Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with a Machine Head

Options
  • 27-06-2006 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

so I'm re-stringing my guitar (finally, I've had the same set of strings for over a year, thats what happens when you get Ernie Balls) while I was trying to tune up the g-string, the peg started getting harder to twist, and soon came to a point where if I put anymore force on it, it'd break off, when twisting it in the opposite direction, no problems, it dosen't do anything wrong.

So I'm wondering if anybody can help me out with this, should I dismantle the machine head and take a look at it? (I ask because I'm not much for the anatomy of guitars, if it plays good, sounds good, I don't care about the rest (not to say i treat them like crap))

EDIT: oh btw, it's a strat

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

If there's a little screw holding the button onto the peg, just loosen it slightly. Sometimes when you're winding up the peg, the button screws tightens too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

well, tbh, it's an SX (i know, it's crap, I don't care) so that'd probably make a difference as to the components, so as I know, theres no button, the peg goes into a tiny box where the screw part of the peg is, the box is held on by 2 actual screws

The button is the bit that you hold to twist the peg...

right, so I tried to see what I could do with it, I took out the 2 screws that hold the box to the head, and tried putting the string on that way, the entire thing just ended up swiveling away at every turn of the peg. put 1 screw back on to hold it in place, nothings changed

No, not the screws holding it to the wood. The piece that you hold to twist the machine head, that should have a screw in it. Check and see if it does.

• Advertisement

nope, no screw there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Did you change guages? Are you using the right string (ie not a D string where the G should be)

Did you change guages? Are you using the right string (ie not a D string where the G should be)

i don't think it matters, because it's having the same problem without even having a string in it

Advertisement