Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agricultural machinery design

Options
  • 23-11-2015 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hello all. I'm a 34 year old currently studying the one year BEng in Precision Engineering in LIT. I'd like to get involved in the design and development of agricultural machinery for the likes of Mchale or Connor Engineering.

I worked as a machine setter/technician for a medical devices company for nearly 8 years, so I've alot of experience running and repairing high end automation, but have always had an interest in farm machinery. You can take the boy out of the farm but you can't take the farm out of the boy!

When I was younger and more stupid, I did Mechatronics in AIT up to third year but didn't finish it out (the stupid bit).
    I'd like to do a level 8 degree in mechanical or mechatronics, but would prefer to do it part time as I don't like the idea of being a poor student for an extra year.

I'm just wondering will the previous work experience stand to me, or am I better off to just do a level 8 straight after the level 7. I also have a private pilots licence which might help spruce up the CV.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly apppreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

Don't be afraid to contact some of the companies and ask what they look for in terms of qualifications, ask if there are any project topics they would like to suggest. Do you have a project/applied part of the course?
    This approach can help you get answers straight from the companies you would be aiming to apply to as well as potentially setting up a relationship.

Have you looked at any past job adverts for engineers from the Ag machinery sector? What were they asking for in terms of qualifications/experience, are any of the systems you have worked on in the medical sector transferable to the systems in Agri machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pidgeoneyes

Getting in contact with them first sounds like a plan alright.

They're looking for design engineers at the minute. My background wouldn't be too far off what they want. Some of it should be transferable.

My final year project is in CMM, it may be of some use to them.

Advertisement