Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop under performing

• 25-01-2013 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I bought a laptop just over a month ago, and I feel that it isn't performing as well as it should, at times it's quite slow, and even freezes and I have to restart when playing games.

These are the specs

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 3610QM (2.30GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M Graphics, Optimus™ technology

2GB DDR3

6GB DDR3 System Memory at 1600MHz (4GB x 1 + 2GB x 1)

1TB S-ATA II Hard Drive (5400RPM)

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-peripherals/notebook-computers/high-performance/NP550P7C-S02UK

It's a very new laptop, and cost a fair bit, I expect it to perform better, does anyone know how I can help it to perform better, or see what might be slowing it down?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

OEM installations are riddled with Bloatware, the more the merrier seems to be their motto. Also the platter hard drive certainly is a performance bottle neck.

You can try and remove/disable the bloatware but if I were you I would replace the HDD with a solid state drive and install Windows from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭xK Marcus

Is there no possible simpler solution then to buy something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Your graphics card is not turned on.

The optimus thingy tries to save battery by turning graphics acceleration off when not needed. Problem is it doesn't seem to work very well. Just force it to on and you should have no more speed problems. It's only important if you are running off battery - and if you are playing games on battery then you won't last long anyway.

Srsly78, I just went in to device management to check, it said that it's working fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Run some benchmarks on it and see if people with similar hard (processors and graphics and hard drives) get the similar speeds.

• Advertisement

xK Marcus wrote: »
    Srsly78, I just went in to device management to check, it said that it's working fine.

You aren't understanding me. The nvidia optimus technology manages this, open the nvidia control panel and enable it there (normal device manager has nothing to do with this). I am 99% sure this is your problem because it has happened to everyone I know with an optimus graphics card.

Srsly78, I've opened the Nvidia control panel and am not sure which part I need to enable. Under the '3D Settings' tab, there is "Set Physx Configuration" where the processor is currently on auto-select, and have the option to select Nvidia GT 650. Then, under 'Video' tab, there is "Adjust Video Colour Settings" and "Adjust Video Image Settings", both of which are set to "Use Video Player Settings" and I have the option to set it to "Nvidia Settings". Am I supposed to change only one or two of these, or all?

BostonB, I downloaded and ran a Benchmarking Software and got these results, I'm not sure if people will be able to understand from these pictures if it's decent or not, I'm not sure I do, but here they are.

130125202708.png

130125202720.png

Advertisement