Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tea

• 14-12-2008 11:36am

I love my tea. Would probably drink around 4 cups a day. But I have been wondering about something; why do they charge different prices between a small-medium-large tea. I mean when you think about it, it's not like they're adding any extra tea-leaves or tea-bags. Just water, which can be gotten for free regardless.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I only found out recently we have a coffee and tea forum, it's pretty dead

Probably a marketing scam, like those pyramid shaped tea-bags
    But hey, they introduced it so someone is buying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Horrible stuff:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Tea, I hate the stuff. More a coffee girl myself.
    I cant even make a nice cup of tea. Tea bags are a bit like using instant coffee are they not? Not every where has separate prices for cup or mugs of tea. It's a bit of a joke really....extra hot water = extra 50c. Irish people are only now realising how unquestioning their attitudes were in this respect for the last 5 to 10 years. Places that want to survive will have to offer more value for your €€ or lose your business. The thing is though, if you're not speaking with your feet...they won't lose and won't learn.

On another point: As a coffee drinker i can just about stomach a cup of instant crap if it's my only choice. Is it that tea drinkers are lazy? We go to the trouble of getting the auld percolators or bodums out to have the perfect cup of coffee. Why don't people who claim to be almost addicted tea drinkers make real tea :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

This bothers me immensely...what are they charging the extra for?
    Have to hand it to the local starbucks..they always offer me an extra teabag if I order a grande tea...nowhere else does that.

Having a nice cup right now..mmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I maybe drink 4 cups a week but the West Coast beside me in Temple Bar charges €1.70 for a Tall and €1.75 for a large. Sure you might think the charge is just for extra water but Its water, more milk(?) and if you are taking it away then its a bigger paper cup. Still my place has a tiny difference, maybe other places are far worse?

• Advertisement

Sabotage wrote: »
    I maybe drink 4 cups a week but the West Coast beside me in Temple Bar charges €1.70 for a Tall and €1.75 for a large. Sure you might think the charge is just for extra water but Its water, more milk(?) and if you are taking it away then its a bigger paper cup. Still my place has a tiny difference, maybe other places are far worse?

I have seen places charge between 20 and 50c extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I love my tea. Would probably drink around 4 cups a day. But I have been wondering about something; why do they charge different prices between a small-medium-large tea. I mean when you think about it, it's not like they're adding any extra tea-leaves or tea-bags. Just water, which can be gotten for free regardless.
    4 cups a day? Pffff. Feeble effort, man.

Minimum 10 ftw :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I agree with above. Only 4 cups a day? You don't love tea at all:p

I think I'm addicted to the stuff. back when I was in school I used feel like absolute crap until I had a cup of tea when i got home. After walking any amount of distance, I need tea. When I wake up I need at least 2 cups of tea to start functioning. Before I go to sleep, I need tea. While studying I need LOTS of tea. While interneting I need lots of tea. I basically need lots of tea.

The worst thing about tea is that once you've finished a cup, you just want more and more which means getting off your ass to make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I agree with above. Only 4 cups a day? You don't love tea at all:p

I think I'm addicted to the stuff. back when I was in school I used feel like absolute crap until I had a cup of tea when i got home. After walking any amount of distance, I need tea. When I wake up I need at least 2 cups of tea to start functioning. Before I go to sleep, I need tea. While studying I need LOTS of tea. While interneting I need lots of tea. I basically need lots of tea.

The worst thing about tea is that once you've finished a cup, you just want more and more which means getting off your ass to make it.
    you must get the sh!ts an awful lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

why do they charge different prices between a small-medium-large tea. I mean when you think about it, it's not like they're adding any extra tea-leaves or tea-bags. Just water, which can be gotten for free regardless.

They charge more because people are willing to pay more.
    See how much they'll charge you for a cup of hot water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

micmclo wrote: »
    I only found out recently we have a coffee and tea forum, it's pretty dead

Probably a marketing scam, like those pyramid shaped tea-bags
    But hey, they introduced it so someone is buying it

Those pyramid bags allow the companies to make the teabags with a lot less waste compared to other bags, the circular ones especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They probably do use more teabags/leaves for a bigger pot; they ought to, at least.

