Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing other games in a series when a sequel is released

Options
  • 03-01-2013 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭

Was just wondering, if a new sequel for a game comes out that interests you and you haven't played the others in the series, what do you do?

Would you just buy the game and play it, go back and play every game from the beginning before playing the new one or just play the more recent games in the series(like if the game series was released on PS2 and PS3, would you just play PS3 games)?

Personally I try and go back to the beginning(or at least to the latest reboot) and play them in order of release.

Of course I just mean this in regard to story based games rather than sports games like FIFA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

If its a story based game then yeah, I'd want to follow it from the start. For instance Bioshock 2 is free on PS+ at the moment but I wouldn't play it until I've played the first game.

I hear FIFA13 is quite good but I haven't played it since FIFA'99 so I've a long way to go before I catch up :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Interesting question! I've never played any of the Assassins Creed games and was going to pick them up on the Steam sale (may still do it if they reappear on the last day), but plenty of peeps told me not to bother with the first.

From a story viewpoint (and yeah, somewhat of an ocd sufferer's viewpoint), I'd like to play them all, but I do worry that a choresome first installment might put me off playing the rest, or at least delay their playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I had that moment the other day when I saw Mass Effect 3 for cheap, though I feel I should at least play ME2 before hitting ME3. Then there are games I won't play as I haven't played the first game and don't really want to either. There are also games I don't worry about where the game is a complete story in itself and. I played Uncharted 2 without worrying about the first game. I think you could play U3 without playing the other games either. I did play God of War 3 without play 1 or 2 and I felt I missed out on something by not playing it. Worst case I guess you can always read the plot in Wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

most games you can pick up in the series and start playing unless it is something like Mass Effect
    games like Far Cry, Elder Scrolls can be picked up on any title as they don't follow a story

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Strange thing is I have a pretty bad memory so I forget a lot of the plot anyway. I think I also just like to play the earlier ones first due to the fact the later games may ruin it. Like if I played Assassin's Creed 2 before playing AC1, I might find it more of a drag, partially due to spoilers and partially due to the quality supposedly improving in the later games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I usually would but I never played Far Cry 2 because of poor reviews and glad I went straight to Far Cry 3 because it was bloody brilliant. Saying that, neither games are linked anyway.

However, I played only a few hours of Assassins Creed 1 and hated it Tried it again a few months later and same deal. I reluctantly tried AC 2 and it was my favourite game that year. So sometimes it's better to look up youtube vids for the story of a sh*tty game in the series to get onto a better one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I never got around to playing God of War 3 when I originally had a PS3 but had completed the first 2 on the PS2. Recently bought a PS3 again with God of War Collection and 3 so I'm currently playing through 1 again at the moment as I had forgotten the story. Once this is completed then its onto 2 and finally 3.

I don't mind replaying them as been years since I first played them. It also helps when you enjoy the gameplay and of course a HD remake is always a plus :)

I do agree though that there a quite a few games where you can pick up a game a later in the series and not have missed anything as they are not a true sequal (Far Cry for example) while there are some where having played the originals really add to the expierience of a true sequal e.g. Mass Effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I had The Witcher 2 bought on my Steam account months before it came out....have played 9 minutes since Ive not finished the first.

Also want to give the Yakuza games a try but probably wait to see if the HD version of 1+2 make it over here/has an English sub for importing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    I had The Witcher 2 bought on my Steam account months before it came out....have played 9 minutes since Ive not finished the first.

Also want to give the Yakuza games a try but probably wait to see if the HD version of 1+2 make it over here/has an English sub for importing.

Exact same. I want to play Witcher 2, but can't get through more than 2-3 hours of the first without being bored. So haven't bothered, even though I own both

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

SeantheMan wrote: »

Exact same. I want to play Witcher 2, but can't get through more than 2-3 hours of the first without being bored. So haven't bothered, even though I own both

I was the same, found the Witcher a slog at the start but the story gets better as the game progresses

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Gunmonkey wrote: »

If you buy Yakuza 3 or 4 you can watch some videos that explain the events of the previous games. So you could still buy Yakuza 3, watch the videos describing the events of the first 2 games and dive right into the third like i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,648 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Halo 3 was pretty darn cheap, so I picked it up. Played a lot like Halo 2, fairly underwhelming experience in contrast.

Did however pick up Halo 4, and the first 15 minutes of the game were certainly fresh.

Also saw War for Cybertron for $5 and gave that a go. Really repetitive corridor-shooter, but they do a nice job livening it up with eye candy and banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Skerries wrote: »
    most games you can pick up in the series and start playing unless it is something like Mass Effect

Oddly enough, I couldn't get into Mass Effect the first few times I tried, I never managed to keep interest past Noveria. Then I played through Mass Effect 2, despite feeling like I'd be missing something. It was odd, seeing these characters that I knew were important (I'd met Tali, Wrex, Ashley/Kaiden and Garrus at the stage I'd gotten to in ME1) but not really having much attachment.

After I completed ME2, I went back and finally managed a playthrough of ME1, thoroughly enjoyed it. Then went and did ME2 again, and enjoyed it more. I've played through both a few times now. So it is possible... though probably not recommended, as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I really like mass effect 2, but I can't stand 1.

Advertisement