Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Forum AMA - boneyarsebogman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For comedy perfection you could use the entire 6 episode series of Police Squad.

But for this, think I'll go the obvious route of Buffy episode "The Body". "Mom? Mom? Mommy?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks like CastorTroy has answered all his questions, so thanks for that... :)

Next in the hotseat - ixoy!

1. Best new show of the season?
    2. Worst new show of the season (that you tried watching)?

Woohoo! I survived. To summarise, Banshee, Veronica Mars, Harper's Island are all great.

Right questions:

Is there any scripted series you watch that you think should end?

Can you name 1 series you watch and 1 series you used to watch that you think is underrated and doesn't/didn't get enough viewers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

1. Who, if any, is your 'must watch' male/female actor? Who if they are cast in a show you take another look?

2. Got any 'hate-watch' shows that you just can't shake off? :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

1 - If you could recast 2 roles in any show you watch who would you replace and who with? (either 2 from the same show or 1 each from 2 different shows)

2 - If you could pitch your own TV show what kind of show would it be? Vague outline or genre is fine... or if there's a film or game or something you'd like to see get the TV treatment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Mr E wrote: »
    1. Best new show of the season?
    Currently really enjoying '12 Monkeys' despite only seeing the first four episodes. It seems it really knows what it's doing and hasn't yet insulted my intelligence.
    That or 'Better Call Saul' but that's got less opportunity to do anything radical.
    Worst new show of the season (that you tried watching)?
    I haven't picked up any new bad shows yet. I tend to let other people watch them and gauge an opinion based on their reactions.
    Of those that I still watch 'Dominion' is the weakest. It has potential but definitely hasn't realised it yet.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Popular answer is 'Supernatural'.. which is probably fair but if you're not just talking dramas then 'Modern Family' which I watch but really is rather stale.
    I dropped 'Bones' earlier this year as otherwise that'd be the answer.
    Can you name 1 series you watch and 1 series you used to watch that you think is underrated and doesn't/didn't get enough viewers?
    You wouldn't think it's under rated judging by these AMAs: Banshee! Why aren't more people watching it? It's gloriously insane.

'Terminator: The Sarah Conor Chronicles' didn't get enough viewers and had real potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

What TV character is most similar to yourself, personality wise?

Who was your first ever TV crush and who's your current TV crush?

pixelburp wrote: »
    1. Who, if any, is your 'must watch' male/female actor? Who if they are cast in a show you take another look?
    Always keep an eye for casting for John Noble. Was delighted when he got cast for Sleepy Hollow,
    Got any 'hate-watch' shows that you just can't shake off? :)
    Up until 3 weeks ago it was 'Bones' but, after nearly 10 seasons, I shook it off.
    'How I Met Your Mother' I stuck with until its bitter end. I've purged myself of dead weight shows in the last while.

1 - If you could recast 2 roles in any show you watch who would you replace and who with? (either 2 from the same show or 1 each from 2 different shows)
    I'd replace Aidan Gillen from 'Game of Thrones' with Tom Cavanagh from 'The Flash'. He seems to be good at presenting a different face to whoever he needs to without hamming it up.

If you could pitch your own TV show what kind of show would it be? Vague outline or genre is fine... or if there's a film or game or something you'd like to see get the TV treatment.
    The 'Mass Effect' series would make a great TV show. There's a huge amount of llre already there with a lot of scope for different races, planets and an overarching plot line.

• Advertisement

What TV character is most similar to yourself, personality wise?
    I'm told it's Mitchell from 'Modern Family' or Mark from 'Peep Show'.
    Who was your first ever TV crush and who's your current TV crush?
    Jessie Spencer in his role as Billy Kennedy from 'Neighbours'. Kept on delivering the eye candy in 'House' too, although haven't gotten into 'Chicago Fire'.

Now: Quite probably Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen in 'Arrow' or maybe Grant Gustin in 'The Flash'. CW pick pretty people!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think I watched the first six or so episodes of Banshee but dropped it because it was just something I was watching for the sake. Is there a point where it really kicks off that I didn't get to eg Agents of Shield episode 12 or if I didn't get into it after 6 episodes am I a lost cause?

