Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Abandoned car help

Options
  • 26-11-2015 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

I recently moved into a rented property and there is an abandoned car outside our property on foreign plates and the landlord thinks i should contact the guards about this car and see if it can be taken away. I think the owners of the car went home to their home country, so no longer in Ireland. any ideas on what options i have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Furtzy2

I recently moved into a rented property and there is an abandoned car outside our property on foreign plates and the landlord thinks i should contact the guards about this car and see if it can be taken away. I think the owners of the car went home to their home country, so no longer in Ireland. any ideas on what options i have?

Take the plates off and phone the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kev1nDonn

I experienced the same issue when I lived in Lucan many years ago. I was told cars cannot be towed away if they still have licence plates on them. So by inference.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

If you're in Dublin someone like parts 4 cars kin sella scrap yard red cow will take it away, I'd be billing the smart ass landlord an admin fee of 200 euro if I was you doing his dirty work . What sort of car is it any what age ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You actually dont need to take the plates off. Inform the council and Revenue would also be interested as they could chase up for VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Bigus wrote: »
    If you're in Dublin someone like parts 4 cars kin sella scrap yard red cow will take it away, I'd be billing the smart ass landlord an admin fee of 200 euro if I was you doing his dirty work . What sort of car is it any what age ?

Peugeot 607, no idea of age

• Advertisement

jonny24ie wrote: »
    You actually dont need to take the plates off. Inform the council and Revenue would also be interested as they could chase up for VRT

My worry would be, what if they come back looking for it. Is there a certain period a car has to be sitting there to be classified as abandoned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Furtzy2

Any legit scrap yard will need ownership cert to scrap it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My worry would be, what if they come back looking for it. Is there a certain period a car has to be sitting there to be classified as abandoned?

Simple answer: what car? I never seen any car parked here. Now fcuk off.

Furtzy2 wrote: »
    Take the plates off and phone the council.

It's on private property , council won't take it

It's on private property , council won't take it

Its not, its in a estate, it an apartment complex and we all park along the path same place as this car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

How long has car been there?
    How do you know it is abandoned? Did a neighbour tell you?
    Is it obstructing anything?

biko wrote: »
    How long has car been there?
    How do you know it is abandoned? Did a neighbour tell you?
    Is it obstructing anything?

Its been there a few months, landlord told me about this and i questioned my neighbor and they said its there a while, its not obstructing anything, just taking up a parking spot

Furtzy2 wrote: »
    Any legit scrap yard will need ownership cert to scrap it

because it's on private property this won't apply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

On public property the council will investigate any car reported as abandoned, plates or no plates.
    On private property, in your case, it is up the management company. Either you or your landlord could sort it out with them.
    A call to guards might be worth a shot. If the car was involved I any crimes they may be looking for it.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    On public property the council will investigate any car reported as abandoned, plates or no plates.
    On private property, in your case, it is up the management company. Either you or your landlord could sort it out with them.
    A call to guards might be worth a shot. If the car was involved I any crimes they may be looking for it.

Im going to chat to my neighbor to see what they think, also get them involved so im not the only one dealing with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Push/pull it to the middle of the road and ring the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kawasaki1100

Dismantle it and sell the parts on eBay.

joujoujou wrote: »
    Push/pull it to the middle of the road and ring the guards.

how can i do that when i have no access to the car and hand brake is on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

;)
    369805.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Tow it using your car? The handbrake doesn't defeat physics.
    If you really want rid of it, set it on fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kawasaki1100

Employ a local light fingered chap to make it disappear overnight, job done.
    Oh,leave a gallon of petrol nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Unless it is affecting you adversely I would leave it alone as it not something that should be put on you to sort out. What are the management company being paid for ?

Advertisement