Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have a "twitter" account

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

BrensBenz wrote: »

Regarding "2 virile, 30 something heterosexual offspring", ehhhmmm, that's not really how it works. See, you need ONE virile one and one that isn't virile. If you like, PM me for details.

For clarity, both are Male, so I won't be PM'ing you for any details.

I have a good appreciation of " how it works "

Thanks anyway, plus all those who decided my input is a source of ridicule, now I know why this Forum is dying, or in fact Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

martinn123 wrote: »

Thanks anyway, plus all those who decided my input is a source of ridicule, now I know why this Forum is dying, or in fact Dead.

There was absolutely no intention on my part to cause you any offence and I apologise unreservedly if I have done so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

martinn123 wrote: »

I am not happy that posters feel they are being ridiculed especially in a friendly and mature forum like this. PM me or looksee with details if you feel this is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Martinn123, so sorry you were upset - it wasn't really ridicule, just the rather childish level of exchange that passes for humour here. I was as involved as anyone, and I unreservedly apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I also apologise Martinn. It was my usual gibberish. Actually thought you were playing along with us though! Usually after following conversations here people would get a general idea of what has been going on in here. I assumed you were 'one of the gang' so to speak and that you understood our tone is usually light hearted and humorous. I had no idea that you being serious about Twitter. Again my apologies for getting it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Oneunited

Got an account, but use it mainly to get information rather than spread it. Having said that there have been one or two untelevised sporting events I've visited where I've known some of my contacts would appreciate info, and I have been happy to mention score updates and the like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I have an account...well two accounts really. One is for junk and the other is my 'clean' account where only non-trivial stuff goes. I do the same on Facebook, one real account and one trivial account.
    Twitter doesn't suit my needs. The limited size of messages is my main bugbear. It also needs too much maintenance to remove stuff I really don't want to see.

The #hashtags are such a pain in the nads that some people insist on creating. #pain #nads #creating #somepeople #somepeoplehashtagpainnads.

Some groups that I'm attached too prefer to use Twitter for making announcements - archery club, photography club, cigar club etc., and it's just for those updates that I have to keep my Twitter feed going.

I do wish there were a simple unified messaging system. I miss netsend.
    And Usenet alt., rec.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

The #hashtags are such a pain in the nads that some people insist on creating. #pain #nads #creating #somepeople #somepeoplehashtagpainnads.

Sorry for my ignorance, but could you translate into plain English, please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Hashtags are a way of searching and linking to other messages or tweets in Twitter. If you add a hashtag to a message you will be linked to any other tweet that uses the same hashtag.

If for example I wanted to find out about a Boards beers meetup I would include the hashtag #BoardsBeers as it's a common enough phrase and used frequently. Anyone else using the same hashtag would be linked to my tweet.

It's a clever little device but over abused so that the meat of the message gets lost amongst the numerous hashtags entered by some users.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Sorry, OldGoat, I still not quite sure. Do the hashtags act like an internet address line which uses the forward slash? As in:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I love twitter and use it every day.

And I dont use facebook at all.

Twitter is completely different, its an information source not a keep-in-touch-with-friends facebook type social thing.

At least the way I use it.

Sorry, OldGoat, I still not quite sure. Do the hashtags act like an internet address line which uses the forward slash? As in:

No.

If you want to search on "Dublin Weather" for instance you can search on "Dublin Weather" but you'll get every post that has those two words and not necessarily the weather conditions in Dublin.

So you type #DublinWeather and you'll most likely (not guaranteed!) get a more accurate result.

Its not essential to use the hashtags at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I don't use my Facebook page for communicating or sharing photos, and it is set to 'private'. But I have 'liked' a few sites that I want to get updates from and that suits me well enough. I have to say even after OG's explanation I'm still not sold on Twitter. It sounds like information overload and I'm overloaded enough at present.

Ditti for me, Jellybaby1. I,m not even convinced to give it a try.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    It sounds like information overload and I'm overloaded enough at present.

I understand. I think new tech can be intimidating because one doesnt know how to use it. It can seem like overload.

Its a bit like looking at row of encyclopedias and saying its info overload. But once you pick a topic to research then suddenly its not so overwhelming anymore.

An example of my use of twitter is having it open on my tablet as I watch football matches. The hastag means I only get relevant comments on the match I'm watching and I can make comments and ask questions as the game is going on.

Much like following a thread on Boards.

Advertisement