had the Mediterranean ones last night and they were very nice, there's a Moroccan variety too which I have yet to try.

They must have been the ones I had... spicy and very nice indeed.

They must have been the ones I had... spicy and very nice indeed.
    Will give them a try next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Would they cook in an Airfryer or oven or do you need a deep fat fryer for them do you think?

Thargor wrote: »
    Would they cook in an Airfryer or oven or do you need a deep fat fryer for them do you think?

I eat them cold or in microwave, so you could heat either way!
    deep fat fryer may go against the 'goodness' of them ?

• Advertisement

I had some yesterday, and I'm sure that oven cooking was an option, so can't see why you couldn't do them in an airfryer. I just microwaved mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I've heated the flafel in the airfryer. Only took 3 mins or do. Very nice in a pita

Aldi little apple pies are delicious about a Euro or so for a pack of 6. My husband loves them with Aldi custard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

The ripe and ready avocados are delicious - lovely buttery texture without being too mushy. I find they keep well in the fridge for about a week.

The ripe and ready avocados are delicious - lovely buttery texture without being too mushy. I find they keep well in the fridge for about a week.

Sometimes ... I bought some a couple of weeks ago and they were harder than most of the non-"ripe and ready" ones I've had. Took the best part of a week on the window sill to ripen in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Love the cheese puff pastry twists... Dipped in cottage cheese...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Alun wrote: »
    Sometimes ... I bought some a couple of weeks ago and they were harder than most of the non-"ripe and ready" ones I've had. Took the best part of a week on the window sill to ripen in the end.
    Ready to eat stuff (ok mangos and avocados) in my local Aldi is dire most of the time, it's either gone off or still hard. Tesco isn't too bad but I find Lidl the best.

I like their special select sourdough bread. It's nowhere near being a proper sourdough but it is better than usual sliced pan stuff you get in supermarkets.

The Andara Sav Blanc wine is delicious, we bought it for friends who are really into their vino and they were amazed and delighted by it, especially the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

The Andara Sav Blanc wine is delicious, we bought it for friends who are really into their vino and they were amazed and delighted by it, especially the price.

Yep, about €7.00 a bottle and has won some best taste awards in national papers

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Yep, about €7.00 a bottle and has won some best taste awards in national papers

I must try the red version myself as I am not a white wine fan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

I must try the red version myself as I am not a white wine fan.

There's an Argentinean melbec also for about 8.50 which is very tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Alun wrote: »

By the way, an avocado will ripen much faster if you put in in a brown paper bag at room temperature, not on a windowsill. Even faster if you stick a banana in the bag with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Seafood Chowder in a tub 400g, made in Cork. Had it last night,plenty of fish in it too !

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ITmom

Do you mind me asking here abouts in the shop are the falafels? I wads looking for them in Killarney today and couldn't see them

TIA

Post above should of course be whereabouts - can't edit for some reason!

ITmom wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking here abouts in the shop are the falafels? I wads looking for them in Killarney today and couldn't see them

TIA
    In my local Aldi they're kept with the sandwiches, sandwich fillers, coleslaw, various salads etc. I'm not that familiar with the layouts in other Aldis so I'm not sure how typical that is.

Thanks a million! Had a look there but nothing. Mind u that whole section was fairly bare - will keep a eye out

ITmom wrote: »
    Thanks a million! Had a look there but nothing. Mind u that whole section was fairly bare - will keep a eye out
    No problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Got the two pack advocados at only 49c this week - perfectly ripe but slender - still a steal at that price!

• Advertisement

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    There's an Argentinean melbec also for about 8.50 which is very tasty

I tried that one but did not like it, not a patch on the M&S Malbec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Would anybody who had the falafels mind posting a picture at all? Even just the empty packaging. I asked in my local Aldi this morning and left them completely bewildered.

Would anybody who had the falafels mind posting a picture at all? Even just the empty packaging. I asked in my local Aldi this morning and left them completely bewildered.
    Hah, I was just in Aldi and scoured the fridges all over and couldn't see anything either!

Hah, I was just in Aldi and scoured the fridges all over and couldn't see anything either!

D'you mind me asking where you are HeidiHeidi? I'm in Limerick and Limerick now have a very confused Aldi manager.

D'you mind me asking where you are HeidiHeidi? I'm in Limerick and Limerick now have a very confused Aldi manager.
    I was in the Palmerstown branch in Dublin.

Here you go ...

289c5zr.jpg

In my Aldi, they're on the right hand side, just after the fridge with the prepared veg and bagged salads along with all the other ready to eat salad bowls, wraps etc. If you get to the meat section, you've gone too far :)

• Advertisement

I was in the Palmerstown branch in Dublin.

I've seen them in dublin too.
    As it's a new product (and one I haven't seen advertised on leaflets etc...) i wonder are they just doing regional trialing, and that's why your Limerick store have no idea?

I've seen other products come in before for a limited time with no mention - some type of chicken mexican tapas things that were delish but only last a couple of months max.

Thanks so much Alun :)

As it's a new product (and one I haven't seen advertised on leaflets etc...) i wonder are they just doing regional trialing, and that's why your Limerick store have no idea?

@whiskeyman, I did wonder about that alright. I'd say it's a good possibility. I'll keep an eye out in the coming weeks though.

Their salmon mousse ("Salmon Sensation", if you don't mind) is pretty damn bloody gorgeous.

Just had half a tub on fresh brown bread for lunch... yummmmmm :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Combination of a cold and dental surgery has left me sipping a lot of Aldis specially selected soups this week, cant fault them, they're basically Cully and Sullys for €1.50, the Tomato and Basil especially is spectacular, been eating it with soft white bread and cheese, Ill carry on eating it when Im back to normal, hard to decribe the taste but it is perfect Tomato soup, nearly as good as homemade. Chicken and Veg very nice aswell, an exact clone of Cully and Sullys one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement