Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running my own Personal Training business. Am I eligible to sponsor myself?

Options
  • 26-03-2015 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

As the title suggests. I'm currently working as a Personal Trainer in Australia. I have my own ABN number. I train people in a commercial gym some of the time but also train my own clients outdoors in various locations. Technically, I am self employed.

It's early days. I've only just started my 2nd Year Visa but I can see myself doing this for a long time. Business is picking up fast and I have a lot of clients who are happy with my services.

Just wondering, would I be eligible to pay for my own sponsorship to stay in the country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

I think you may have to employ someone to be eligible. I spoke to a guy recently that was trying to do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

CM24 wrote: »
    As the title suggests. I'm currently working as a Personal Trainer in Australia. I have my own ABN number. I train people in a commercial gym some of the time but also train my own clients outdoors in various locations. Technically, I am self employed.

It's early days. I've only just started my 2nd Year Visa but I can see myself doing this for a long time. Business is picking up fast and I have a lot of clients who are happy with my services.

Just wondering, would I be eligible to pay for my own sponsorship to stay in the country?

Out of interest what kind of salary does one make in a career in personal training in Aus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

As far as I can see you don't need to employ somebody. Some quick googling found some info. http://paxmigration.com.au/self-sponsor/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Personally I think your dreaming. But I have seen blokes going door to door "saying"!they are sponsored

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

No you need a Porfession on CSOL list https://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/csol.aspx

Fitness Instructor -ANZSCO 452111 was on one of the older SOLs but was removed a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

mandrake04 wrote: »
    No you need a Porfession on CSOL list https://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/csol.aspx

Fitness Instructor -ANZSCO 452111 was on one of the older SOLs but was removed a long time ago.

If it is CSOL then he could sponsor himself under

Other Sports Coach or Instructor 452317 VETASSESS

But I was under the impression it was SOL for self sponsorship and only CSOL if using an umbrella company?

Could be wrong on that. Sorry if I am.

Batgurl wrote: »
    If it is CSOL then he could sponsor himself under

Other Sports Coach or Instructor 452317 VETASSESS

But I was under the impression it was SOL for self sponsorship and only CSOL if using an umbrella company?

It is what it is https://www.acacia-au.com/anzsco/452111.php

And not on any list

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Out of interest what kind of salary does one make in a career in personal training in Aus?
    It's going to vary hugely. Where I'm currently training the average for a 1 hour gym session is $80-120. So, if you get 7 clients training twice a week each, you're sorted.

You do have to pay rent to the gym for the use of their facilities though. Mine is ramping up month by month. First month is rent free, then it's 90,180 and finally 275 per week for as long as you work there.

The thing is, I'm working in a beachy suburb, full of young backpackers. Not really the market who can afford trainers. There's so many gyms and dedicated personal training studios around here that it makes it hard to find clients. I presumed I could just hang around the gym and people would come in looking to be trained. That's not been the case though. For my first 2 weeks I got no clients. I signed the contract and started right away, with absolutely no idea of how to attract clients. I paid 770 in start up fees for the uniform, business cards and a club poster. The cards and poster haven't arrived til now though. So I was just hanging around the gym floor trying to offer advice and giving a load of free sessions.

It's picking up now though. I've started being pro-active and advertising myself online.

I'm in my third week now and I've got one guy training 3x a week, $90 a session and then I'm doing some cheaper outdoor sessions. A few more people are due to start with me next week. I'm pretty much on call 24/7 at the mo cos everyones inquiring about rates and availability and stuff. I'm trying to accomodate everyone and it's a lot of work. Once I get a solid committed client base and get them all paying on weekly direct debit I can relax and start to enjoy it.

I think bootcamps would be the real money spinner but that's not my style.

If I was really money hungry I could start advertising seminars and classes and go around all the local businesses trying to get people to come in for them. I'm happy doing 1 to 1 training for the time being though.

And not on any list
    This is devastating. I love the lifestyle where I'm living. Getting up at 6am to go train isn't even a chore in this country! I'll have to find some way to stay!

I heard about an Irish lad in Melbourne who's running his own Crossfit gym and apparently he sponsored himself. That's where I got the idea from. Would Crossfit qualify as an umberella company?

No.

Crossfit is like a noun.

Seriously unless you personally know these guys first hand, I would take those story's lightly.

Have you enquires with an immigration agent?

