Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help!

Options
  • 18-08-2015 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

On my MBP I usually see under "Shared Devices" in Finder another MAC.

Wouldnt that mean that theres another mac using my Wi Fi ??
    How do I go about blocking it ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Just log into your router and see what devices are connected.. Check the MAC address of your devices to what's listed in dhcp on the router

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Yea done that but couldnt narrow it down... there are loads of devices connected...

I was wondering could I delete it off finder even ???

There are about 12 devices connected to router... the mac addresses of the connected devices dont correspond with the mac in finder ???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Restart your Mac. Mine is usually quite slow at releasing machines that have connected before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    Yea done that but couldnt narrow it down... there are loads of devices connected...

I was wondering could I delete it off finder even ???

There are about 12 devices connected to router... the mac addresses of the connected devices dont correspond with the mac in finder ???

Are there that many devices in your home ? Download LanScan and see how many devices are actually on your network. Restarting the router may clear any arp caching going on. Might also be worth changing the WPA Key in case someone else has managed to get the password.

Also change the admin password on the router, it's amazing the number of routers I see still using the default Admin Username and Password, those in the know can easily determine the make of a device simply by reading the MAC address to discover the make, e.g. TP Link or Netgear, for which there is usually a default password of "admin".

Ken

Ill have to wait till it pops up again in finder...

Thanks all for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

It could also be a another Mac signed in with the same AppleID and with Back to my Mac turned on.

Type 17: Ahhhhhhhh yes thats what it is !!!!!!

Advertisement