Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey question mark on 4 month old iMac

Options
  • 13-08-2015 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭

This evening I went to pick up an iMac I agreed a sale on over on Adverts, the guy had it in the box along with receipt ready to go but I asked to have a look at it running before I handed over the cash. After he switched it on all we got was a flashing grey question mark. I left him re installing OS X and said I'd call back tomorrow. Any other idea why such a new model wouldn't boot up?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dead or dying hard drive would be my first guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kip d

Hardware failure, it's not a home fix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Many thanks guys. I guess 780 for a 4 month old iMac was too good to be true...

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

Could be just a corrupt file system or a loose cable to the motherboard. After he reinstalls OSX question hi if he has ever opened up the iMac for whatever reason.

Plenty of Vids on YT explaining this..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

For something so new he could easily get that repaired under warranty before shifting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Surely this is still under Apple Care? Have you ran the serial check?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Turns out he left it into CEX for valuation and they wiped it. He reinstalled OS X and all was good, but by then I'd picked up a sweeter deal on adverts. Though not as sweet as the 780 we agreed on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Grey question mark is when there's no OS X installed on the HDD. Should of been fine, a bootable USB or recovery mode and your good to go.

Advertisement