What was the first series you remember watching from start to finish?

Are there any scripted shows you're reluctant to admit you watch, maybe due to you not being the target demographic? Or I guess a better way to put it: What's your guilty pleasure?

Which film actor would you like to see get his/her own series?

Would I be right in saying all the TV shows mentioned so far, old and new, have been US ones? Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Is there any show that came along and changed your personality or path in life as you were growing up? (eg. For me it would be Buffy The Vampire Slayer because until then my main influences was within the education system or however my family tried to mold me, but watching Buffy allowed me to break out of my shell)

What's your favourite TV theme song?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

which unadapted tv show do you consider the most intelligent, where a viewers commitment to the show pays off,

what 5 shows were you sorry to see get canceled

Should we cap the scope of questions? I fear we are only a couple of AMAs away from "what are your top 17 reality shows", or "top 25 comedies beginning with vowels".

(Just an observation!) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Should we cap the scope of questions? I fear we are only a couple of AMAs away from "what are your top 17 reality shows", or "top 25 comedies beginning with vowels".

yeah lets keep it at 5 at the most ;)

Am I the only one who really wants to ask this question now? ;)

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    What was the first series you remember watching from start to finish?
    Due to the old way of TV viewing (by whatever you managed to tape whenever the channels broadcast it), I think it'd be 'The X-Fi;es'. I only got in with episode 9 but I didn't miss any after that and caught up with the earlier ones pretty quickly.

Are there any scripted shows you're reluctant to admit you watch, maybe due to you not being the target demographic? Or I guess a better way to put it: What's your guilty pleasure?
    It was 'Desperate Housewives', which I've seen every episode of. Maybe now it's "Dragons: Riders of Berk"? Sure it's a kids show but it's enjoyable and quite funny at times.
    Which film actor would you like to see get his/her own series?
    Edward Norton. He's a strong actor and he's not doing much film work so surely he's available.

Is there any show that came along and changed your personality or path in life as you were growing up? (eg. For me it would be Buffy The Vampire Slayer because until then my main influences was within the education system or however my family tried to mold me, but watching Buffy allowed me to break out of my shell)
    Doctor Who really! I've watched it my whole life. When it stopped airing, I would get up early on weekend mornings to watch repeats on Super channel. In my teenage years I began collecting all the spin off novels and I've several hundred read by now.
    It's the only show I've been involved with all my life.
    What's your favourite TV theme song?
    Ever? Too difficult! Current ones: Black Sails and The Leftovers, the latter is beautiful but depressing. Oh and Doctor Who too - my favourite version being the '80s electronic synth from the late Tom Baker / Peter Davison era.

don ramo wrote: »
    which unadapted tv show do you consider the most intelligent, where a viewers commitment to the show pays off,
    The Wire and Fringe. Fringe brought everything quite neatly at the end, and tied together multiple plot arcs involving all sorts of craziness. But it also gave characters closure.
    The Wire for successfully tying together multiple themes too and its steadfast commitment to doing things as realistically as possible. Even more rewarding, in some ways, watching it over years as it aired rather than the rest of ye band wagon jumpers!
    what 5 shows were you sorry to see get canceled
    Terminator: The Sarah Conor Chronicles, Stargate: Universe, Tron: Uprising, Happy Endings, Farscape. Firefly is just too common an answer.

"top 25 comedies beginning with vowels".
    American Dad, Arrested Development, Episodes, Extras, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, United States of Tara (it's a dramedy)...Eh...,
    Edited Update to add to Also Starring LeVar Burton's list: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, A Touch of Cloth.

ixoy wrote: »
    American Dad, Arrested Development, Episodes, Extras, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, United States of Tara (it's a dramedy)...Eh...,

You could also have Only Fools and Horses, Undeclared, Archer, ALF to name a few more...

• Advertisement

What series that you watch is much better than you expected it to be from either the fact it sounded stupid or was a remake/based on a movie? So basically it has no right to be as excellent as it is

What series that you watch is much better than you expected it to be from either the fact it sounded stupid or was a remake/based on a movie? So basically it has no right to be as excellent as it is
    'Person of Interest' sounded like a standard procedural but is far better than that. So many many times better.
    'Arrow' is much better than I thought it'd be, partially because I had expected the Oliver Queen from 'Smallville'.

