Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water damaged MBP

• 26-07-2015 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

I spilt water over my MBP 15" last night :( The laptop was closed shut at the time but in sleep mode. I tried turning it on today and the screen is black yet the keyboard is still lighting and there is noise when I press the volume key.

Any tips on a home DIY repair job? Or is it a case of sending it to somewhere like CompuB?

If it is a case of having to send to an expert, can anyone recommend anyone in Dublin that won't rip me off?

All the best

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

go to any authorised apple repair centre and get a quote. (CompuB, EVAD, Typetec etc..) .. however brace yourself for bad news.

Liquid typically causes havoc with a number of parts .. and even if corrosion isn't immediately visible on some components it back affect it later on.

You might get lucky and only a couple of parts might have to be replaced.

More often than not a liquid spill will make it uneconomical to repair. Replacement parts from Apple are expensive and that is something the dealers have no control over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

On a DIY repair job:

http://www.ifixit.com

IF you're feeling adventurous and the thing is definitely out of warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

leave it in a big bag of dried rice for a few days as the rice will absorb moisture, but damage was probably done as it was still powered and the battery was installed

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jonathan mark

i droped water well drips onto keyboard apple would even give me a exact price to replace keyboard £200/300 for keyboard. i was surprised how few drops it to to ruin it. i got if replace in thailand £60:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

first mistake was turning it on but since it was in sleep it probably didn't matter.
    Missus spilt water or tea over her mac air as well and I was going nuts about it since I bought it for her...I put it in the hot press for an entire week and only then turned it on..very lucky as it came back up fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

My Advice would be to ring apple support and get a price on damage repair. You will get a quote and they'll do a proper and certified job, plus you might benefit from installation of new hardware, rather then repaired or dried out hardware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 mocathain

Xpro wrote: »
    My Advice would be to ring apple support and get a price on damage repair. You will get a quote and they'll do a proper and certified job, plus you might benefit from installation of new hardware, rather then repaired or dried out hardware

Don't ring Apple support as they would not have the price as the Applecare line software troubleshoot over the phone and would not have a price guide for repairs.

best bet is to get it looked at at an authorised service provider like compu b

Advertisement