Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop freezing

Options
  • 23-01-2013 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭

hi,
    my laptop freezes after startup for a while.
    i have done a disc defrag and also a registry defrag.
    i don't think it's the hard drive as i put a new one in and it's still the same.
    i have scanned for issues and found none.
    it only freezes for the first 20 minutes or so.
    it freezes for about 20 seconds each time.
    it does it playing youtube or even on google,basically everything.
    can someone tell me what else i can do to find the problem please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

blade1 wrote: »
    hi,
    my laptop freezes after startup for a while.
    i have done a disc defrag and also a registry defrag.
    i don't think it's the hard drive as i put a new one in and it's still the same.
    i have scanned for issues and found none.
    it only freezes for the first 20 minutes or so.
    it freezes for about 20 seconds each time.
    it does it playing youtube or even on google,basically everything.
    can someone tell me what else i can do to find the problem please.

Is the laptop running hot? Could be overheating issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Have you got an AV programme set to scan on startup?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

HelpWithIT wrote: »
    Is the laptop running hot? Could be overheating issue
    Heat is ok and it runs ok after a while.

FSL wrote: »
    Have you got an AV programme set to scan on startup?

Do u mean anti virus?
    I have Avast and also mbam.
    Normal scans show no virus.
    Can I set one of those to scan on startup?

ok, i've done a scan on startup and it said there was one virus in a PUP.
    i moved it to Avast virus chest.
    laptop hasn't freezed yet but it's early days yet.
    i was hoping to get more details of virus in virus chest but i can't see a way of doing this on Avast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

How do you do a registry defrag, is this only possible in newer models?

How do you do a registry defrag, is this only possible in newer models?

I have a program called registry mechanic.
    My laptop is a 5 year old hp 550.

It's good you found one virus, this can cause the symptoms you describe, now go to www.malwarebytes.org and download the free version of Malwarebyes, install (during installation untick the try Pro version) and update and then run a complete scan, once finished it may ask you to restart, this is an excellent programme and often finds stuff other programmes fail to find, to take that registry programme of your system, google and download cccleaner and run the cleaning and registry sections of it then you should be right as rain (-;

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

It's good you found one virus, this can cause the symptoms you describe, now go to www.malwarebytes.org and download the free version of Malwarebyes, install (during installation untick the try Pro version) and update and then run a complete scan, once finished it may ask you to restart, this is an excellent programme and often finds stuff other programmes fail to find, to take that registry programme of your system, google and download cccleaner and run the cleaning and registry sections of it then you should be right as rain (-;

When I download free stuff like this for some reason at some point I end up having to reset to factory settings, it is like I need to uninstall a lot of stuff to stop infighting.

have them already and malwarebytes showed nothing but it probably would have if i done a startup scan with it

• Advertisement

The two programmes mentioned don't install any advertising or spyware programmes, that's why I recommend them. Some "registry fixing " programmes bring in all kinds of crap adn cause problems (-;

The two programmes mentioned don't install any advertising or spyware programmes, that's why I recommend them. Some "registry fixing " programmes bring in all kinds of crap adn cause problems (-;

yeah,those two are good alright.
    the registry program i have is a paid version.
    i find it good,seems to speed up my laptop;)

day 2 and still hasn't froze so looking good.

Advertisement