Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miscellaneous Facts thread

Options
  • 13-08-2015 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

Odd facts you may pick up that could interest someone can be posted in here

Cerberus the guard dog of the underworld in ancient mythology:

Indo - European word root "Kerberos" which means Spotted.

In other words, Hades, the lord and ruler of the underworld literally named his dog "Spot" :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Graffiti is a plural, graffito is singular.
    It's still vandalism though. :mad:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have just realised that I always vaguely (very vaguely) thought Cerberus - the spotty dog - and Cerebos - salt - were the same word. Enlightenment on a Thursday morning.

This is a kind of reverse 'easy quiz' -- we will give you the answer, you invent the question :D

'Vikings' were not a race of people, the word described the act of going adventuring - going 'viking', the kind of historical equivalent of all the young fellas heading off to trash a holiday resort in another country. With pillaging as a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

The Panama Canal when navigated from the east to the west basically requires you to travel west to east. This is because the location of the canal is in the area between North and South America where the land loops in a northerly direction forcing vessels to effectively go east to go west!http://www.zonu.com/images/0X0/2009-09-17-1654/The-Panama-Canal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Apparently Mt Rushmore in USA has no Republican Presidents on it.

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    Apparently Mt Rushmore in USA has no Republican Presidents on it.

Really! What basis did they use for choosing the five (I think its 5?) ones that are on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

It's four, man, come on....

Ok, four, whatever, what basis etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I think it's that there's no Democratic presidents on it, although the further back you go, the more murky "Democrat" and "Republican" become as designations.

Looking it up, the four presidents were George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln. It was done in Calvin Coolidge's presidency to celebrate the first 130 years of the US, and he wanted Washington, plus two Republicans and one Democrat up there (Coolidge was Rep too).

Out of these, George Washington was basically Independent and a member of neither party.

Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809) was a member of the helpfully named Democratic-Republican party, which was the predecessor of the Republican party and its inspiration (also known as Jeffersonian Republicans).

Abraham Lincoln (1861-1865) was first a Whig, until 1854, then Republican, then finally a member of the National Union party, which was the Republican Party under a name to appeal to the moderate Unionists that might not otherwise vote for them as part of Reconstruction after the Civil War. It worked briefly to bring both parties together before Lincoln was shot. NU lost most of its Republican support and became a Democratic Party offshoot, before everyone gave up and went home.

Theodore Roosevelt (1901-1909) was a member of the Republican Party when he became President, but split off to form his own party in 1912 - the Progressive Party, which shared a lot of what modern-day Democrats would probably claim to be Democratic values. That keeled over in 1916 again though.

Out of those, Roosevelt and Lincoln are definitely listed as Republicans in various lists of presidents, and Jefferson as a Democratic-Republican, so I figure he was Coolidge's "Democrat" of the group. Overall though, technically there are no Democrats on Mount Rushmore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hibernea, what the Romans called 'Ireland', means land of winter, they weren't wrong. It's also where 'hibernate' comes from. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 bkohatl

I have always been curious about Billy the Kid or Henry McCarty as his Mom and friends called him. I stumbled across a story about him in a history magazine, which piqued my interest. I've been doing a lot research since then.

Apparently the District Attorney who prosecuted Henry, William Rynerson, was handed 50 indictments by a Grand Jury based on Henry's testimony and a few other brave souls who took a stand against corruption. Rynerson refused to prosecute almost all of the indicted men and orchestrated acquittals for the rest.
    A magazine described how, Rynerson objected to several eye witnesses testifying about the murder of English shopkeeper John Tunstall, saying that they were unreliable. John was murdered in cold blood by Lincoln County Sheriff Brady's Posse, which was made up mostly of outlaws, including several murderers. This is the judgment of an investigator from the Secretary of the Interior, which had jurisdiction over the territory. Corrupt Judge Bristol, who presided over the trials, immediately ruled that the eyewitness testimony was excluded as unreliable.
    DA Rynerson is interesting because of a personal run-in he had with the law himself. President US Grant had appointed General John Slough as Chief Justice of the New Mexico Territory and told him to clean out the criminals in government and the judiciary. He fired a number of judges and DA's. He started an investigation of Rynerson, finally accusing him of corruption. Rynerson ran into the Chief Justice in Santa Fe, pulled out his gun, shot and killed him. Since Chief Justice Slough was able to pull out his Derringer as he fell, but died before he had to shoot in self-defense, another corrupt DA, ruled it self-defense.

Judge Bristol would also be the man who sentenced Billy the Kid to death for the shooting of corrupt Sheriff William Brady. His charge to the jury is interesting. He said that if Henry was within 5 miles of town he was guilty, period. Not quite the same evidentiary standard as the other case, obviously.
    Tunstall's crime, opening a store in Lincoln, New Mexico. The men who ran the other store in town and their bosses in Santa Fe, didn't like competition. Murder was their chosen method of redress.
    Henry worked for Tunstall and liked him. He and Tunstall's other ranch hands were so outraged by the murder that the went to the local Justice of the Peace and were sworn in as Special Deputies to find the murderers of John Tunstall. Thus began the Lincoln County War.
    A Grand Jury was convened because of a complaint and protest to US Government by the British Government. Henry was offered a pardon by Governor Lew Wallace, if he testified before the Grand Jury which he did.

I wrote a page on my blog about the convoluted story of how Henry "Billy the Kid" McCarty was shot by Sheriff Pat Garrett. And all the facts that I have found about the 20-year-old orphan.