And not on any list

I'm confused. I found that title and code on the CSOL list that you just posted?

That's the official IMMI list right? So why are this other crowd saying it's not eligible for CSOL?

• Advertisement

I'm confused. I found that title and code on the CSOL list that you just posted?

No you didn't.

Fitness Instructor - ANZSCO 452111 is not on The CSOL

Look here https://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/csol.aspx

Which is clearly what the OP is.

No you didn't.

Fitness Instructor - ANZSCO 452111 is not on The CSOL

Look here https://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/csol.aspx

Which is clearly what the OP is.

Sorry we have our wires crossed.

I'm saying that "other sports coach or instructor" as per my original post, not fitness instructor, is on that list you posted.

Why couldn't the OP qualify under that?

Sorry we have our wires crossed.

I'm saying that "other sports coach or instructor" as per my original post, not fitness instructor, is on that list you posted.

Why couldn't the OP qualify under that?

Maybe he could but likely his current job description suits the fitness instructor better and immigration would knock it back, they are not stupid.

All I'm saying is Fitness Instructor (Personal Trainer) used to be on the old schedule SOL lists and it was taken off.

If the OP is a sports coach or sport instructor then he would probably have track record of doing so https://www.acacia-au.com/anzsco/452317.php. but from the description is totally different.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

I haven't looked in to this but if you set up a legitimate company (more than just ABN number), could you sponsor yourself as managing director?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,139 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

s.c wrote: »
    I haven't looked in to this but if you set up a legitimate company (more than just ABN number), could you sponsor yourself as managing director?
    In principle, yes, if the legitimate company has a legitimate business and is legitimately employing you for the purposes of that business in an occupation which is on the list and you legitimately have the qualifications to be employed in that occupation, and if the legitimate company can legitimately meet all the tests which a company unrelated to you would have to meet.

s.c wrote: »

Aside from the above a startup business can only sponsor the applicant on a 457 visa for max 12 months .....once 12 months is up and if the company is still financial and viable then sponsoring again possibly for more than 12 months this time.

Also the business after all the usual running costs of Taxes, GST, insurances etc plus training benchmark costs it must pay the 457 holder PAYE gross of at least $53900 + Super from the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,100 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They are virtually all self employed so none are earning a salary.

And not on any list
    Mandrake is right here.

PT is not on the CSOL. It falls under fitness instructor, despite being a step up.

Sports Coach is on the CSOL though. https://www.acacia-au.com/anzsco/452317.php
    But you'd need to be working as a strength and conditionin coach to qualify there.

SOL is for independent migration.
    CSOL is for sponsored migration.

Independent isn't self-sponsorship though. Self sponsorship in the OPs case, is where the applicant has set up the sponsoring company.
    The thing is, I'm working in a beachy suburb, full of young backpackers. Not really the market who can afford trainers. There's so many gyms and dedicated personal training studios around here that it makes it hard to find clients.
    Which suburb?
    asking because you'd have much more people paying for PTs in the eastern suburbs, northern beaches etc, compared to the clubs further west. The CBD clubs would also be very busy with busy people looking to be told what to do.
    So I was just hanging around the gym floor trying to offer advice and giving a load of free sessions.
    That's essentially how you do it. Offer free advice, free sessions, a small % will want to continue. Once it picks up, word of mouth keeps it rolling.

Consider doing PT sessions with clients in 2s or 3s, each pays a reduced rate, say $50 in 2s or $40 in 3s. It's more affordable for them, beginners are less intimidated, and your hourly rate goes up.
    I think bootcamps would be the real money spinner but that's not my style.
    what you you charge though? $10 a head per session. A 60min sessions takes up almost 90 mins of your time. Which means you need to be averaging 12 to 15 people. It's probably a good way to meet clients to build a one-on-one base, but I'd doubt it would be a big earner long term.
    I heard about an Irish lad in Melbourne who's running his own Crossfit gym and apparently he sponsored himself. That's where I got the idea from. Would Crossfit qualify as an umberella company?
    Crossfit is a franchise. Each box is an individual business.
    If you had somebody to enter into it with, you could run it as a business in his name, sponsoring you. But the costs of setting up a CF box are going to be huge.

Mick McCarthy would be a sports coach isn't that it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,100 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zambia wrote: »
    Mick McCarthy would be a sports coach isn't that it.
    Yeah. If he got a job with Sydney FC, they could stick him on a 457.

Advertisement