Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

imac sound help

Options
  • 13-08-2015 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

i bought an imac(used)its in perfect condition.i want to hook up a dac,so i installed the driver which was successful and it restarted.then i plugged in the dac and went to sound settings and it is not recognized.i also went to midi set up and it is not there,i tried plugging in head phones and it changes to headphones when i do that.any ideas.

btw,i am more used to using a windows set up not a mac.

i tried using different usb cables and a different usb port.

cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

What version of OS X are you using? (Apple Icon > About This Mac > Version 10.x.x)

If I remember correctly, a friend of mine had a similar problem a while back, and he read this was something to do with the power management feature of the OS, basically trying to use as little power as possible, and this was causing the problem. He could restart the machine a few times and then it would work - obviously not a great solution of course.

In the end he got an external USB hub and plugged the DAC into this and it immediately worked. So if you have an external hub, I'd suggest testing this, or try and get a loan of one if you can before going out and buying one. This solved his issues anyway, could be the same for yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭johnboy8

mine i believe is from 2008,its a 19" inch screen with the ports vertical on the left hand side of the machine at the back.cheers.

when i search for teac(make of dac)in the computer i dont see any programs or drivers saved on the mac even though it successfully loads.is that normal.(on the windows system it can be found in programs)

its a imac g5....powermac 8.2........powermac g5(3.0)

found the driver,but it wont run/read it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

What version of OS X are you using? (Apple Icon > About This Mac > Version 10.x.x)

Did you download the correct driver for the OS version?

I mentioned this to said friend over the weekend, no idea why it popped into my head, but it did. He said the external USB hub fixed this for him.

Advertisement