What's the most shocking/surprising moment in tv for you?

What's the saddest moment?

(Probably better to name the series then spoiler tag the event)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭squonk

1. What TV series promised so much but ended up delivering so little?

2. What are the top 2 to 5 greatest TV show moments you've watched do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

What would be your go to show to just sit down and watch knowing its going to give you a content and comforting feeling for 30 minutes/hour? I'm just watching the Inbetweeners now atm despite seeing it countless times to preface the question.

This thread is a fantastic idea too, really enjoying it :)

• Advertisement

What's the most shocking/surprising moment in tv for you?
    Recently, that scene from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D last year. Anyone who watches it knows the one I mean.

Other ones include from Southland's fifth season:
    when Cooper and his partner get kidnapped and the druggie just kills Cooper's partner

And from 'Twin Peaks' my first big shock:
    How's Annie? How's Annie!

What's the saddest moment?
    Well there's some sadness with the finales to shows like 'Person of Interest' or 'Babylon 5' or 'Fringe' as you say goodbye to the shows. But the worst has to be the closing montage in 'Six Feet Under'. That was very heavy!

squonk wrote: »
    1. What TV series promised so much but ended up delivering so little?
    'The Strain' recently (and that should be the answer to the question of which new season was the most rubbish that I dropped).
    Of the bigger ones 'The Walking Dead'. I keep thinking I'm missing something but it just seems like a soap opera.
    What are the top 2 to 5 greatest TV show moments you've watched do you think?
    That's a big one. I'll try and pick a handful from different shows that aren't just twists or cliff hangers:

Banshee - That fight scene in the third episode of season three. Anyone who saw it knows exactly what I mean.

True Detective - The six minute single-shot through the small town.

The Shield - When
    Shane gets ratted out as McKay watches

Death Note - The penultimate episode show down racketed up the tension unbearably for me.

Game of Thrones - The fourth season's epic battle in the eight episode. First time I really felt TV had reached Hollywood levels of scale.

What would be your go to show to just sit down and watch knowing its going to give you a content and comforting feeling for 30 minutes/hour? I'm just watching the Inbetweeners now atm despite seeing it countless times to preface the question.
    I rarely re-watch shows because there's so many new ones out there but.. I think it'd be 'Stargate: SG-1'. The cast always bonded so well and for a large part it always struck a good balance between the humour and drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,568 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What theme tune do you love so much you would use on your mobile as a ringtone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Is there a TV genre you can't stand?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What theme tune do you love so much you would use on your mobile as a ringtone?
    I used one of the score from 'Ulysses 31' although not the actual theme tune. I think I used 'Millennium' before actually despite it being so miserable. Note to self: Time for a new ring tone. Maybe 'Vikings'.

KKkitty wrote: »
    Is there a TV genre you can't stand?
    Reality TV. Even more specifically the "talent" show genre. Full of the same old talentless singers with the usual bland back story and sycophantic gushings. Ugh.

Thanks ixoy.... :)

Next in the hotseat: squonk!

I'll go with my staples:

1. Best new show of the 2014/2015 Season?
    2. Worst new show of the 2014/2015 Season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Worst character in an otherwise brilliant show?

2 - Is there an actor/actress on a current TV show you feel either deserves to be on a much better show or is seriously dragging down an otherwise brilliant cast. Referring to their acting rather than their character.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Do you watch much sport? What is the best and worst coverage?

Side note: I see Christina Ricci has a new series starting sson, so looks like my tv crush answer changes. :)

1. Best new show of the 2014/2015 Season?
    Hmm... that's a hard one. The answer that jumps out at me is Empire. It was a show that was just so tight but also flashy and brash and just downright entertaining. I can't think of one dull or filler peisode. Honourable mention must go to The Flash (what's not to like) and Scorpion which started very poorly but has just turned into such a fun, must watch show. Jane The Virgin too must figure because it's fun but though I stil llike it, I don't quite enjoy it as much. The novelty has worn off slightly.
    2. Worst new show of the 2014/2015 Season?
    I stopped watching the really bad ones I think. Of the ones I'm still half watching I'd say it's a tie between Constantine and How To Get Away With Murder. Controversial I know to pick HTGAWM but it'd never done much for me. I never felt it deserved all the acclaim it got.