Regardless, there is a crazy mark-up on tea in cafés but it's hard to say no if you're a tea lover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

themadchef wrote: »
    Tea, I hate the stuff. More a coffee girl myself.
    I cant even make a nice cup of tea. Tea bags are a bit like using instant coffee are they not? Not every where has separate prices for cup or mugs of tea. It's a bit of a joke really....extra hot water = extra 50c. Irish people are only now realising how unquestioning their attitudes were in this respect for the last 5 to 10 years. Places that want to survive will have to offer more value for your €€ or lose your business. The thing is though, if you're not speaking with your feet...they won't lose and won't learn.

On another point: As a coffee drinker i can just about stomach a cup of instant crap if it's my only choice. Is it that tea drinkers are lazy? We go to the trouble of getting the auld percolators or bodums out to have the perfect cup of coffee. Why don't people who claim to be almost addicted tea drinkers make real tea :confused:

Irish people?:pac: Sure they are all leprechauns are they not?:eek:

Also, I find tea drinkers aren't as elitist as coffee drinkers. :o
    moonboy wrote: »

Tea isn't like coffee :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

4 a day isn't that much. I drink tea and coffee - go through a minimum of two coffees and 5 or 6 tea's.

But chargin extra for a large tea is a bit dodgy. the local place doesn't charge any difference for regular of large though.

I drink about 3-4 coffees at work and a couple of teas at home
    weekend is about 5 teas or so a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

According to the Guinness World Records, we are the nation that drinks the most tea! Wahey!

100 years of calling us alcoholics, look who's laughing now :pac:

Anyway, day starts with a cup of Lyons. Have at least 5 a day. With chocolate bourbons of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Some places put an extra teabag in the cup if your buying a large one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead hates the stuff.

Hate the smell, colour and taste of the loathsome liquid. But worst of all is the social aspect of it. Old women in the country actually get angry with you and hold a grudge if you refuse to accept a cup of tea from them.

Pighead has been told to "Get the fcuk out of my house you little runt, you mean nothing to me now" by many aunts and a couple of grannies down through the years. You could assasinate the pope whilst making love to a sheep and it still wouldn't come near the hatred generated from not drinking their tea. They say heroin destroys families but teas worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Rosedale6

I really enjoy a cup of tea. I must drink about7,8,9 cups a day. I hate it when you go to a cafe and it tastes like water.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

themadchef wrote: »

Good point. I love coffee and tea equally, but both have their time and place.
    I'll drink instant if it's all that's going but if I'm offered the choice between that and tea, I'll take the tea.
    At home I won't touch instant, it's grinding my own beans and making it in the cafetierre...but I usually only drink coffee in the morning or evening...during the day or sometimes with breakfast it'll be tea (bags in a pot), but it would never occur to me to buy loose leaf tea. I know it tastes nicer and that but it isn't the same difference that there is between instant coffee and the real thing.

As for buying tea/coffee? I won't buy tea to take away...1.60 or whatever for a cup of hotwater and a teabag is lunacy...coffee to take away, it depends...some of the machines in shops make nice fresh frothy stuff and some it's just glorified instant. I'm far more inclined to spend 2 quid or whatever on the coffee (I don't know if the profit margins are the same as tea in this regard)...I just don't think that tea offers value for money and it's never as nice as it is from a pot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I loves me tea.
    Only barry's tea though, everything else is gash

Coffee wise any brand is usually alright, but prefer barry's

Which is why tea pots are so incredibly wonderful :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Also, I find tea drinkers aren't as elitist as coffee drinkers. :o
    Both hot drinks, but quite different in preparation. It is far more likely to get a crap coffee than crap teas.

Anyone ever drink instant tea (as in freeze dried)? Only had it once myself..and that was one too many times.

