Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which water for espresso machine

Options
  • 04-10-2015 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I am just wondering whether anyone can recommend a type of bottled water for making espresso. I am living in Galway at the moment which is a hard water area. I bought a bottle of Dunnes Irish Spring and it has 45mg/L calcium and magnesium 25mg/L. I thought this level was ok, but using the water testing provided with the machine it comes up as hard.

Would this water be ok, or would anyone know of a good brand of bottled water to use?

Thanks,

joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

That water would be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Hi Stereomaniac, could you help with a bit of an explanation?

What type of water do people normally use for their espresso machine?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I just go with tap water. For a while I was filling it up with water from a Britta Filter but abandoned that some time back.I just descale every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Cheers Adrian, yeah I was wondering about that - it seems most people just de-scale every few months? If possible I'd rather use soft water and not have to do that at all, to keep the machine in as good a shape as possible. I'll have to get back to water aisle in the supermarket and do some proper research..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I still think you will need to descale every so often, even with softer water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

We have very hard water and we just use regular brita -filtered tap water in our nespresso machine.

I plan to just use some vinegar when it comes time to descale the machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Call me Al wrote: »
    We have very hard water and we just use regular brita -filtered tap water in our nespresso machine.

I plan to just use some vinegar when it comes time to descale the machine.
    Beware! It will leave a taste if it leeches into the plastic parts. You'll never get rid of that hint of vinegar taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

I was told the best water to use was tesco own brand still water, I am into my coffee but the guy who recommended is obsessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fuzzby100

In general I would never use tap water although that depends what part of the country you are in. Here in Drogheda there is a lot of chlorine in the water which destroys the taste of everything in contact with it. I find a lot of poor coffee's in restaurants are usually down to poor water quality. I use the Tesco still water and also water from a local well. Both are very good.

Advertisement