Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I pass NCT with such rear door locking problem?

Options
  • 28-10-2015 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello all,

I will be soon going through NCT and a couple of days ago the following weird problem occurred with the locking mechanism of one of my rear doors:

When I press the central locking button, the car locks ok, but when I unlock it, all the doors are unlocked and can be properly opened using their handles, except one of the rear doors, which still remains locked. However if I pull up the opening handle from the inside, the door unlocks and opens ok. So the door can only be unlocked from the inside, but not from the outside. Additionally, ever since that problem occurred a few days ago, the faulty door's locking motor makes that grinding noise when trying to lock and unlock. It seems that the motor of the locking mechanism is not activating / disabling the lock properly.

And since I will be going through NCT soon, I was wondering if I can pass NCT with that and fix that afterwards, or I need to bring the car to a garage to fix it asap, as it would mean NCT fail?

I am asking, because I have been quite busy lately and it would be really hard for me to find the time to bring the car to a garage over the next week, so if I can pass NCT with that problem, it would be way easier for me to bring the car to a garage in a few weeks, after the NCT, when I won't be that busy. :(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is NCT concerned if a rear door remains locked?
    https://www.ncts.ie/pdf/NCT%20Manual%20July%202014.pdf
    Door cannot be shut or opened normally or is liable to open on its own.
    So no, it may fail because "normal operation" is hindered.
    However, if it fails on that alone it will be a free re-test in the parking lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When you're waiting in the car park, make sure that all of the doors are unlocked. Then when the NCT guy comes out, hand him the keys, tell him the car is open and he will drive it into the centre. Better still, you sit in the car with the keys in the ignition so when he comes out, you get out of the car and hold the door open for him, that way he won't accidently lock/unlock the car.

It's unlikely that he will lock and unlock the car using the key fob simply to test if the central locking mechanism is working properly for each door, he will probably check that each door can be opened and closed and according to what you're saying, this part shouldn't be a problem as long as he doesn't lock and unlock the car during the test. When the test is complete he will drive it out and lock it, at that stage the test will be complete and you should pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Sorry to high jack the thread but my passenger side window regulator is gone and I won't have time to fix it, I have wood wedged in the door to keep the window up but because of this the passenger door doesn't open from the inside or the window won't come down would this be a fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

ASOT wrote: »
    Sorry to high jack the thread but my passenger side window regulator is gone and I won't have time to fix it, I have wood wedged in the door to keep the window up but because of this the passenger door doesn't open from the inside or the window won't come down would this be a fail?

No, will be OK. NCT manual only refers to opening and closing of driver's window .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I can understand the use of a wooden wedge to keep the window closed but how does that stop the door from opening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Door not opening would probably be an issue but not the window (only the driver's window must open).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Rippy wrote: »
    No, will be OK. NCT manual only refers to opening and closing of driver's window .

That's what I was thinking myself, will throw it through anywya hopefully it'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

rosenrot wrote: »
    Hello all,

I will be soon going through NCT and a couple of days ago the following weird problem occurred with the locking mechanism of one of my rear doors:

When I press the central locking button, the car locks ok, but when I unlock it, all the doors are unlocked and can be properly opened using their handles, except one of the rear doors, which still remains locked. However if I pull up the opening handle from the inside, the door unlocks and opens ok. So the door can only be unlocked from the inside, but not from the outside. Additionally, ever since that problem occurred a few days ago, the faulty door's locking motor makes that grinding noise when trying to lock and unlock. It seems that the motor of the locking mechanism is not activating / disabling the lock properly.

And since I will be going through NCT soon, I was wondering if I can pass NCT with that and fix that afterwards, or I need to bring the car to a garage to fix it asap, as it would mean NCT fail?

I am asking, because I have been quite busy lately and it would be really hard for me to find the time to bring the car to a garage over the next week, so if I can pass NCT with that problem, it would be way easier for me to bring the car to a garage in a few weeks, after the NCT, when I won't be that busy. :(

wont be a problem. they don't test for central locking. some older cars don't have central locking, its not a priority

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Is it a Passat. Mine has the same problem & passed 2 NCTs so far (I keep forgetting to get it fixed!)

coylemj wrote: »
    When you're waiting in the car park, make sure that all of the doors are unlocked. Then when the NCT guy comes out, hand him the keys, tell him the car is open and he will drive it into the centre. Better still, you sit in the car with the keys in the ignition so when he comes out, you get out of the car and hold the door open for him, that way he won't accidently lock/unlock the car.

Last time I did the NCT I was told to go out and leave the keys in the ignition for the tester so I was sitting in the waiting room before he even went out to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please don't hijack threads. There is plenty of space on the server for new threads.

The reason for this is simple:
    Did you ever have an issue and you googled it?
    You found a result on the google results page that described the issue?
    You clicked on the google link only to find the thread had been hijacked and dealt with something else, and didn't have the answer you were looking for?
    This is the reason each thread should deal with a single user issue.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

My drivers door does that with the central locking. It's been like that for the last two nct's and it's never failed because of it but I always hand the car over unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rosenrot

Thank you all for the replies.
    I will try to sort it out before the NCT, regardless of the time I need to spend looking for a garage and bringing the car for repair.

BTW, since I have comprehensive car insurance with step back protection, and it was mentioned that it covers keys replacement, I was wondering if it would be wise to call them first to see if the insurance will cover the cost? Or there is no point in doing that and it might only increase my next insurance quotations next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

central locking isn't a requirement. So as long as the door is unlocked, closes and opens - then you won't fail.

Advertisement