It'd be better to equate that with instant coffee and use comparisons of teabags to loose leaf as being the difference between cafétierre coffee and that from a gaggia or similar...

moonboy wrote: »

hahaha, no i cant say i do. Just a lot of weeing:p

rubadub wrote: »
    Both hot drinks, but quite different in preparation. It is far more likely to get a crap coffee than crap teas.
    Hmmm, I dunno. It's so so easy for tea to be too weak or too strong. And if you don't heat the pot properly beforehand it could be too cold. So many people are really quite particular about making their own tea so it will be strong enough/right amount of milk, etc. Then there's the type of tea bag...

Yadda yadda yadda

True true.
    I am really tempted to buy a kettle for my room...but that would mean buying a fridge to keep the milk in, and a sink for washing the cups and spoons...

hahaha, no i cant say i do. Just a lot of weeing:p
    Me too :o
    So much so I've often told myself to cut down on my tea intake. But I can't. It's far too good. And this country is far too cold.

True true.
    I am really tempted to buy a kettle for my room...but that would mean buying a fridge to keep the milk in, and a sink for washing the cups and spoons...
    I rented a room once which had a kettle and mini fridge in it. It was great.

Plus it had an ensuite, which is necessary with all the tea drinking. It was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Tea, you say?

I'd love one. Cheers! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I only realised there was one in my apartment the other day.. Its brilliant :D

But does anybody find the teapots in restaurants are verybadly designed and prone to spillages?

I only realised there was one in my apartment the other day.. Its brilliant :D

But does anybody find the teapots in restaurants are verybadly designed and prone to spillages?

My god, yes. I mean, half the tea ends up on the table:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Indeed, tea seems to want to cling to the spout and just drip down the side of it instead of into the cup. Requires skill. :) Having a nice cup of Lyons Gold Blend now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I need a good teapot. Which is better? The steel ones or the ceramic ones?

Damn it, now I'm going to go and make a cup of tea.

Social drug, I think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Why are the larger cups of tea dearer? a couple of reasons which on a per cup basis are small but over the year mount up.

-the larger cup costs more,
    -more water is used , its not free we are on a meter
    -if more water is used it costs more to boil it
    -the larger cups tend to use more sugar and milk.
    -the more water that go through the machines ie the more they are used then the more maintenace they need.

if you only sold 12oz tea versus 8oz tea thats 50% more water used, over a year that adds up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

My mum and sis went into the Marriott hotel cafe in Limerick a few days ago to have a cup of tea. €4.50 :eek: And it was just a standard cup of tea! Coffee was the same!!!!!! Criminal!

My god, yes. I mean, half the tea ends up on the table:(

Ruined my Indo a few weeks back... Aggravating in the extreme.

Fizman wrote: »
    My mum and sis went into the Marriott hotel cafe in Limerick a few days ago to have a cup of tea. €4.50 :eek: And it was just a standard cup of tea! Coffee was the same!!!!!! Criminal!

yep ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

That's easily solved. Take the tea bag out before pouring, and I can assure you that will never happen again. :cool:

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    That's easily solved. Take the tea bag out before pouring, and I can assure you that will never happen again. :cool:

Yep, the s/steel catering tea pots have a lid that gets pushed up slightly when you try and pour tea from a full pot...the floating bags lift the lid and tea runs over the lip and down the sides...it can look like it's coming from the spout but it's not.

It's reckoned that tea tastes better from china or ceramic than out of steel pots, but I've never tasted any difference. Steel pot is easier to warm, but ceramic seems to keep it warmer for longer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Wertz wrote: »
    Yep, the s/steel catering tea pots have a lid that gets pushed up slightly when you try and pour tea from a full pot...the floating bags lift the lid and tea runs over the lip and down the sides...it can look like it's coming from the spout but it's not.

I discovered that the hard way. Absent-mindedly poured a mug of tea in a café, while simultaneously reading. Tea flowed off the table, straight onto my trousers. Of course, I couldn't get up and leave until it dried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Never in my life bought a cup of tea. What a rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Love my first cup of tea in the morning, then usually have coffee during the day, tea again in the evening.

RayM wrote: »

You have changed my life :D

Advertisement