Worst character in an otherwise brilliant show?
    Undoubtedly Craig from Parks and Recreation. Utterly pointless character that ruined every scene he was in. Generally annoying characters just get written better over time. He was just awful. I do remember that season of House where the cop pulled House over and then just hung around watching him like a bad smell for the rest of the season without any real payoff. That annoyed me so much!

Gosh that's a hard one. I'd have recast Fiona from Burn Notice with Keri Russell. Keri is an amazing actress. I always felt Fiona fell flat because of the acting. Believe it or not I'd recast Stephen Amell in Arrow. His acting is wooden on Oliver. Maybe Elyes Gabel from Scorpion would be a good fit. In fairness to Stephen Amell though, he may be suffering from the writing more than his ability.
    2 - Is there an actor/actress on a current TV show you feel either deserves to be on a much better show or is seriously dragging down an otherwise brilliant cast. Referring to their acting rather than their character.

Easy! Rick Hoffman! He's been knocking it out of the park on Suits for so long now. He's the dynamo of that show and the show just goes through the motions a lot of the time. I'm looking forward to seeing him in something more substantial post Suits. The guy deserves it so much!

Do you watch much sport? What is the best and worst coverage?

Really not a sports fan to be honest. IN fact, it was sports coverage that let me to seek out TV online in the first place after several evenings a week had Champions League I decided to get FTA Sattelite and then when I realised the FTA channels were full of repeats I started to weigh the alternatives.

Now, to answer the question, I think RTE do some good coverage. I like Ryle Nugent for the bit of rugby I do watch and Ted Walsh is always entertaining even though I'm not into racing really.

squonk wrote: »
    Easy! Rick Hoffman! He's been knocking it out of the park on Suits for so long now. He's the dynamo of that show and the show just goes through the motions a lot of the time. I'm looking forward to seeing him in something more substantial post Suits. The guy deserves it so much!

I stopped watching Suits a while ago but I would agree. I'd also say Sarah Rafferty could be brilliant on a better show.

I think Suits probably should bow out. I like the show but they're kind of going around in circles and the only solution is to have Mike qualify as a lawyer or have the entire firm exposed for harbouring a fraud. There's some tension built up around the Mike thing every season which always resolves. It's getting old now. I think it was a premise for a good summer show that proved very successuly and has outlived the lifespan the creators expected. I'd rather they went out on a highish note now.

For a series I watch, the popular answer is Banshee but I do think that show is a bit more widely known than most seem to believe. I've a few friends who are not TV forum regulars who watch the show and like it. Ithink it does alright for itself. For me the absolute number 1 show that deserves a huge audience is Rectify. For me it's about as close to watching perfect TV as I'm ever likely to come. Even on this forum it doesn't seem to get the kind of regard it should.

For a series I used to watch, I have to mention 2 here really. The first is American Gothic from the mid 90's. Gary Cole, Paige Turco and Lucas Black in a show set in the deep south with a shady sherrif casting power over a whole town. It was never clear whether he was satan or just some evil spirit or what exactly he was but it was just fantastic. Sadly it got canceled after 1 season and might be almost forgotten now.

A second is from the late 90's or turn of the century called Now and Again. Margaret Colin, Denish Haysbert and Eric Close in a show about an insurance executive who is pushed under a train. His brain is harvested and put into the body of a younger man (Eric Close) as a weapon in a program run by Denis Haysbert. The problembeing that he's still in love with his wife, Margaret Colin. I liked it because it was the first sci fi show that skipped the fancy computers and focused on the human repercussions. It was also quite quirky and intersting and very well acted by a great cast. Again a one season wonder but it deserved more and even a film would have been great to wrap things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

sexiest bird on tv

• Advertisement

sexiest bird on tv

Brigit Regan, though honourable mention must go to Sarah Rafferty, Catherine Mc Phee and Haylie Atwell!

Advertisement