But most people don't know that Garrett was voted out of office in the next election. People liked Henry, they didn't like Garrett. Years later, Garrett would blame his downward spiral on Billy the Kid. Maybe he deserved it. The problem is with the version of Henry's shooting in the book Garrett wrote "The Authentic Life of Billy the Kid". Billy supposedly entered the room with a gun and a knife in his hands. Pat said he shot him in self defense.
    Only one problem, The Maxwell's Navajo maid, Dulvina Maxwell, accused Pat of shooting the kid in the back. She should know, she was cradling the boy's head in her hands, she had "adopted" Henry as her own. She screamed that Pat wasn't much of a man, shooting the unarmed kid in the back. The Maxwell's daughter also repeated the same charge.
    Pat Garrett ordered the Coroner to re-write Henry's death certificate.

It is impossible to give Henry the Pardon he was promised, apparently. If you know the whole truth, you may come away with the feeling that Henry was on the side of the angels, but those who are opposed to giving a pardon will never give an inch. I've always wondered why the English don't make an issue of it. Their complaint forced the Governor to convene a Grand Jury. Henry told them the truth and was promised a pardon for his testimony.

But there is one other thing which bothers me. The local chamber of commerce, put up a tombstone for his Mom.

Kathrine Antrim 1829-1871 Mother of Billy the Kid

What is wrong with that? They didn't even get her name right and forgot that she had two sons. She was also one of the founders of Wichita, Kansas. I am trying to get their Mom's tombstone replaced with one that her two sons would have been proud of.

Catherine McCarty Antrim (1829-1874) Beloved Mother of Joe and Henry McCarty, better known to history as "Billy the Kid" She was one of the founders of the city of Wichita, Kansas. Catherine was a friend to everyone who met her.

I figure if we can't we can't get other people to do what's right, we Irish can stick up for one of our brothers and do it ourselves. Henry, his brother Joe and his Mom would appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bkohatl

YouTube has several documentaries which come very close to the truth. American Experience Billy the Kid; another Who Shot Billy the Kid and Phantom Of Lincoln County, Billy the Kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Sudance

OldGoat wrote: »
    Graffiti is a plural, graffito is singular.
    It's still vandalism though. :mad:

Ahhh so thaaaat's why Banksy is so highly sought after....and elusive. Nothing to do with his art at all, the sneaky fecker lol

looksee wrote: »
    I have just realised that I always vaguely (very vaguely) thought Cerberus - the spotty dog - and Cerebos - salt - were the same word. Enlightenment on a Thursday morning.

This is a kind of reverse 'easy quiz' -- we will give you the answer, you invent the question :D

Sel is salt, and salt is what the Roman gladiators used to be paid in. The word salary is derived from Sel. I wonder does that mean Cerbos was not only a spotty bitch, but a salaried one at that....Jesus, some things never change. We've got one at work.

Steve wrote: »
    Hibernea, what the Romans called 'Ireland', means land of winter, they weren't wrong. It's also where 'hibernate' comes from. :)

Wow, who'd have guessed that one. Mind you, we can't complain this year (yet), so far it's been a grand winter!

Sudance wrote: »
    Ahhh so thaaaat's why Banksy is so highly sought after....and elusive. Nothing to do with his art at all, the sneaky fecker lol
    That particular discussion is ongoing over in AH forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057487045
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I love Banksy!

Wrong thread I know, but I don't care, and no-one overhead me!. :P

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I love Banksy!

Wrong thread I know, but I don't care, and no-one overhead me!. :P

What was that?

Did anyone just say something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Nope! Not a word. ;)

In Scandinavian countries it is considered impolite to use someone's name in, say, a fb post or text, not sure how it works with talking! Apparently it looks as though you feel you have to remind them what their name is!

So we say (for example) 'Rube, I agree with what you are saying' intending to be polite, they take it as unduly personal.

That's the way I understand it anyway, maybe someone can offer a bit more authoritative info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Sudance wrote: »
    Wow, who'd have guessed that one. Mind you, we can't complain this year (yet), so far it's been a grand winter!

The correct spelling is Hibernia - just for the record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

PMBC wrote: »
    The correct spelling is Hibernia - just for the record

We're old here. Typos happen with arthritic fingers.

We're old here. Typos happen with arthritic fingers.

And arthritic thumbs, dodgy knees too. Ever tried to type with dodgy knees ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

looksee wrote: »
    I

AKA. Jeopardy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Muffin the Mule is not a criminal offence.

Not your ornery onager

It is in donkey society

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Rubecula wrote: »
    It is in donkey society

See my avatar! :D

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    See my avatar! :D

I have studied it carefully, several times, but I cannot make out what it is!

correction - it just untangled itself!

On the subject of avatars we all know that in the computer age avatars are icons representing users but the older Hindu definition is more applicable to me.
    "a manifestation of a deity or released soul in bodily form on earth; an incarnate divine teacher." :)

According to Mrs.Goat I look like a fat Buddha, dance with the grace of Ganesha and (after a few oysters) have more hands than Shiva.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    On the subject of avatars we all know that in the computer age avatars are icons representing users but the older Hindu definition is more applicable to me.
    "a manifestation of a deity or released soul in bodily form on earth; an incarnate divine teacher." :)

According to Mrs.Goat I look like a fat Buddha, dance with the grace of Ganesha and (after a few oysters) have more hands than Shiva.

And modest with it :p

Advertisement